Notices

Truck vs. Truck

Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Truck vs. Truck

I'm considering Ford, Chevy, and GMC 3/4 ton diesel trucks from 2015 to 2017 so used or new for my next truck. Looking for general opinions on reliability and towing features. Not interested in environmentally controlled seats for my ********* or other fluffy options. I've heard many "expert opinions" on who has the best platform but really interested in overall reliability but really want to hear from the towing crowd here in Rennlist
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed out of curiosity... Have a tow vehicle, an e350 ford cargo van...but it's old.

But was thinking of getting an extended cab pickup as a daily driver. At a point in life where car image just doesn't matter...

Anyone daily drive these things?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by zip465
I'm considering Ford, Chevy, and GMC 3/4 ton diesel trucks from 2015 to 2017 so used or new for my next truck. Looking for general opinions on reliability and towing features. Not interested in environmentally controlled seats for my ********* or other fluffy options. I've heard many "expert opinions" on who has the best platform but really interested in overall reliability but really want to hear from the towing crowd here in Rennlist
Like oil every one has their own favorite

FWIW I like GMC Duramax
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
Subscribed out of curiosity... Have a tow vehicle, an e350 ford cargo van...but it's old.

But was thinking of getting an extended cab pickup as a daily driver. At a point in life where car image just doesn't matter...

Anyone daily drive these things?
When I was racing 2T keel boats the best tow vehicle we ever used was a 3/4 ton LWB van. The only modern one w/ the same tow rating is the Chev/GMC w/ Duramax.

Love the MB Sprinters but they are just too limited in pulling power.

All that enclosed room in the back is priceless.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 PM
Jferrante
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

I daily drive a Crew Cab Long Bed (massive) Powerstroke F250 that I originally bought only for towing ...then winter came and then I tuned it and now I love it. It is an 06 so much older than what OP is asking for but maybe that input will help someone.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:29 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
When I was racing 2T keel boats the best tow vehicle we ever used was a 3/4 ton LWB van. The only modern one w/ the same tow rating is the Chev/GMC w/ Duramax.

Love the MB Sprinters but they are just too limited in pulling power.

All that enclosed room in the back is priceless.
We had an f150 pickup, which was nice. But I agree with you, the cargo van rocks. Extremely practical, and everything in back is secure.

But it's extremely utilitarian, and basic. Great for business, but not comfy enough for daily use. It's got 150k miles on its gas V10... Runs strong....so far... 10mpg on a good day...
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wondering the same thing (Chevy, Ford or other) as my 2006 Chevy (Duramax) is now 11 years old and I'd like a newer truck (for the newer amenities). I tow a 24' TPD triple axle enclosed trailer with a total tow weight of 7-8k lbs. The Duramax tows it up and over the mountains without issue. My '06 has been problem free and just a great truck, so I'm most likely to go with the Silverado again (likely the 2500HD/Duramax crew cab short bed with LTZ options). The only thing I wish it had that it lacks is a TPMS for the trailer.

Does the new Ford have trailer TPMS?

(I didn't add the stupid Amazon link for the Duramax, the software did it - anyone know how to get rid of it in the future?)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went through this same drill. I looked at all the 2500s and decided they were all pretty close in capability and reliability.

In my case the decision came down to size, styling and some options I wanted. I went with a GMC over the others because it comes standard with some very cool towing features. In addition to the stout Allison 6 speed tranny, the truck also features trailer stability control which uses gyros and ABS to reign in sway before it gets going. It also has hill assist to keep the combination from rolling back if stopped on an incline. Another feature is trailer ABS. I've already talked up the accessory camera kit that provides the driver with views behind the trailer, down the sides of the truck and inside the trailer. With those cameras and the standard LED lights in the outside mirrors, you can back your car hauler up at night without assistance. And just for fun, the big three are engaged in a power war with the consumer reaping the benefits. A 2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax had 370 hp and 765 lb ft of torque. My 2017 has 445 hp and 910 lb ft. Both engines are more than enough to get the job done, but more is always better, right?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just went from f150 ecoboost to f350 diesel...

went to enterprise rental and tried the dodge as I had never tried one .... liked it except for finishes and heard paint didn't hold up....

son has a chevy never jived with the interior .....

looked around the pits and and majority of fords...

know the brand and has all the power and pulling for my 30 ft conventional tow atc with cayman and stuff....

very pleased with the truck....

as mentioned i think they are all so close now it is a preference of brand and style...

good luck
Old 03-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I currently DD a 2015 Ford F250 with the 6.7L diesel and I love it. Now granted I've always been a Ford truck fanboy, but the new GMC HD's are looking pretty nice.

Since I'm in my truck daily and rack up tons of miles for work, I like the little creature comforts that Ford offered at the time vs a GMC. But with the 2017 models both Ford and GMC 3/4 ton truck are pretty equal feature wise....BTW both tuck have a TPMS for trailers along with trailer camera options.

Also, another question is if you want the latest and great truck styling... if you do then go with the Ford 2017 aluminium super duty.

In the end, I'd just drive each one and see which one you like the most. No matter which model year and brand you pick, they'll be able to handle whatever you throw at it.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Find myself to be in the same place as the OP. Planning on upgrading from my Ecoboost F150, that has proven to be great at hauling the 7-8k enclosed trailer. Retiring in a couple year's am definitely planning much longer track hauls in winter is pushing me toward HD diesel.

I would say the drives I have taken and the research I've done lead to many of the same conclusions as above. The Ford and GM trucks at 3/4 ton are similar in capability. Pretty sure the GM trucks still have independent front suspensions vs solid axle on the Ford; however can't say I noticed much ride difference. One thing that has always kept me away from the GM trucks is seating position. I always feel like the wheel and pedals are not quite centered to the seat.

The real big difference seems to be in 2017 trucks. With Ford upping the ante to aluminum, and a bit more power, GM has upped power significantly too. Also both now offer multiple camera setups, and enhanced features to make towing easier. Before 2017 models, I would have been very likely to stay with Ford. 2107 model comparison, GM vs Ford might come to styling/package/pricing personal preferences. My personal styling preferences will continue to keep me away from the Ram trucks.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I think they are all very capable trucks and have pretty good reliability these days.

I've got 81k on my 2010 Ram 2500 diesel and the truck has been flawless. The powertrain is fantastic. I had to replace the front brake calipers and that's about it.

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 diesel dually arriving in 3 weeks and I'm anticipating keeping that one forever.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesels are something special, for so many reasons. In my experience they can be addictive, engendering love equivalent to the race cars.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:15 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Every time I see this thread, this pops into my head:

Old 03-02-2017, 02:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

2009 2500
2011 3500 dually
2013 3500 dually
all duramax. the only prob i had over three trucks 290k miles is the 2009 had a broken window switch.
i tow and DD the trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck vs. Truck