Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1983 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 944 NA

Year: 2018
Make: Porsche
Model: 0
Cont. Porsche Models: 944
Mileage (numbers only please): 80200
Color: Metallic Gray
VIN: WP0AA0948DN455212
Price (no $ sign please): $3500
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM Radio

1983 Porsche 944 for sale – $3,500

I somehow closed my previous listing so am re-listing with updated pics and information.

I have owned this car for 7 years and have put a lot of time and money into making it a presentable, original car. I purchased it for $3,800 and have invested over $7,000 into maintenance/cosmetics, so I think my asking price is very fair. My family is too big for our house and I need to focus on buying a bigger house so just can’t justify continuing to spend money on a car I only drive 1,000 miles/year.
• At 80,XXX miles, this is a fairly low mileage car that will go for MUCH longer as you well know if you’re a 944 lover. The paint still has a lot of clear coat left although there are a fair amount of minor blemishes as you would expect from a 31 year old car. The previous owner did a lot of touch up to small paint nicks around the car with what appears to be color matched paint. Given that it is a metallic color, they are however, easily seen. I bought it with a dented, right front fender which I had professionally fixed and repainted. While in for paint, they also re-sprayed the front hood section and light covers as they had many rock chips.

This car has been serviced at Don Galbraith Motors (Now Euro Motorcars) in Devon PA since the 90’s by the previous owner and myself and I have all records including the original window sticker. Along with changing the oil every year (approximately every 1000 miles) with Brad Penn - Penn Grade, I have done the following since I have owned it. Total spent on repairs/maintenance/paint is over $7,000.
Some Items replaced/fixed since July 2009:
• New heater control valve
• Replaced internal HVAC switch gear
• Replaced radiator coolant valve
• Replaced all bulbs in HVAC portion of dash
• Battery
• Sunroof seal
• Rear hatch seal
• Both hatch pin seals
• Right side steering knuckle
• AC serviced and Freon filled
• New brake pads and rotors
• Replaced relay for turn signal
• Replaced windshield washer tubing
• New wheel bearings?
• New right side motor mount
• Timing belt (was done in 2009. Dealer recommended replacing last visit and this was not done)
• Water pump
• New shift boot
• New sun visor hardware

Ongoing project:
• Changing out automatic antenna with manual one. The antenna on these cars is poorly located under the front wheel well and is highly susceptible to corrosion and subsequent malfunction. It was recommended to me to make this change to a manual unit since the automatic systems continually fail – plus the radio doesn’t work anyway (see below). I have removed the old unit and have purchased the new manual antenna but have not yet installed it.

Things that are not great:
• The radio doesn’t work. The radio and speakers are original and I guess I could have had it repaired (I like keeping it stock) but I like listening to the engine when I drive anyway.
• The dash has several cracks.
• Gas gauge works but doesn’t show full. Probably a sticking float
• Slight water leak onto trunk carpet under hatch. This has improved to a small drip since I replaced the rear hatch seal.
• There is a cigarette burn on carpeting in between passenger and driver’s seat. I have never smoked in the car but apparently the previous owner did. However, it does not smell of smoke – I never would have purchased it if it did.
• Rear defroster has been disconnected. Previous owner cut the wires for some reason and I have always stored it in the winter so have never needed it.
• Front fog lights are aftermarket and do not work. Additionally the front splitter in which they sit, appears to be slightly misshapen. Another favor from the previous owner
• The car came without a rear view mirror. I purchased a rear view mirror from DC automotive and it is OEM but came off another 944. The metal "pins" that hold the mirror to the mounting piece are a little loose so it is a little wobbly when driving.
• The timing belt was replaced when I bought the car in 2009 (8,000 miles ago). Based upon time, it should be replaced.
• When the car is cold, shifts are not as crisp and require more effort. Once warm, shifting is smooth.
-At last years service, the tech noticed that the odometer stopped working. It began working weeks later but I suspect that it is slow. I am having it repaired next week. The mileage deviation is in the hundreds at most given that I drive less than 1k miles/year.
-I think there is an oil leak at the cam housing. My tech has never mentioned it but believe there is one although it has never affected oil levels so must be a small/slow leak.
-The black paint on the wheels is wearing off.
Attached Images                 
Old 09-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Swiftmotoring
Intermediate

I am interested, please call me at 910-315-2918.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:14 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Adding a picture of the front...
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2016, 10:01 PM
jsrcdr
Advanced

PM sent
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM
dhansen
Instructor

In the interest of transparency and thanks to an interested party asking the right question, I'm including a picture of the underside of the front valence. You can see that there is paint peeling - The valence was "sagging" like this when I purchased it but I wasn't aware that there was peeling paint. I'm guessing the PO got a little too close to a curb.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2016, 03:52 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Today the 944 is in for inspection and annual maintenance. She's getting a new muffler which was the source of the exhaust smell. Also getting new brake lines and brake flush.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Just a quick update - Over last couple months, I have had ~$5,000 in maintenance/repairs done. A high level list is below:
-odometer repair
-retrofit A/C system for current spec coolant and replaced dryer (now blows a measured 48F)
-new water pump
-new timing belt and other "while your in there items"
-new distributor cap and wires
-new heater control valve so no longer blows hot air constantly

Quick Reply: 1983 944 NA