Notices

Intech trailer - interior lighting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts
Question Intech trailer - interior lighting question

Would somebody with an Intech trailer be willing to answer some questions about their interior lighting? I'm interested in the std ceiling dome lights.

Thanks in Advance
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I don't know what the standard lights are vs. the upgrade, but if the upgrade is LED and a lot of $..... I put these in the old light fixtures in my trailex and they are awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I don't know what the standard lights are vs. the upgrade, but if the upgrade is LED and a lot of $..... I put these in the old light fixtures in my trailex and they are awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Both are LED. The std is round with a frosted lens and the upgrade is rectangular with a clear lens.

But we are getting away from the basic question of the std light and are not dealing with a replacement or rewiring.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Our current 28' InTech only has the 18" rectangle LED interior lights. Not sure I've seen too many with the round/frosted lens combo. I can walk out back and double check the number but it's either 4 or 5 in a single row centered in the trailer. The new GN we've followed Brad's suggestion and we're doing double rows but truthfully it's going to be overkill. The trailer gets VERY bright with the single row right now, white walls, and aluminum floor.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrbkarter
Our current 28' InTech only has the 18" rectangle LED interior lights. Not sure I've seen too many with the round/frosted lens combo. I can walk out back and double check the number but it's either 4 or 5 in a single row centered in the trailer. The new GN we've followed Brad's suggestion and we're doing double rows but truthfully it's going to be overkill. The trailer gets VERY bright with the single row right now, white walls, and aluminum floor.
Thanx. You got PM
Old 01-12-2017, 12:01 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Exterior and features pics:

Winch setup

Pulley from center point for winch

A Track mounted

InTech extras: Heavy duty double post latch
Old 01-12-2017, 12:04 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Lighting Comparison pics:

18" LED strip light

Close up 18" LED strip light

18" LED strip light on

Side door open, LED lighting off- front of trailer to rear

Side door open, LED lighting on- Front of trailer to rear

Side door closed, LED lighting off- front of trailer to rear

Side door closed, LED lighting on- front of trailer to rear

Side door closed, LED lighting off, overhead vent closed with sunlight coming in- rear of trailer to front

Side door closed, LED lighting on, overhead vent closed with sunlight coming in- rear of trailer to front
Old 01-12-2017, 12:36 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have 4 of the 18" LED's down the middle of my 24' InTech. Plus smaller ones under the front cabinets
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

I went with the adage that you can never have too much light, so got the upgrade double rows of square led lights. And they work with just the battery. Simply awesome.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:01 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I know this might be off topic - my apologies.

From the brief time I've had in my enclosed, I have come to appreciate the low down lights on the walls. It illuminates under the car and makes it really easy to attach tie downs, etc. If there an option to add floor lighting or low-on-wall lighting, I'd recommend it. It's one more PITA to take a flashlight/shoplight with you while trying to work under the car strapping it down.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:32 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi jrbkarter, another off topic diversion...

Care to share how you attached those things to your wall? I want to put up similar stuff but am afraid to ruin my beautiful trailer.

What fasteners did you use? I assume that since the walls are made of square tubing you try to find the middle of the stud and drill a pilot hole? How do you know what weight they can hold? Especially for the tire rack?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 07:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I know this might be off topic - my apologies.

From the brief time I've had in my enclosed, I have come to appreciate the low down lights on the walls. It illuminates under the car and makes it really easy to attach tie downs, etc. If there an option to add floor lighting or low-on-wall lighting, I'd recommend it. It's one more PITA to take a flashlight/shoplight with you while trying to work under the car strapping it down.
The side escape door is quite a bit larger on this trailer than on a trailex. Plenty of room to go trough the wheels.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

There are two sides and it's dark under the car. I load/unload at night a lot of times as well.

Just a suggestion.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

There are two sides and it's dark under the car. I load/unload at night a lot of times as well.

Just a suggestion.
NP, understand. Its still a good suggestion on your part. But with better access the only hard wheel hookup I see on this Intech would be the RR wheel; if even that since there is more room than in a trailex.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:04 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I went with the adage that you can never have too much light, so got the upgrade double rows of square led lights. And they work with just the battery. Simply awesome.
Built in battery and LED lighting is for sure the way to go if the budget allows. Makes it much easier to swing into the trailer at night to grab something because you forgot it without the need to hook up the trailer to a tow vehicle or fumble around by flashlight. And as an added bonus- you'll probably never have to worry about changing a bulb again.

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Hi jrbkarter, another off topic diversion...

Care to share how you attached those things to your wall? I want to put up similar stuff but am afraid to ruin my beautiful trailer.

What fasteners did you use? I assume that since the walls are made of square tubing you try to find the middle of the stud and drill a pilot hole? How do you know what weight they can hold? Especially for the tire rack?

Thanks
Sure! We actually called InTech and discussed with them what fasteners to use where and for what. All the accessories are mounted directly to the aluminum uprights via various options. The A track (or Airline track, L track, Versa track, all the same stuff just different names) is all mounted via self tapping 1/4"x3/4" lag taper screws every fourth hole. The reason for the spacing is a) we weren't looking for the maximum load capability of the A track (aka we're not strapping any cars to the wall) and b) though the track is countersunk, our hardware heads are slightly too large to flush into the track so anywhere a screw is located- that particular slot is unavailable for use with a tiedown ring. The other Pitpal stuff (jack holder, chair holder, fire extinguisher holder) is mounted via self tapping 1/4"x1" lag hex head bolts. The helmet shelf/holder is some smaller hardware supplied by Pitpal IIRC, but again-fastened to the uprights.

The tire rack is bolted to the uprights via their supplied hardware. They make sure of your upright spacing when ordering the rack to confirm the length of the rack will match up to your uprights so knowing your spacing ahead of time is important. I didn't measure to confirm but the spare hardware looks to be self tapping 1/4"x2.5" lag hex bolts. If you're particularly concerned, you can always bolt all the way through the upright to the outside of the trailer (which is how the tire rack is mounted to the front wall of our ATC trailer) but InTech confirmed it's not required (nor how they mount the racks direct from the factory). We did pilot hole each mount point first just to keep things from traveling and to aid the self tapping tip to get started. It's certainly a little nerve wracking at first but after ~10k miles between the trailers, we've yet to have anything break off or even come loose.

Pictures for more details:

Tire rack full

Tire rack closeup

Tire rack spare hardware including pins for optional folding setup

Tire rack spare hardware closeup 1/4"x 2.5?" self tapping hex head lag bolts

A track full

A track close up

A track with ring mount

A track spare hardware closeup 1/4"x 3/4" self tapping screw head lag bolts

Quick Reply: Intech trailer - interior lighting question