Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1989 928 GT "Great White"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:00 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 928 GT "Great White"

Year: 1989
Make: Porsche
Model: 928
Cont. Porsche Models: 928 (all)
Mileage (numbers only please): 47500
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Grand Prix White
VIN: WP0JB0928KS861128
Price (no $ sign please): $37500
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

The time has come... I am putting my 1989 928 GT up for sale.

Grand Prix White over black. Approximately 47,500 miles. This car is likely one of the five lowest-mileage driver '89 GTs in North America. Car is located in south-central Connecticut.

It is not perfect, but it's pretty darned nice - consider it a very solid and good looking driver 928GT. T-belt and water pump last done in 2009. New Toyo tires. Owned by me since May 2007 (it had 31,000 miles at the time of purchase), a few reversible mods by the PO and myself.

I will add pics and options list, as well as "full disclosure" condition and service details in the next couple of days. Sorry for the teaser, but I don't have everything quite ready - I just really wanted to post this ad on 9/28!

I put a price of $37,500 to satisfy the posting requirements but please consider it to be "best offer received by end of October". The last '89 GT I saw for sale was three years ago so I am not sure what an appropriate asking price would be today. I am very strongly considering putting it up for auction on bringatrailer.com in a few weeks, but I am posting it here and now to give interested parties from the RL community ample time to come see it, drive it, PPI it, etc.

Please post or PM with any questions or requests.

ADDED INFO:

I am the third owner. Car came from Long Island. First owner barely drove it then parked it for some time. Second owner (5-Porsche PCA guy) had a 928 S4 already but bought this one just because of what it was; autocrossed it a few times, decided to thin the herd (he had two 911 turbos, a Boxster S, an '87 or '88 S4 MT, this car, a Nissan, and one garage). In my tenure, it has been serviced and repaired by couple of local indie mechanics skilled in P-cars (and specifically 928s) and myself.

Last edited by VehiGAZ; 09-29-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-29-2015, 12:38 AM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Default Options etc

Options list from 928 Registry VIN Decoder...

VIN Number WP0JB0928KS861128
1989 928 GT U.S.
Production Number 1068 out of 1190 produced for 1989 928 GT U.S. market.

Options list:
158 Radio, Blaupunkt Monterey (1986) or Reno SQR 46 (1987) - Original radio is long gone
220 Locking Differential - 40%
393 Club Sport - Forged Wheels - 8x16 front, 9x16 rear (88-M637 & 89-M639)
418 Side Protection Moldings
474 Shock Absorber (SPORTING) Front and Rear
481 Manual Transmission
570 Air Conditioner with Improved Efficiency (Rear A/C)
639 Special Version "GT" 89
650 Electrical Sliding Roof
Old 09-30-2015, 01:24 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

UPDATED maintenance history summary attached

Last edited by VehiGAZ; 10-02-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Updated attachment
Old 10-01-2015, 11:42 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

CarFax attached
Attached Images
Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 AM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Full-disclosures...

The FR fender was replaced and painted in the hands of the first owner. The second owner told me about it, so I am disclosing it in turn. In 8 years with the car, I've never noticed any difference in the paint - it is super-smooth all around and matches perfectly.

Club Sport wheels have been refinished (plasted, filled, and painted). One wheel has a quarter-sized spot where the paint has chipped off. The car has brand-new (200 miles) TOYO Proxes T1R tires.

I Dynamatted a lot of the cabin (floors, doors, B-pillars, cargo area floor) while I had everything out for the 2010 stereo install. It quieted down the ambient noise level quite a bit IMO - almost to GTS levels. There were some minor nips and tucks done to accomodate the new audio system and/or correct for past sins. The only noticeable one is some vinyl patching on the door panels to repair screw holes from a previous set of speakers (I did not put the screws through the doors - an installer did).

