Notices

Fuel Jug and winch setup for Featherlite 3110

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:33 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fuel Jug and winch setup for Featherlite 3110

Bough a Featherlite 3110 (2006; 17'6" x 8.5') which has fuel jug holders between the front tie downs as depicted. Unfortunately, this (1) seems to slightly interfere with the front tie downs and (2) takes away a spot for a small winch (Warn 4000 or so).

Can anyone recommend an alternate setup for fuel and a winch. I was thinking of putting the fuel jugs on the side which would not protrude more than the spare and fenders and then mount a 1/4" Alum plate in the holes where the fuel jugs are mounted and the winch to the plate.

All suggestions and sources for fuel jug holders appreciated.

db
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM
bsurdam91
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same trailer. I purchased a Pit Pal three jug aluminum mount. Attached it to the right side of the trailer in front of the wheels. This allowed me to brace it securely. Only challenge with this location is using the front tie downs. I have to remove the fuel jugs to reach under the car and clip into the hooks. Minor inconvenience. I would also recommend getting a strong wire mesh to line the bottom of the holder. Keeps everything more secure. I tie the jugs down with double bungee cords.

I like where you have mounted the spare tires. Going to steal that idea.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:03 PM
John Milne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might consider modifying your fuel jug holder to raise it and re designing the supports so that the winch and battery will fit under.

Good idea on spares!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Yup - here's my thoughts:

Use 8020.net parts to add a cross member assembly between the two uprights about a foot off the deck. Mount the existing fuel racks to that cross member against left and right uprights. Then mount the winch to the same cross-member in the center; add supports from under the cross member down to the deck and bolt to the deck (with some 1/4" Alum plate under the deck and welded to the framing for additional winch support).

The raised jugs then clear the tie downs nicely and everything fits. Even a battery box can fit under the raised platform.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the same trailer, with a battery box and a winch mounted between the two tie-downs. I currently have only one 2-jug holder and it's mounted against the side wall. Fits well there.

So you should consider taking the two holders up, rotating them 90 degrees, and then mounting them against the sides of the tire rack, on the outside of the tie-downs. That should give you plenty of room for the winch and battery.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:23 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

The uprights for the tire rack are about 80" apart. at 10" or so for each fuel jug holder, that only leaves 60" of width for the front 2 feet of the trailer - I don't think the nose of the car will fit in there, but having not put the 997.2 on the trailer yet, I'm not sure I need the whole length.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
The uprights for the tire rack are about 80" apart. at 10" or so for each fuel jug holder, that only leaves 60" of width for the front 2 feet of the trailer - I don't think the nose of the car will fit in there, but having not put the 997.2 on the trailer yet, I'm not sure I need the whole length.
Originally Posted by Difool
I have the same trailer, with a battery box and a winch mounted between the two tie-downs. I currently have only one 2-jug holder and it's mounted against the side wall. Fits well there.

So you should consider taking the two holders up, rotating them 90 degrees, and then mounting them against the sides of the tire rack, on the outside of the tie-downs. That should give you plenty of room for the winch and battery.
My guess based on weight distribution of the 2 different cars here as well as axle placement on the trailer that dbbarron's car might have to be positioned further forward on the trailer than difool's car.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Could be. My trailer was originally used for a GT3. I have a 987.1. There will be a difference, but not that huge. I had to move the wheel stops back a bit.

But with 6-9 wheels and 4 jugs of fuel up front you might want to check your tongue weight. I have my car almost as far back as my tie-downs will comfortably accommodate and with 7 Wheels + spare (8th wheel in the tow vehicle) I'm still a bit over the max tongue weight for the vehicle. So worth testing out - you might not need to tuck the nose in there. In which case that would be ideal with everything secure on the deck.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

If/when you come down for the front winch thingy I can weigh your tongue. Car and all must be loaded of course.

Also, check how old your trailer tires are. Some brands turn to crap in a few years. I do 3 years max and toss them.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Also, check how old your trailer tires are. Some brands turn to crap in a few years. I do 3 years max and toss them.
205/75r15 trailer tires x 6 (2 spares) - one tire has a 2012 DOT date; another maybe 2011; can't find the date on the others. Plenty of tread on all but maybe aged out.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:00 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Turns out the nose of the car when loaded should be right at the front plane of the uprights. Thus, I am wondering how much safe distance I should leave between the front of the car and anything in that area. For instance, if I turned the fuel jugs sidedways and mounted on the inside of the uprights, that would only leave a few inches to the nose of the car when loaded - seems too close for me.
That would relegate the jugs, winch and battery to the roughly front foot of the trailer. Gives 1'+ clearance when loaded.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you mount the jugs on the side of the trailer?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skxf430
Can you mount the jugs on the side of the trailer?
Certainly, I'd just have to be careful of interfering with the tie down access.
Any risk of having the jugs exposed on the road? Seems like no greater risk than the tires, fenders or spares in my case.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Not familiar with the feather lite, but on my trailer, I had them mounted onto the very front of the trailer, similar to the side mount in the picture above, but on the front side instead. Not sure your fuel holders are stiff enough mine were solid all around.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:15 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Certainly, I'd just have to be careful of interfering with the tie down access.
Any risk of having the jugs exposed on the road? Seems like no greater risk than the tires, fenders or spares in my case.
My jug holder didn't stick out any further than the fenders and still allowed me access to the tie down points but also my trailer was 20'.

Quick Reply: Fuel Jug and winch setup for Featherlite 3110