Notices

Custom Tire Rack...

Old 03-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Custom Tire Rack...

Very excited to hopefully see this live tomorrow when I pick up the car from it's cage fabrication!! I wanted a few things very specific to my setup.
1. Didn't want to have to lift tires too high, more roll them on/off due to spinal fusions/hip replacements...
2. Wanted to keep the tire rack below the roof line of the Macan
3. I have a 3110 14 foot so didn't want to use up too much of the "deck space"
4. I was low on tongue weight. Even moving the car forward the mid engine was right over the axles leaving me with 5% tongue weight. It was stable but not ideal so I wanted more tongue weight.
5. Couldn't affect my ability to turn, maneuver or open the rear hatch.

This is my towing setup with the Macan and this is what we came up with... Wide enough for one set of tires and two spare trailer tires.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:06 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

very cool!

As side note, I re-wound my superwinch trailer winch with synthetic rope. It's easier to unspool (pull out of the winch by hand) and quieter in operation. I think is was only $40 for the fancy winch rated rope.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

I know you said no effect on turning but that looks like you have to be careful on tight turns. I also don't see a hole for a security bar to keep the tires in place (I don't trust straps).
Old 03-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I know you said no effect on turning but that looks like you have to be careful on tight turns. I also don't see a hole for a security bar to keep the tires in place (I don't trust straps).
Not nearly as deep as it looks... You can't really see it in that photo but it isn't even as deep as my tongue jack stand. It is probably not much deeper than having a rock shield on the front. It is also that specific width for a reason, end to end restricted turning You can also see the holes drilled into the middle rail for the rod...
Old 03-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 489 Posts

Looks great! You just need to be careful when backing up.

Also be mindful that the tongue weight changes quite a bit whether your fuel tank is empty or full. I think that ultimately, you will find that you need room for two sets of spare wheels. One set of dry and one set of rain tires. I know - it never ends!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Tire Rack...