Notices

X5 xdrive35i for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

UHaul does rent trailers in my area, but they are significantly heavier than alluminum trailers and some of the features on the UHaul trailers do not sound great, like the trailer brakes and the need to attach safety chains to the underside of the vehicle being transported on the trailer. I think the trailer brakes on the UHaul are not modulated by the brake pedal in the tow vehicle, but rather work on some sort of passive basis.

That said, if anyone has tried towing a UHaul car trailer, I would be interested in any insight you have regarding that option.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
UHaul does rent trailers in my area, but they are significantly heavier than alluminum trailers and some of the features on the UHaul trailers do not sound great, like the trailer brakes and the need to attach safety chains to the underside of the vehicle being transported on the trailer. I think the trailer brakes on the UHaul are not modulated by the brake pedal in the tow vehicle, but rather work on some sort of passive basis.

That said, if anyone has tried towing a UHaul car trailer, I would be interested in any insight you have regarding that option.
Looks like you have to make a choice with your self imposed limitations; storage space, vehicle, weight, etc, etc. GL
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Looks like you have to make a choice with your self imposed limitations; storage space, vehicle, weight, etc, etc. GL
Not sure what the "self-imposed limitation" comment is supposed to mean, but I am fairly sure it is not going to be helpful to me. I forgot that I was dealing with a superior member, or at least one who presents himself that way. I shouldn't have even bothered to reply to your previous post.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Not sure what the "self-imposed limitation" comment is supposed to mean, but I am fairly sure it is not going to be helpful to me. I forgot that I was dealing with a superior member, or at least one who presents himself that way. I shouldn't have even bothered to reply to your previous post.
I must have hit a nerve with constructive criticism. Self imposed limitations: Weight of trailer, surge brakes on trailer, renting trailer from a private individual, etc, etc, etc.

Sorry you felt that being self centered was an issue for you after asking for constructive advice. I even ask a member with experience to step in and help with a post. Thanx to your reply that now will be curtailed in the future for others; not that you care since it won't involve you.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:01 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have seen a number of Uhaul trailers at the track so it is doable although a bit heavier than an aluminum trailer. Also, the upkeep on them looks a bit rough but if that is the only way for you than it is certainly a viable option.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:03 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I do that "all the time", as I have R compound tires on my Boxster.
Yes, the u-haul "car transporter" is no a "feather light" trailer, it is a heavy (duty) one.
..and the risks that it would "take off & fly" are quite reduced, even at high towing speed !

Sure, the ramps are not the longest ones, so, to ramp up my Boxster (that has PSS9 on low position !) I do few tricks : one, I have a pair of RhinoRamps (60 bucks) to back up the rear axes of my towing car.
My towing vehicle is a CTT, so, I also set the suspension to high "terrain mode" (to load/unload).
The loading and unloading of my car is piece of cake, with the length of the u-haul ramps.
I also have two pieces of "mini ramps" that I drop in the front of the trailer, i.e.: to be under the front wheels, in order to left a bit the front lip spoiler, in order to not hit the front of the trailer with the spoiler.
The good : you do not have to have a spot to store your trailer, you have no insurance nor DMV to think about. The other good : The u-haul guys connect and de-connect the trailer, you keep clean hands, (while watching them !)
The cons : it cost you (I take normally two days) about 60 bucks a day, and you have to go and pick-it up and return it. You cannot open the doors to get in/out, but, as I have no roof, I use the same technique as entering/exiting a bathtub. If you have a roof, you can pivot the trailer wheel protection/cover, and this should let you open the door.

About the attachments : (provided by u-haul), in the front around the wheel both side, and one chain that sometime, when it is long enough, I connect it to the tow hook, (it should provide a psychologic help !) and in the rear, one chain, that "sometime" I connect, around the rear attachment of the anti torque bar, (quite easy), but, frankly, if you have a problem that would require that this chain is needed, I think, it become quite "secondary" !!

About the brakes : in my case, the CTT has brakes that would stop a freight train, so, it is really all fine.
I have a boat, that is not that long, ..but fat and heavy (it is a Cobalt), and for that, we do have a trailer (all is parked/stored inside a closed garage in marina), and the whole things is over 6'000 pounds.
In that towing case, I can say, then, that one, I *do* feel it, but a Boxster (ok, mine is light i.e.: no roof, li-ion battery, light seats, light wheel, etc..) ..I simply do not feel it at all.
Even, sometime, looking at the mirror, I think : "who the hell is tailgating me that close ??" to realize and .."sh... I forgot that I have the trailer down there !"

Note that for u-Haul, the "car transporter" is not always available, I recommend reservation as in advance as you can. Because if you have to get one from another location than the nearest one, ..you also have to return it there, ..if you want to avoid an heavy surcharge for returning it to a different than pick up location !

I hope that with the above, ..you got it all !!
Happy towing

A view of the little front wood ramps, to have peace with the spoiler lip : (note that I do not two with the top cover, I just need it, as ..I have no roof, to gain 18kg !)

Name:  986%20half%20top%20cover%20IMG_6230.jpg
Views: 2860
Size:  234.2 KB

Name:  rino%20ramp%20air%20susp%20high%20unloading%20easy%20800.jpg
Views: 2885
Size:  184.7 KB

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 01-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Yikes....
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2017, 01:10 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

OP, I would've recommended X5d but I see that you got a gas one already. For occasional towing I don't think it'll be a problem though. Also, I thought X5 max tow capacity was 5,000 lb. and not 6,000 lb.? Maybe the newer ones went up to 6,000 lb.?

As far as renting a UHaul trailer, plenty of people do it. Search online about stacking a bunch of 2x10" planks of various lengths to load your car without scraping the bumper cover. UHaul ramps are very short. Also, check out the trailer every time you rent one. I once rented a motorcycle trailer from UHaul and one of the tires was down to 4-5 psi (think it was supposed to be 60 psi).... but with the construction of that particular tire it did not look flat nor did it feel or seem flat when an employee gave it a kick to show me that it was taught. That could've potentially proven disastrous if I had driven away without manually checking tire pressures. One peculiar thing is that UHaul recommends against towing above 55 mph. Not sure what that's all about... could just be a legal thing.

You can also search around for places to store your trailer if you buy one. Contact local Porsche (or other) shops and they may let you store it on their lot for a monthly fee. You can also explore the self storage lots. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2017, 07:13 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
OP, I would've recommended X5d but I see that you got a gas one already. For occasional towing I don't think it'll be a problem though. Also, I thought X5 max tow capacity was 5,000 lb. and not 6,000 lb.? Maybe the newer ones went up to 6,000 lb.?

As far as renting a UHaul trailer, plenty of people do it. Search online about stacking a bunch of 2x10" planks of various lengths to load your car without scraping the bumper cover. UHaul ramps are very short. Also, check out the trailer every time you rent one. I once rented a motorcycle trailer from UHaul and one of the tires was down to 4-5 psi (think it was supposed to be 60 psi).... but with the construction of that particular tire it did not look flat nor did it feel or seem flat when an employee gave it a kick to show me that it was taught. That could've potentially proven disastrous if I had driven away without manually checking tire pressures. One peculiar thing is that UHaul recommends against towing above 55 mph. Not sure what that's all about... could just be a legal thing.

You can also search around for places to store your trailer if you buy one. Contact local Porsche (or other) shops and they may let you store it on their lot for a monthly fee. You can also explore the self storage lots. Good luck!
thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: X5 xdrive35i for towing?