Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS: 1972 911T Gemini Blue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default FS: 1972 911T Gemini Blue survivor

Year: 1972
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 911
Mileage (numbers only please): 100000
Color: Gemini Blue
VIN: 9112501117
Price (no $ sign please): $1
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): SouthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Carbs
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

SOLD

FS: 1972 911T Gemini Blue survivor

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126918...7645978332977/

Matching numbers, German delivered 1972 911T Gemini Blue, hounds tooth seats, S bumper/valance, 6" fuchs. Original and correct Zenith carbs (as per Euro delivery since didn't have to meet USA smog regulations, denoted by "5" in VIN #). 174,xxx KM (about 100k miles).

I bought this car with the idea of a mild oem restoration since it is still close to original with no after-market mods. Since then I have changed my mind on two fronts: 1) I now wish to have a factory oem sunroof longhood; and 2) I am more inclined towards modified cars than stock/oem/originals ("With a stock-original car, you serve the car. With a hot-rodded car, the car serves you.").

I bought this on ebay at the end of August 2014. I have a thing for the seldom seen Gemini Blue cars as that was the color of the 1975 911S my dad had when I was growing up ( link to the story of my Dad's 1975 911S: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...16-2013-a.html ).

I spoke with the owner offering to pay a higher price than was currently bid so I could ensure that I got the car and not lose to a last minute/second bidder. He agreed and ended the auction early (thus ebay not reflecting the price I paid). I had him have his local shop put on new tires and do a tuneup service and adjust the valves and ended up also repairing one valve before I got there -- all of which I reimbursed him for. The car was exactly as advertised, true to all the pictures he had on his flicker account. Sale was a pleasure as he was a gentleman of his word.

This car was German delivered. It was imported into Canada in 1988 and the PO bought it in 1992 after it had a respray in original color, Gemini Blue. He kept it garaged throughout his stewardship and did required maintenance without doing any modifications. The car shows its original paint underneath as there was never that black stuff sprayed under it. The bottom of this car looks like it is only a few years old.

My gf and I flew to Nova Scotia in early September and met the PO, looked over the car and then had the bank wire the money. We set off early in the next morning for a tour of the New England coast. First stop was the gas station to fill it up. I noticed gas all over the ground under the car. I quickly determined that the clear tube coming off the top of the gas tank was not connected. Tried to tighten the clamp but it was stuck. A quick jog down the street to the local auto parts supplier to get a new hose clamp and we were back on the road. Did a quick check after a few more miles and noticed that the brake fluid reservoir was a little low. Another stop to a nearby auto parts outlet and filled it back up. I looked under the car and found a few brake fluid drips. The lines from the reservoir to the master were leaking. The lines appeared hardened and no new hose clap was going to stop the slight seepage. So I stocked up on fluid and hit the road. The next 1000 miles back to Virginia were uneventful, just adding about a pint of brake fluid over the course of the trip. Upon returning home I had those lines replaced and it is all fixed now. Checked the oil level throughout the trip and never had to add any. Nor have I had to add any oil in the last 4 months.

Have driven the car around town a few times and to local cars & coffee twice and to a pca winery tour. Car starts when you turn the key, no smoke -- every time I have turned the key it has started. It is in a garage with dehumidifier running. Typical of an old 911 it drops a drip when it gets home and then no more drips for however long it sits.

Below is the link of all the pictures and documents that come with the car. It has had its top end rebuilt. But amazingly it has never had the chain tension update.

The only rust I can find is at the leading edge of the lip that holds the rubber seam sealer under the hood in front of the cowl vent. (see picture on second page of album). Full disclosure as I am not the type to get out a piece of sand paper and hit it with a rattle can to hide anything. There is a big piece of paint that has fallen off the driver's door. Besides the awesome color, I bought this car because the underside is still original with any black stuff sprayed under it. It is still grey in color with a little blue overspray at the sides. Simply amazing to look at. No rust, no rust repairs. No sign of rust. All the old 911's I have ever seen this takes the cake.

I really hate selling this car but everyone, and I mean everyone, has talked me out of cutting the roof off this car and grafting on an eom sunroof roof. Basically they scared me away from the idea.

