SRW or DRW - Page 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

SRW or DRW

Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
reidry
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a large bumper pull trailer, 30' box plus 5' RV tongue. I started towing it with a 2005 RAM 2500 diesel. In Florida it was ok, but when I started traveling into hilly areas and the mountains it became evident that the trailer was in control.

Typical weight is 11k for a distant track day or mountain drive and 13k for a Chumpcar race. I run an equalizer load leveling hitch.

Upgraded to a 2015 RAM 3500 DRW about a year ago. Better starts, better control, better braking. Mountain towing went from a white knuckle, stressful experience to pleasant drive. My buddies with large boats all told me it would be night and day, I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. The weekend I brought the truck home, I transferred my hitch gear and went for a short tow. I was planning a trip around the block, 50 easy miles later I was convinced.

Ryan
reidry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #17
Coochas
Impeccable record
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterley View Post
I'm here for you, Dave
That's what friends are for. Thanks for spending my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidry View Post
I have a large bumper pull trailer, 30' box plus 5' RV tongue. I started towing it with a 2005 RAM 2500 diesel. In Florida it was ok, but when I started traveling into hilly areas and the mountains it became evident that the trailer was in control.

Typical weight is 11k for a distant track day or mountain drive and 13k for a Chumpcar race. I run an equalizer load leveling hitch.

Upgraded to a 2015 RAM 3500 DRW about a year ago. Better starts, better control, better braking. Mountain towing went from a white knuckle, stressful experience to pleasant drive. My buddies with large boats all told me it would be night and day, I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. The weekend I brought the truck home, I transferred my hitch gear and went for a short tow. I was planning a trip around the block, 50 easy miles later I was convinced.

Ryan
Good to hear. I think with the 44' gooseneck I should really do this.
Coochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #18
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

With a dually, if the mirrors don't hit, the rear fenders will make it through. Also, the dually will ride so nice with the trailer attached, you will just leave it hooked up all the time. LOL
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #19
Viperbob1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
With a dually, if the mirrors don't hit, the rear fenders will make it through. Also, the dually will ride so nice with the trailer attached, you will just leave it hooked up all the time. LOL
so true......
Viperbob1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #20
audipwr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

So basic consensus is get the DRW? I'm hunting a used f350 now
audipwr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:27 AM   #21
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterley View Post
Dave, that rig is a lot bigger than I am used to, but looking around the paddocks I would say most are using duallies, including Dave and Kristin.
The dually is pretty big for around town, but even the single wheel will be a monster.
If you need to and can, keep the single wheel and devote the dually to towing.
Do you think we are over-committed?
u will get used to it.
i DD my dually 25000 miles a year'
i drive it in and out of SF finanicial district with my suit and tie on
i park it indoors in parking structure with tight ramp.
i hit a few tjhings when i first started. walls, tree, parking meters, but now i am good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
true, i usually dont slow through toll booth. look straight, 75mph, haven't takend the booth down yet
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #22
Coochas
Impeccable record
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
u will get used to it.
i hit a few tjhings when i first started. walls, tree, parking meters, but now i am good.

true, i usually dont slow through toll booth. look straight, 75mph, haven't takend the booth down yet
It's about time you chimed in.
I've really progressed along the Mooty tow vehicle and trailer evolution.

All I need to do now is go toter home and stacker to finish it off.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #23
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coochas View Post
All I need to do now is go toter home and stacker to finish it off.
That's still not 11. You finish with a 53' transporter with lounge and a Kenworth for your trucker to drive it. You fly to the track or ride in the van with the crew.
Matt Romanowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:22 AM   #24
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty
u will get used to it.
i hit a few tjhings when i first started. walls, tree, parking meters, but now i am good.true, i usually dont slow through toll booth. look straight, 75mph, haven't takend the booth down yet
Yeah, but you are MOOTY, the god of trailers.
Impressive you drive the duallie into the city. That's not the most maneuverable of vehicles.
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:19 AM   #25
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i dont know much about trailers. but dually's prob is more width not length.
i often put front tire on sidewalk to finish off U-turns.
sidewalk = exit curbing. use all the pavement and SOME.
if you are nice with the parking attendants...
even in SF financial district, they left me take up 1.5 length (usually tandem parking).
the only bad thing it that it wont fit my garage so it's dirtier than my 2500 which is detailed as much as the GT cars.

but back to topic, dually is more stable towing, even with gooseneck. on bridges, i see other trailers move left and right, my just straight. and when ppl cuts me off, i have no problem slowing down, no lateral motion of trailer
Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #26
Hams955
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will chime in... I daily a Ram 3500 dually. My previous truck was a Ram 2500 SRW setup. Under tow the dually shines and towing a GN is a dream compared to the SRW truck. The SRW truck felt like it was at its limit with the trailer and would porpoise badly. I eventually added an aftermarket air ride system to the 2500. The 3500 I bought had the factory air lift system which really is unique to the HD truck segment since the Ram is the only one to offer it. It's quite impressive to see when the trailer bears down on the truck and the air lift system levels the truck off in a manner of seconds. The balance of the rig is dead on and towing is just a breeze. You can steer the truck at 75mph with fingers and it doesn't move around in the wind. You don't get sucked in by big tractors as much either.

