Notices

Intech vs ATC aluminum trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtkrum
JRBKARTER you just answered every one of my questions LOL.

I got a Chevy 3500 LTZ Duramax in September just so I can haul whatever I want. I don't want a white-knuckle drive to the track - I want to get there safely and be relaxed. So we have that covered.

I was also questioning if I need built in ramp extensions, winch vs. escape door, awning vs EZ Up, etc.

I was going to do 2 rows of E-Track down each side wall so I could secure a rolling tool box, air compressor, and a few EZ Ups. Also, using shoring beams on E-Track can serve as a huge tire rack and you can take it down if you ever need room.

But the biggest thing is the size - I was going to do 24' - but as I am laying out a diagram it looks like with all my crap I need 28'.

I am in Indianapolis - so I have both ATC and InTech dealers in my back yard. I was also talking to the RPM Trailers guys a year ago - awesome bunch of folks.
If you have room where you store your trailer, go 28! With that 3500 you can do anything. My single car is about 22-23 feet and there's not much room in it and I have smallish cars!
Old 01-07-2017, 01:41 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Ditto on going bigger. I love my 24' ATC, but with the car, a scooter, and the cabinets filled up, there isn't much extra room. I have the shoring beam tire set-up up over the hood of the car, actually2 so i could bring 4 sets of spares. It's great, but if you plan on using the trailer during the day, and weight distribution is not an issue, consider putting them in the rear, high enough to drive the car underneath if possible. The way mine are, i either have to duck under all the time, or take them down and put them back up every weekend, which is doable, but a pain as well. I like easy, low maintenance and my set-up is not.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Here is what sold me on the ATC...

The Escape Door (See pic below). I have been so happy to have it every time i need to get in and out of the ATC/Quest/Becker (All made by ATC). I also ordered a 48" standard side door on the other side, mounted "piano hinge" style. Super high quality....compared to my Hallmark. The big surprise, the Hallmark weighed 3,000, not much aluminum on her, the ATC weighs all aluminum weighs 3,000. It takes a lot of aluminum to make that box rigid I suppose.

After 10 years of towing other peoples used trailers to the track, 1 Hallmark enclosed, a Featherlite Open and a Trailex Open, I decided it was time to have a new trailer, no more used crap. Did my best sales job on wifey, she bought the story.

I tow my 20 Ft. ATC with a 2006 TRD Toyota Tundra 4X4. I'd like to have a 2500 or 3500 truck, but then again, I'd like to be 21 years old again too. After spending $18,500 on a trailer, I'd have a tough time selling a $50,000 truck on the home front. And besides, the Tundra

The 4.7 liter 270HP, 5,000 lb. vehicle tows the 3,0000 Lb. trailer with a 3,000 Lb car like a dream. I don't have a weight distribution hitch....but I may get one. I do have 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue, with my 200 Lb + fat *** in the vehicle. Weight determined with a tongue scale and moving the car back and forth, with a pal noting the weights. Upon exit, there would have been less tongue weight, but it will be made up with a set of wheels 175 Lbs and some misc. track items stored in 2 bins.

ATC's nearest dealership is in Las Vegas, no inventory, they build to customer's specs.
Becker
6963 Speedway Blvd #101,
Las Vegas, NV 89115
Salesman: Scott Rausch (Very professional, excellent followup skills)
scott@beckercustomtrailers.com
1 (702) 802-1564
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Becker Final Specs.pdf (2.43 MB, 194 views)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Confused why you say Becker but everything about your spec sheet says ATC Quest model.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ExMB
Confused why you say Becker but everything about your spec sheet says ATC Quest model.
It's all the same, Becker, Quest, ATC. I ordered a Becker, but my trailer has a two (2) ATC brands as well as a Quest brand...no mention of Becker. So I have enclosed pics of the brands, 2 ATC and one Quest, as well as a label shot of a great Rose' from France, Provence.

Sorry for the sideways pics. Just turn your laptop on its side....
Attached Images     
Old 01-07-2017, 04:41 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Piecing this together here, but looks like you purchased an ATC Quest from a dealer called Becker. Or maybe that's just the Rose talking...
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
It's all the same, Becker, Quest, ATC. I ordered a Becker, but my trailer has a two (2) ATC brands as well as a Quest brand...no mention of Becker. So I have enclosed pics of the brands, 2 ATC and one Quest, as well as a label shot of a great Rose' from France, Provence.