Does it need work? yes. Dash is cracked, carpet worn, drivers seat has holes, paint is bad. Two or three threads have popped on the steering wheel. Headliner stained.

Here is the album put together by the PO. Nothing has changed since I got it 4 months ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126918...7645978332977/

The key to this car is lack of rust repairs, lack of rust in rockers, floor, pan, etc. and the awesome color - Gemini Blue. Being a 72 it has the really cool oil door. Houndstooth seats are awesome as well.

SOLD

You can call or email or post here any questions.
Thank you,
Clarke Simpson
Arlington, VA
BadDogRacing at gmail.com
703 eight nine eight 2622 (cell)
Attached Images  

Last edited by GT3DE; 01-17-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 01-11-2015, 06:19 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

I reread my post above and wish to add a few thoughts.

After finishing my Dad's car, I had so much fun driving it with its old skinny body style and skinny tires -- but with a stock 3.2L !!!! And having the sunroof open and windows down. Love the open feeling and the pull of that engine. I realized that all my longhoods were non-sunroof. I need a sunroof!!!

And two of my cars were matching numbers so how can I swap the engine??? So I sold the matching numbers 73.5 last month. Now this 72...

My 68 911 has a 3.2L and it is awesome. I guess I am a hot rodder.

I have recently bought some 912's with the idea of installing bigger 911 engines. I have a hot rodded 2.5L for one of them, a 3.2L for another. But none have a sunroof.

I guess I am trying to replicate the feeling of my Dad's car but in a longhood.

I cannot cut/mod this 72 911t with a sunroof or swap the engine. I just can't do it.

Someone else please take over and be the steward of this wonderful car.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Original German delivery sales receipt showing options.
* 5 speed
* Hounds tooth seats
* Aluminum wheels (Fuchs)
* Stabilizer bars
* Comfort Package
* S front Spoiler
* Metallic paint (Gemini Blue)
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2015, 03:10 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Nice car! Where was that picture taken? Looks like the Maine coast.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:55 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

yes, somewhere near Kennebunkport. We drove the car from Nova Scotia to Virginia and hit all the seaside towns in Maine over a 3 day period. Once we got to Boston we just drove the rest of the way home on interstate. Stopped at lots of fun places. Never knew all that stuff was up there. lol
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Maine is a little rocky
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2015, 04:02 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

All sorts of junk up there.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

thought I'd better let you know that Sly photobombed your sales thread, Clarke

BTW... nice car good luck with the sale!

Last edited by 4ng crcs; 01-12-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Here you go, better Sly photobomb, unrelated to the car but here we were on Xmas day in Palm Beach
Attached Images  

Last edited by GT3DE; 01-13-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

now back to the car
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

You bought that car!! lol

I chased that car on ebay. Not far from me in Newfoundland. Seller said he had a serious buyer!
Little did i know it was GT3DE!

It really is a great example of a euro 72T. Nice history.

If CDN dollar didnt drop i would be tempted to take it back.

I am glad it went to a good home and i sure hope it goes to another good home. GLWS
Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Clarke, good to see that Sly and you are still enjoying life! Beautiful car - GLWS!

Give me a shout the next time you come through Atlanta.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
yes, somewhere near Kennebunkport. We drove the car from Nova Scotia to Virginia and hit all the seaside towns in Maine over a 3 day period. Once we got to Boston we just drove the rest of the way home on interstate. Stopped at lots of fun places. Never knew all that stuff was up there. lol
Somewhere in my files I have a picture of a Porsche 996 Turbo in front of the Treasures and Trash Barn. I love that place!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Acadia NP is amazing for sure.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

As I wish to replace this car with a sunroof and possibly something non numbers matching with a 3.0 or 3.2, I participated, briefly, in this auction on Bring a Trailer. I was willing to go to 50k but never had a chance. Closed at 60k + 5% fee = $63k.

Any fear of the market going soft for these longhoods has been greatly exaggerated.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...he-911t-coupe/

Quick Reply: FS: 1972 911T Gemini Blue