Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1985 BMW M635CSi

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 PM
DCAlbarran
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 BMW M635CSi

Year: 1985
Make: BMW
Model: 6-Series
Mileage (numbers only please): 130021
Color: Schwarz
VIN: WBAEE310801050627
Price (no $ sign please): $15000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): SoCAl
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Cassette

UPDATE: Was clipped in the rear while parked in the parking lot of a movie shoot. Updated pics attached. Damage estimates range from $3k to $5.5k. That is at retail labor rates with new parts. Updated price is $15k/obo!

Bought her a year ago from a BigCoupe (e24 forum) member, but like the ad says, fell in love with another, and have house projects to pay for. All pictures are recent and unedited:

Hi all, thanks for looking at my ad. I’m selling my 1985 BMW M635CSi that I’ve owned for about a year. Its been a great car, and I’ve put about 2k miles and a little over $11,000 into it since I’ve had it, but I recently fell in love with another German sports car with it’s engine in the rear, so the shark is the odd one out. I believe I am the fourth owner, has not been in an accident (save for a small dent or scrape here or there that I don’t know about or didn’t make the CarFax) and it comes with a clean CA title. Car has 130k miles and is located in Simi Valley, CA.

About the car: Like I said, it’s an ’85 BMW M635CSi, which, for the uninitiated, was the European precursor to the M6 that was sold here in the US, but with about 30 more hp due to higher compression and a couple hundred pounds less fat to throw around because of the lack of the rear A/C unit, among other things. Lots of available info available on the M registry, BigCoupe.com and BimmerForums, if one wanted to learn more about the history of the e24/M635CSi.

The outside: The color is Schwarz (black) and is in terrific shape. It’s most likely a respray, as I can’t imagine the original paint still being in this good condition-wise, and has only minimal blemishes here and there. Car wears the original euro-stripes. Overall I’d call the paint an 8.9/10. There is no rust, as this has been a CA and NV car for all it’s life. There is a small dent about the size of a fist on the right rear way down low beneath the bumper that is hard to capture in pictures, but is there, and the front valence has some curb rash down low. Windows are good, the windshield had a rock chip off to the right side that was filled at some point. Headlights are upgraded Cibie units. Wheels are RH (AC Schnitzer reps) and wear Michelin PS2 tires with 80% or so tread. Car also comes with original TRX rims and tires in excellent shape with 95% tread. These are hard to find.

The inside: The interior is buffalo anthracite, which is also dark, almost black. The front seats were reupholstered by a previous owner in black cow leather which, although beautiful and near-pristine, are not the original buffalo. New owner can decide whether to source new front skins, redo the rears to match, or just drive as-is since both the fronts and backs are in good nick. The carpet is clean, as is the non-saggy headliner. The dash has some cracks, as is common for these cars. Currently wears a dash cover, but in the spirit of full disclosure, this and the rear sun-worn speaker pods are the blemishes in what is otherwise a remarkably clean interior. Car has a Momo/Alpina steering wheel, and will come with an original M-Tech steering wheel too, which could use some love to be perfect. Power seats work well in all the important directions, with the power headrests being the exception. Power windows, locks, sunroof, radio, and OBC are also all in good working order.

The drivetrain: The engine is nearly spotless and in great working order. I have maintenance receipts dating back to 2006, including the top end which I had rebuilt last year by a reputable shop here in the Los Angeles area. This included the timing chain and all related components, sent the head out which came back with a clean bill of health (was not warped or anything) and also a new radiator and some other components. I can scan the work order for interested parties. Valves readjusted within the last 6 months. The transmission shifts smoothly in all gears, and the synchros mesh without a hiccup. Clutch operates smoothly. The rear end was also resealed within the last few months. The exhaust is a SuperSprint unit running without catalytic converters as this car was meant to run. It will not pass CA smog this way. New owner will have to put on cats to pass, unless he/she “knows a guy”.

The drive: Car starts with no drama every time. Very little smoke when it sits for a while (maybe a couple weeks or a cold night) but honestly I rarely let it sit that long. Car revs well throughout the RPM range. If you’ve never driven a car with this family of engine (M88 or S38 for the M6) You’ll be surprised how docile it is below 4000 rpm, but above 4000, it revs quickly with plenty of power and a very mechanically precise sound that is unlike anything I’ve driven before. This is a car I would not hesitate to drive cross-country in. It is comfortable, sleek, fast, and something that you don’t see around much at all. I’m not going to throw out all the superlatives that are frequently lavished upon this generation of “M” cars related to collectability because I believe this car to be a “driver +”, not a concourse car, but I will say that there are very few of these in the US and if you are looking for an e24 “M” car, these are the ones to have.

I feel I have accurately portrayed this car to the best of my ability, and would be happy to speak telephonically with anyone about the car, as well as take specific pictures or do a FaceTime walkaround for those that live farther away. I truly believe that when you buy a used car, you are also buying the previous owners, and this car has been taken care of in that spirit.

Ask is $22,500

Danny
(805) 907-5246
DCAlbarran@yahoo.com

Last edited by DCAlbarran; 09-15-2014 at 01:46 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-11-2014, 08:05 PM
figure8
2nd Gear

Good looking BMW!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

Damm nice car. Congrts
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM
DCAlbarran
Advanced

Thanks guys. Not a Porsche, but at least from the same country!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
DCAlbarran
Advanced

Got a few requests about original wheels/tires, so here are a couple pictures:

Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 AM
clarinemcCully
2nd Gear

BMW is my dream car but the amount given here does not fit in my budget and I have recently bought a new car as well.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:28 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

That is a damm nice car P car or not. You can be proud, !!!! I love BMW too and just picked up this little 89 325IS gem 2 weeks ago. Have not stopped driving it since I drove it home.
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 PM
DCAlbarran
Advanced

Originally Posted by spanky
That is a damm nice car P car or not. You can be proud, !!!! I love BMW too and just picked up this little 89 325IS gem 2 weeks ago. Have not stopped driving it since I drove it home.
Love those style 5's.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 85 Posts

Those E30 don't die. I had a total 350K+ miles on two E30s over 12 yrs. By far, the easiest to own and work on.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 PM
dlee888
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 88' DS E30 M3! ;-)

I have always wanted a 635 CSi ever since I was a kid... wish I had the space for one!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Very nice M3. Is that color a dark gray or is it black.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:34 AM
DCAlbarran
Advanced

Little nudge for Shark Week, starting tomorrow!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 PM
dlee888
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ Very nice M3. Is that color a dark gray or is it black.
It's diamondschwartz black... it's a little of both. ;-) Dark gray in the daytime and looks black at night.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

very nice, was my father's dream car when I was a kid. I remember he had a model on his desk.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by DCAlbarran
Thanks guys. Not a Porsche, but at least from the same country!
No need to qualify it. That is a beautiful M.

Quick Reply: 1985 BMW M635CSi