Notices

Has anyone used a rectangular storage box on the front of the trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:26 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Has anyone used a rectangular storage box on the front of the trailer?

Most installations are the trapezoidal-shape that follows the a-frame. This is to lessen the chance that the tow vehicle will strike the storage box on sharp turns. But you lose storage area as a result (compared with rectangular shape).
It seems very unlikely that my truck would hit ever a rectangular box, as the weight distribution hitch spring bars only allow a box that is 17" front-to-back.
I'm curious whether anyone has experience with using say a 40" wide rectangular box compared with a trapezoidal box. I've mocked this up and can't see how I would ever have a tight enough turn to interfere with the box.
Thanks for suggestions and insight.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:23 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a rectangular box typically used in pickup beds mounted to the front of mine - no problems.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:10 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MJP911
I have a rectangular box typically used in pickup beds mounted to the front of mine - no problems.
Thanks for this; I was thinking along the same lines.
Would you mind telling me the width and depth (front to back) measurements for the box you use?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 09:02 PM
Philip944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a rectangle box on the front of my open trailer. I used to have it mounted as far back as possible. Doing so didn't give me enough tongue weight so I had to move it forward to allow the car to come forward a bit on the trailer. Moving it forward cost me a taillight and bumper touch up paint. I just got greedy with my reversing turn radius.

I suggest coupling the trailer and backing up to maximum trailer vs truck angle then setting your box on the tongue to see where you can safely mount it. I would also do so with the car on the trailer in its typical location.

I do like the bigger box on my open trailer but it did cost me a bit of hassle and I learned a lot during the first few tows.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I pondered the same for some time, then ended up doing this:

It wasn't too expensive at HD.

This allows me full turning radius, the tongue jack to be used, and doesn't give up too much space. I keep trailer tools, chocks, tie downs, etc in it.

That said, I need an additional box to support the Cup. Still pondering that design..
Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a storage box (make sure it opens facing rearward) and three fuel jugs on the front of my open trailer.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Tractor Supply trapezoidal-shape box

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Most installations are the trapezoidal-shape that follows the a-frame. This is to lessen the chance that the tow vehicle will strike the storage box on sharp turns. But you lose storage area as a result (compared with rectangular shape).
It seems very unlikely that my truck would hit ever a rectangular box, as the weight distribution hitch spring bars only allow a box that is 17" front-to-back.
I'm curious whether anyone has experience with using say a 40" wide rectangular box compared with a trapezoidal box. I've mocked this up and can't see how I would ever have a tight enough turn to interfere with the box.
Thanks for suggestions and insight.
I had one of these, good for bulky items such as jack stands....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...lbox-371-cu-ft

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine has a rather large box on the front and it's never been an issue. If I allowed the truck to go to full jackknife when backing up the box would hit the truck but I'd have to be pretty crossed up for that to happen. Going forwards I can go to full lock and drive in a circle without interference.

Name:  ECFB9ECC-0591-4E6A-93B4-4A9F8073C1B1_zpszskxztm9.jpg
Views: 5454
Size:  388.6 KB

Quick Reply: Has anyone used a rectangular storage box on the front of the trailer?