To my picayune eyes, the "worst" parts of the paint/body are the front and rear covers. The front has the typical chips and divots of a driven (ie, non-concours) car. It also has screw holes from the front license plate bracket (still have it). The paint on the *** panel has some cracking/crazing from flexing of the plastic. "Second-worst" is the lower regions of the rocker panels - they have a lot of spots and splatters of road tar and other grime that do not come completely off with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I love driving cars, talking cars, reading about cars, writing about cars, and shopping for cars - but I do not love detailing cars. I'm sure there is a product and/or technique that will remove these but I ain't doing it. These spots are only apparent when viewing from underneath, so the only person who sees them is my mechanic, and I don't care if he is impressed with the condition of my lower rockers or not.

List of mods:
(by previous owner)
930 steering wheel (have original)
Porsche leather shift **** and boot (don't recall what model it's from) (have original)
GTS insulated intake tubes (have originals)
Adjustable sway bar links
(by me)
Sharkfin antenna (have original)
More modern audio (Alpine iPod-interface [32-pin] headunit with AM/FM, no CD or tape, German-made MB Quart speakers & crossovers, Rockford-Fosgate amp)
CSF radiator (have original)

Comes with the car:
Four keys
Original cargo net and luggage cover
Rear muffler bypass (bought used, never installed on my car)
Indoor/outdoor silver car cover
Miscellaneous spare parts (filters, relays, etc.)

Currently not functioning/needs fixing:
Rear hatch release mechanism (I do not want to tackle this)
Left rear woofer has a working but semi-fried and scraping voice coil
Mid-range speakers on doors (I will diagnose and rectify)
ABS light on (relay replaced - fixed)
A/C is working but weak, suspect a refrigerant leak (leak fixed, blows cold)
Digital clock is a blur of liquid crystal

Of course, this thread is useless without pictures!!! (beat you to it) but I have a little more cleaning to do before I take them, which I will do sometime in the next few days once the weather cooperates. I will include a few super-high-res photos taken with a tripodm.

The car is going into the shop on Friday the 7th for the A/C and ABS (if I can't fix it) and I will take undercarriage pics then. I will have him do compression and leak-down tests as well, or provide the relevant results from an interested party's PPI report, whichever comes first.

Last edited by VehiGAZ; 12-05-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Mechanical status update
Old 10-03-2015, 11:36 AM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

It's still sopping wet and blustery in CT and we are off to a friends' kid's b-day party in a couple of hours, so interior & exterior pictures will have to wait until tomorrow.

I will be posting pics of the car from all exterior angles, the interior from different angles, door panels, dash, engine bay, cargo area, tool tray, audio install, build sticker, engine bay, and engine serial number stamping.

I will also take a series of super-high-res (16MP) photos of the exterior with a tripod and timer (for best resolution and detail inspection), which I will email upon request.

Undercarriage and transmission type/serial number stamping pics with the car on a lift will be taken on Friday the 7th when the car goes in for A/C leak repair.

If you have any specific picture requests, please post, PM, email, call, or text exactly what you want to see. Thank you!

Last edited by VehiGAZ; 10-03-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-04-2015, 09:27 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Finally... pictures!!

I waited for late-day "soft light" but I think I waited too long since it seems there wasn't enough light to show many of the paint imperfections. I'll try again tomorrow, but here are the shots from today.

For perspective, I washed the car but did not wax it. Interior detailing consisted of a thorough vacuuming, Griot's Vinyl & Rubber dressing (also on tires), Invisiglass window cleaning, and Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner. You can get it cleaner if you're into that sort of thing, but it is not a concours-correct car.

Oooh dat ***!!! But this shot doesn't show the paint cracks at all. I will try again tomorrow.

This fender is not original.

Disregard the E39 M5 in the background.... it is not the car you are looking for...

This one shows most of the paint imperfections on the nose

ABS pump failure will be addressed this week

We don't need no stinkin' clock! The Alpine headunit has a great retro-flip-clock graphic that you can turn on.

