Notices

Towing my 911 for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 PM
KyleB25
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing my 911 for the first time

I have towed plenty of cars on Uhaul open trailers with 1/2 Ton trucks with no issues.

Now I have my 2001 911, I bought an Enclosed 20' trailer and for some reason I am very nervous.

I am towing with a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie with Tow Package.

I am looking in to the race ramps since my car is 3.25" at its lowest point

I am also concerned about the rear engine causing some sway or upsetting the balance on my trailer.

Has anyone used a weight distribution hitch to help with this?

I am headed 3 hours all highway and I dont have any need to go 100 mph. 55 in the right hand lane getting lapped is fine by me.

Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 20' enclosed as well and towing with a regular hitch works just fine (although i have a diesel). I do have a weight distribution hitch that I regularly use as well and it definitely helps the stability but I wouldnt say it was unstable without it at all. Make sure your engine is over the axle of the trailer and you should be fine.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

If in doubt, invest in or find a friend with a tongue weigh scale. Adjust the car and gear loading to get the correct weight on the hitch. Get the correct hitch height placement to keep trailer level (on all 4 wheels). 90% of tail wagging the dog are trailer loading issues and hitch height/trailer level. Assuming trailer is braked (by wire not surge), make sure they are working properly, then sway control (tongue weight) and stopping (trailer brakes) are covered. Now all you have is grunt of forward momentum with Ram. If within Ram spec for weight, you be fine on freeway driving. Depending on trailer design, WD hitch may or may not be feasible (or needed). YMMV.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:49 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

A well set up hitch with weight distribution and anti-sway is always a benefit. Weather it is "necessary", you really won't know without trying it first. The anti sway becomes particularly helpful in windy conditions and when passed by large trucks. While a 20 ft trailer is less susceptible to this than something longer, it will still be more noticeable than towing with your open trailer.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

The center of gravity on the 911 is about in the middle of the back seat, so make sure it's at least over the first trailer axle. you'll have to drive it further into the trailer than a front engined car - so if you park it in the same place, you could end up with not enough tongue weight, and worse, negative tongue weight - both will lead to stability issues at speed. Best thing to do is buy or borrow a tongue scale, and move your car into a position that gets you at least 10% of the total loaded trailer+car weight on it, then mark where you park the car. I can't imagine why you'd need a weight distribution hitch unless you are towing bigger/longer trailer --- It cant't hurt, but most important to get the position of the car correct.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

You probably have all the necessary stuff at home already to help determine your tongue weight. I see no need to spend $$$ for more stuff.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin (KeinErsatz) is correct.
Like a Porsche, there is no substitute for a tongue weight scale.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:16 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

load the car, use the tongue with scale, to make sure you get it right.....I put tape marks on the trailer floor so, I know where to stop when I load (996 c2- now gone). I tow a 23' enclosed aluminum v-nose trailer with my Ram 1500. Can't use a WD trailer hitch, no place to attach on the trailer....... tows just fine I'm sure a diesel is **** but don't tow enough to justify the diesel upcharge and maintenance and fuel costs. ....don't over analyze sway, it will happen, period .....I've had it happen a few times, usually going too damn fast.....simply slow down.....all comes in line, clean your shorts, take a deep breath, all good.......you'll get there.......

Now, those who go Gucci or tell you to go home probably tow a lot more than I........ GL the little Ram is tough enough...not perfect, but it works........
Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM
KyleB25
Advanced

I have the car loaded. Center of rear seat over the front axle. Going to install the WDH today to balance it out.

To get it to balance as is on the normal ball, the car would have to be back farther than the engine nearest the axles.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-13-2017, 04:43 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

That sounds about right. Did you use a tongue scale?

For reference on an open trailer, this is where I had the car positioned.

Name:  IMG_4802.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  321.5 KB
Old 03-13-2017, 04:45 PM
KyleB25
Advanced

My trailer is longer than that so there is a lot of room behind the car. Its almost bumper to the front D Rings inside to get the engine over the axle.

I have not done the scale yet
Old 03-21-2017, 11:52 PM
speeddistrict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
That sounds about right. Did you use a tongue scale?

For reference on an open trailer, this is where I had the car positioned.

Attachment 1144616
Is that the Trailex setup? If so, which model? Looking at the same one

Thanks
Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speeddistrict
Is that the Trailex setup? If so, which model? Looking at the same one

Thanks
that's a 8045.

Quick Reply: Towing my 911 for the first time