Now with that to say - I drive my dually about 3000 miles a month commuting. I have become accustomed to driving it in dense urban city traffic of Dallas/FT. Worth. On the highway I have zero issues and parking isn't really an issue either. I was slightly stressed about the idea when I first upgraded but have since realized it's not a big deal at all. The only big change going from SRW to DRW I have perceived is the turning radius is less so you have to change your parking strategy. That normally means I am backing into spots.

Only REAL downside of the DRW? It's a pain to keep it clean because you can't just drive through a car wash in a pinch. That means touchless washes or hand washes. That's a LOT of truck to hand wash.

Last two things I would tell you... Since you are spec'ing out a Ram. Be sure and get the Aisin and the air ride options. The air ride, IMO is a huge benefit under tow and made a night/day difference on a heavily loaded trailer. The Aisin is just a beast of a transmission and I've never seen trans temps past 170 degrees even towing my rig into high heat.

Best of luck. Do the DRW you won't regret it.

- Chris.
Hams955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 AM   #27
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ totally on point. i do 2500 miles a month and i drive my dually into and out of SF financial district daily for 5 years. compared to dallas/FT, i thnk i got way more traffic and smaller streets.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #28
Coochas
Impeccable record
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams955 View Post
I will chime in... I daily a Ram 3500 dually. My previous truck was a Ram 2500 SRW setup. Under tow the dually shines and towing a GN is a dream compared to the SRW truck. The SRW truck felt like it was at its limit with the trailer and would porpoise badly. I eventually added an aftermarket air ride system to the 2500. The 3500 I bought had the factory air lift system which really is unique to the HD truck segment since the Ram is the only one to offer it. It's quite impressive to see when the trailer bears down on the truck and the air lift system levels the truck off in a manner of seconds. The balance of the rig is dead on and towing is just a breeze. You can steer the truck at 75mph with fingers and it doesn't move around in the wind. You don't get sucked in by big tractors as much either.

Now with that to say - I drive my dually about 3000 miles a month commuting. I have become accustomed to driving it in dense urban city traffic of Dallas/FT. Worth. On the highway I have zero issues and parking isn't really an issue either. I was slightly stressed about the idea when I first upgraded but have since realized it's not a big deal at all. The only big change going from SRW to DRW I have perceived is the turning radius is less so you have to change your parking strategy. That normally means I am backing into spots.

Only REAL downside of the DRW? It's a pain to keep it clean because you can't just drive through a car wash in a pinch. That means touchless washes or hand washes. That's a LOT of truck to hand wash.

Last two things I would tell you... Since you are spec'ing out a Ram. Be sure and get the Aisin and the air ride options. The air ride, IMO is a huge benefit under tow and made a night/day difference on a heavily loaded trailer. The Aisin is just a beast of a transmission and I've never seen trans temps past 170 degrees even towing my rig into high heat.

Best of luck. Do the DRW you won't regret it.

- Chris.
Thanks Chris. I ordered a truck just the way I wanted it and got the AISIN and air suspension. I ordered just about everything and the Longhorn trim mainly because I like cows.

I have thought about the fact that I need to hand wash the truck! My current 2500 SRW goes through the car wash no problem.

Quote:
^ totally on point. i do 2500 miles a month and i drive my dually into and out of SF financial district daily for 5 years. compared to dallas/FT, i thnk i got way more traffic and smaller streets.
Mooty, I drive my truck everywhere but having driven in SF myself, I'm amazed you take the truck in every day! That's awesome. The funny thing is I've always felt my 2500 is more comfortable than my luxurious 997TT and the electronics in the truck are certainly better. LOL.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:31 AM   #29
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coochas View Post

Mooty, I drive my truck everywhere but having driven in SF myself, I'm amazed you take the truck in every day! That's awesome. The funny thing is I've always felt my 2500 is more comfortable than my luxurious 997TT and the electronics in the truck are certainly better. LOL.
easy, remember DONT LIFT.
ppl will yield.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #30
Hoyt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
easy, remember DONT LIFT.
ppl will yield.
The best advice for when driving a big ole truck in heavy traffic