Notices

Truck Buying Odyssey

Old 12-29-2016, 06:45 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Truck Buying Odyssey

Last May after I inquired on here about what kind of truck I should get to pull a 26 ft Enclosed trailer, the consensus was a 3/4 ton diesel. I did my research and decided on a new GMC Sierra 2500HD with a Duramax diesel I went down to my local GMC dealer and placed the order on May 16.
The salesman told me it would be 6-8 weeks.

Yesterday, 7 months later, my new Sierra was delivered to the dealership. This has been the most unusual vehicle purchase I have ever experienced, but the results fall mainly in the positive column.

The dealership honored the original price even though my truck now comes standard with options I would have had to pay extra for last year. I also got a completely redesigned and improved Duramax with a hefty boost in torque and horsepower over the 2016 engine. I was also able to add on
some late available options that I wouldn't have been able to get (or retrofit) had the production not been delayed. Two of those options are ideal for pulling race cars in enclosed trailers. The first is an accessory camera package that integrates cameras in each side mirror, a camera that mounts
to the back of the trailer and a camera that mount inside the trailer. The camera images can be displayed either on the Nav screen or a smaller screen integrated between the tach and speedo in a multi screen display. The side mirror cameras are activated by the turn signal. The two remote
cameras are WiFi. The second option is an auxiliary TPM that integrates trailer tire pressure and temps into the existing TPM display, no more aftermarket displays to mess with.

Anyway, the journey is nearly complete. The salesman sent me some pictures of the truck and I noticed it came with Goodyear Wrangler HT tires which are not the best. I'm having them swapped for a set of Michelin Defender LTXs. Once that's done, I'll take delivery.

This will be my first 3/4 ton and first diesel so should be interesting.

Here are some pictures:

Name:  part2_zpsdiqm23p8.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  875.1 KB

Name:  part3_zpsqsxbamc2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  883.5 KB

Name:  part1_zpsoyhfaz26.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  635.2 KB
Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

That is one fine truck there. __jealous__

Congratluations!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

killer truck congrats, will say I'm not a huge fan of the chrome/polished wheels... but that's an easy fix and entirely personal taste.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:31 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great looking truck! I really like the color... and the options. It is crazy that it took so long to build it though. Enjoy!

Charley
Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Really neat options..... I am truck shopping now.

Is it the picture or is that rear cab area smaller than the front area???

thx
Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

Awesome! Make sure to post up about the cameras and TPMS in the trailer when you use it.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That is a great looking vehicle and more than capable. Congrats....
Old 12-30-2016, 06:08 PM
dogger15
Racer

Thanks guys.

It is crazy that it took so long to build it though.
Yes it is crazy. Turns out GM ran out of diesel engines shortly after I placed my order. Since they were releasing a completely redesigned engine for 2017, they weren't going to build any more 2016 engines, so orders left after the engine supply ran out were rolled over to 2017 model.
Is it the picture or is that rear cab area smaller than the front area
No, the rear cab area IS smaller than the front because this is a club cab. This version is 10" shorter than a crew cab (lose 10" of legroom behind the front seats). I decided to go with the club because a crew would be a tad too tight for my garage.
Make sure to post up about the cameras and TPMS in the trailer when you use it.
Will do.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

I expect to see a moving LED in that hood scoop ala KIT or a Cylon every time I see that model truck.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I expect to see a moving LED in that hood scoop ala KIT or a Cylon every time I see that model truck.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing

Good looking truck! you'll be very happy when pulling your trailer loaded. These trucks do a awesome job...and I'm a Ford fan
Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 AM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the the new HD truck. Does this have the def tank by the passenger side door? If so, please let me know what you think of the aesthetics of it.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:34 PM
dogger15
Racer

I expect to see a moving LED in that hood scoop ala KIT or a Cylon every time I see that model truck
If the hood scoop wasn't functional, I could mount one of these to the front:

Name:  Knight%20Rider3_zpsdd2ks8fe.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  33.9 KB
Should be worth some laughs.

These trucks do a awesome job...and I'm a Ford fan
It was a tough decision, especially for someone who isn't a brand loyalist. All three manufacturers offer great trucks.

Does this have the def tank by the passenger side door?
The DEF fill is under the hood on the firewall:
Name:  fullsizeoutput_f39_zpsrt4ydcep.jpeg
Views: 432
Size:  147.0 KB

The DEF tank hold a little over 5 gallons. After reading through the manual, it appears GM's philosophy is DEF refills should coincide with oil changes (7500 miles). As for the placement under the hood instead of next to the fuel fill, don't know for sure. Maybe it was done to discourage filling the DEF with diesel.

When I went for my first test drive of one of these trucks, the only truck in stock was nearly empty so the salesman had to bring a mechanic to the gas station so the mechanic could refuel the truck. We pulled up to the pumps and while the salesman pointed out some of the features inside, the mechanic jumped out to fuel. A few minutes later, the mechanic jumped back in and told us we were all set. The salesman kept talking and mentioned "diesel" and the mechanic says "this is a diesel?" and I told the salesman to take the key out of the ignition. Turns out the mechanic didn't read the "diesel only" sticker under the fuel door or notice the Green fuel cap that also said "diesel only" and topped us off with gasoline. That was the end of that test ride.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by dogger15
When I went for my first test drive of one of these trucks, the only truck in stock was nearly empty so the salesman had to bring a mechanic to the gas station so the mechanic could refuel the truck. We pulled up to the pumps and while the salesman pointed out some of the features inside, the mechanic jumped out to fuel. A few minutes later, the mechanic jumped back in and told us we were all set. The salesman kept talking and mentioned "diesel" and the mechanic says "this is a diesel?" and I told the salesman to take the key out of the ignition. Turns out the mechanic didn't read the "diesel only" sticker under the fuel door or notice the Green fuel cap that also said "diesel only" and topped us off with gasoline. That was the end of that test ride.
I hope you don't plan on letting that dealer service it. Ouch! I guess you get what you pay for.

I thought that the nozzles were a different size for diesel to prevent just such an occurrence.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:41 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

I hope you don't plan on letting that dealer service it. Ouch! I guess you get what you pay for.

I thought that the nozzles were a different size for diesel to prevent just such an occurrence.
You would have thought that the big green fuel cap was an indication that it was a diesel. Yes, the diesel nozzles are usually bigger, so it prevents you from putting diesel in a gas, but not vice versa. I always remind myself not to make that same mistake. I can't imagine how much of a pain that would be to dump everything.

Awesome truck BTW! It almost makes me want to trade in my 15 for those new trailer camera features and such. I'm telling you, after you tow the first time, you will never want to go back to a lesser truck. Never!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Diesel nozzles are bigger, preventing (hopefully!) from filling a gas car with diesel. But you can indeed fit a gas nozzle into a diesel fill tube. [joke about ***** size goes here]

Putting gas into a diesel tank and vice versa obv isn't good. Putting DEF or diesel into each others' tanks is actually way worse. At the pump, some DEF dispensers are locked out with a magnetic filler pipe and dispenser combo.

Last edited by DTMiller; 01-03-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Buying Odyssey