Barely any bolster wear - a little shoe polish should make what's there disappear... ;-)

I don't detail the dirty box

GTS intake tubes with critter barriers. CSF Raditator (have originals). Oh, the brake proportioning valve is from another Porsche model (can't find any documentation of it) that gives a little more rear bias than normal, so the car stays flatter during hard braking without locking anything up (installed at the suggestion of David Lloyd).

Refinished Club Sport wheels (that might be a paint chip at 6:00 position). Brand-new Toyo Proxes T1Rs with 2014 date code.

Paint chip at 3:00 position

Little upholstery scratches from big bear paws. Note vinyl patch repairs around the larger speaker.

Note vinyl patch repairs around the larger speaker. I think I have a replacement insert because of the small tear.

My first dash crack (between vents 4 and 5). Happened over last winter. Grr...

Crack-free on 1 through 3...

Owner #2 installed the 930 steering wheel and shifter boot. I don't recall what model the boot came from but I may have it written down somewhere. Both are leather and I have the originals.

Flyin' the PCA & 928OC flags...

The worst part of the body... zoom in to see paint chips

Have (most) tools, will travel...<br/><br/>Oh and the rear hatch release motor runs, but the hatch does not pop open. I should really man up and try to fix this before I sell...
Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

PM me an email address if you want to copies of the full-res/full-size images
Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

One last one...

Confirmed that engine matches CoA. Will confirm trnasaxle matches on Friday
Old 10-09-2015, 10:20 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Default Dirty pictures!

The car was on the lift today so I took undercarriage pictures.

The oil pan gasket was pretty wet so we tightened up all the bolts - that should take care of that (it was cleaned up before these pictures).

The refrigerant charge was low ("it just needs a recharge!") and we found the culprit underneath - see the large dark spot in the bottom-left of the first pic? That's where the refrigerant lines for the rear A/C go into the cabin under the passenger seat - one of the fittings was leaking, and the refrigerant oil is the source of the dark spot (oil + dirt).

We are going to take closer look at the wet spot on the transaxle too.

And yes, I have the two underbody pans - they were off for the pictures.

The ABS light was traced to the ABS relay, and a new one is on order.

Engine!

Spoiler lip

Amidships...

I put that starter in all by myself!

RF suspension

LF suspension

Rear

What a dirty little tranny...

RR suspension

LR suspension

Left rocker

Right rocker

LF suspension close-up

RF suspension close-up

LR suspension close-up

RR suspension close-up

Rear valence
Old 10-09-2015, 10:25 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Lastly, compression and leak-down numbers:

Cylinder/Compression (psi)/Leak-down %
#1/190/6%
#2/185/6%
#3/185/8%
#4/185/7%
#5/185/7%
#6/185/7%
#7/185/7%
#8/190/6%

Bottom line - doc says it could stand to lose 300-400 lbs but otherwise it's really healthy for its age!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Cool car

GLWS
Old 10-14-2015, 07:34 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Thank you Halo!!

Repair update...

ABS relay replaced - light is out, and it works, too.

A/C o-ring replaced, refrigerant evacuated, refillled, and it's holding pressure (and blows cold too!).

Oil on transmission was coming from the axle seal - transmission fluid level found to be slightly high, corrected, hoping no more dripping.

Oil pan bolts were all 2+ turns loose. All bolts re-torqued to spec. Hope for no more seeping.

AFTER I picked it up, I found the main cooling fan inop under circumstances when it should have been running (A/C running, high engine temp). Will diagnose and repair, but that should take care of the hot-weather high-load overheating!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

No-op fan diagnosed to faulty fan amplifier/output module. The ball is rolling to get it repaired/rebuilt. In the meantime, I'm going to take a crack at the rear hatch to get it to open correctly.

At this point, I am very seriously considering getting a 4-post storage lift and cleaning up the dirty underbelly over the winter...
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

makes you fall in love with the 928 all over again.

Quick Reply: 1989 928 GT "Great White"