Trailer tongue storage suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Trailer tongue storage suggestions needed

My 24' Haulmark enclosed came with a battery box (for the winch) on the a-frame. I'd like to replace that box with something bigger. Would love to carry my gas jugs in the new storage box, which should be vented.
If I still want to store that battery outside of the trailer box, which I do, the new storage needs (?) to include the battery. But I don't want a battery in the same compartment as my fuel jugs and fumes.
I figure the battery storage could be separated by a gas-tight wall, but am still hesitant about the safety issues.
Has anyone else considered storing their battery in the same compartment as their fuel jugs? And if they did, did you find a satisfactory solution?
Thanks for any suggestions. 'Don't be stupid' is acceptable if it's the right answer.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

My fuel jugs on the Aerovault are on a shelf about 18" above the battery inside. The shelf also holds my spare tires. I usually have 2-3 jugs very close to the battery as well.
My trailer has vents and I've never appreciated any odor of gas (well, you know what I mean).
There really should be no sparking unless you're working on the the power cables. No?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
My fuel jugs on the Aerovault are on a shelf about 18" above the battery inside. The shelf also holds my spare tires. I usually have 2-3 jugs very close to the battery as well.
My trailer has vents and I've never appreciated any odor of gas (well, you know what I mean).
There really should be no sparking unless you're working on the the power cables. No?
Thank you for this, Dave.
I'm kind of a 'keep potential sparks and flammable vapors apart' kind of guy (probably comes in part from my ocean sailing days with propane stoves). At this point I'm leaning toward separating the fuel storage from the battery box.
Looking forward to hearing more about your new trailer. Get the best one you can; Irene deserves it (you do too).

Quick Reply: Trailer tongue storage suggestions needed