Notices

Trailer tire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 PM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer tire replacement

You'll read recommendations to replace the trailer tires every 2 to 5 years. I will be a 3-year replacer from now on. An hour into my tow home from RoadAtlanta, passenger rear tire shredded. At the time, I was sandwiched between semi's, so didn't pull over as quickly as I would've liked. It also broke the leaf spring at that tire (I think as a result of not pulling over quick enough). Not good at 7pm on a Sunday. Tires were Goodyear Marathon placed in service in '13 with '12 manufacture dates. Trailer TPMS may have been very beneficial as well.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Leaf springs? So was it a trailex? If so, how old, because I have seen a couple of broken leaf springs on trailex trailers causing a tire blowout, not the other way around. Admittedly, both were on older trailers (and not mine, thankfully)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:34 PM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, 2010 Trailex enclosed. Not sure I can tell which failed first - given the violent hopping of the axle d/t the shredded tire I was guessing the tire caused leaf spring failure
Old 04-05-2017, 09:02 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I had quite a few punctures at the track and on the way home from RA. Two on the track and two on the way home.

Track:
Puncture on Pirelli Slick. Blown RR SPB tire.

Trip Home:
Checked trailer pressures before leaving. 3 hours from the track the right rear trailer tire shredded . I had someone behind me, so I was warned on radio and pulled over quickly. Even so the tread had completely completely separated and wrapped around axle. Took me 10 minutes to get the tread - totally separated and still a full circle off the axle..

Next morning. Checked everything and continued (long drive home for me). With only 100 miles to go now it was the left rear started loosing air. Didn't shred - Just loosing air. And I had put that tire on last year on my way home from RA !!!

Last year the LR started to shred. This time last years replacement was just visibly loosing air.

OK the right rear could be a coincidence and it could be a crack in the rim. TBD. But an awful lot of tire carnage IMHO. Do they sweep the paddock? One can't help wondering.

I am getting really tired of changing trailer tires and I am getting very good at replacing them quickly - A skill that I don't want to improve

I carry two spares for a reason. All tires no more than 2 years old Goodyear Marathons.

I am going up from 15 to best in class 16 inch rims and the new Goodyear Endurance tire.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Doesn't prevent failures, but can give advance warnings, trailer TPMS add on. A $100 well spent for piece of mind. Got mine off Amazon, need metal valve stems or replace stems with internal TPMS modules. And agree, need 2 spares on a 2-axle trailer.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Load Range D or E tires? (Are you close to max load for the tires with your car/trailer?)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Load Range D or E tires? (Are you close to max load for the tires with your car/trailer?)
Its an enclosed trailex. That one is incapable of those kind of loads.

Quick Reply: Trailer tire replacement