Sorry for the sideways pics. Just turn your laptop on its side....
Why would you want vents on the bottom, as shown in your pics, when temps suggest to get them up high?

P.S.
If you had "Mosel" wine instead of that French one you wouldn't need to turn your computer screen to see correctly - in case you're not sideways while looking at RL.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default This should clear up the puzzle

Check out this URL: http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/enclosedcarhaulers.php

Vents on the bottom? There are two vents, one on the drivers side up high, the other on the passenger side down low. That didn't concern me...I wanted that Escape Door, and I have it, love it. I also wanted an aluminum trailer, finished on the inside, got that too.

I wanted monster tires that run at 80 psi (ST235/80R16/LRE - RADIAL ON ALUMINUM - W/STAINLESS STEEL LUG NUTS), got that too. I also have a matching aluminum spare.

So I wan't worried too much about the vents..........and BTW they appear to work well, can be open while in transit, as opposed to roof vents that can be adversely affected by the wind while under tow.

Service from Becker/ATC/Quest...whomever, has been great. Whatever piddling little things needed correction, Becker sends me a check.

If I ever get a 2500/3500 truck, I'll sell of the 20' trailer and get a 24' or >
Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Nope.

A link to ATC showing their Raven and Quest line. Becker no where in sight.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Calma te

Originally Posted by ExMB
Nope. A link to ATC showing their Raven and Quest line. Becker no where in sight.
The only way for you to end your confusion, call Scott @ Becker (Las Vegas)
Scott Rausch

He will end the confusion.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:42 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Becker Custom Trailer is a dealer for ATC trailers.

https://www.beckercustomtrailers.com
Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
Becker Custom Trailer is a dealer for ATC trailers.

https://www.beckercustomtrailers.com
That was what I was trying to say
Old 01-08-2017, 01:05 PM
htron435
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a while there Becker was rebranding ATC trailers as "Becker" trailers -- ATC was applying "Becker" decals at the factory. I don't know if they're still doing that though.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtkrum
JRBKARTER you just answered every one of my questions LOL.

I got a Chevy 3500 LTZ Duramax in September just so I can haul whatever I want. I don't want a white-knuckle drive to the track - I want to get there safely and be relaxed. So we have that covered.

I was also questioning if I need built in ramp extensions, winch vs. escape door, awning vs EZ Up, etc.

I was going to do 2 rows of E-Track down each side wall so I could secure a rolling tool box, air compressor, and a few EZ Ups. Also, using shoring beams on E-Track can serve as a huge tire rack and you can take it down if you ever need room.

But the biggest thing is the size - I was going to do 24' - but as I am laying out a diagram it looks like with all my crap I need 28'.

I am in Indianapolis - so I have both ATC and InTech dealers in my back yard. I was also talking to the RPM Trailers guys a year ago - awesome bunch of folks.
Happy to have helped and glad I covered most of it. As you can tell, I've done a ton of trailer research, layout, and buying. With the 3500 you're definitely setup to haul anything you want and I agree with everyone else that has commented- if you're going to do a bumper pull then a 28' is exactly where you want to live. You can go longer for a TAG (30-32') but at that length they get super fun to negotiate around fuel stops, food stops, and of course backing up. Location wise- you're in AWESOME shape as it's a quick drive to either factory location for pickup which some dealers even discount the cost of delivery to them for you.

As for wheel storage- we looked long and hard at the E-Track/load beam method but the single largest negative was enough to dissuade us- namely- it's always going to be in the way of something. If it's in the rear (unless you have a super extra height trailer and then good luck getting them up and down regularly) you're going to have to pull the spare wheels out and beams down to get the car out, then reverse the process after a long day at the track. If they're at the front over the hood, then you can get the car in and out, but now to use the trailer interior without having most of the trailer blocked off, you need to take them out, and reverse again at the end of the day. Now, if you're someone who uses your spare wheels to weigh down your pop up, etc, anyway, then screw it, you're taking them out anyway so no big deal. Or, if you're someone who doesn't plan to be in the trailer to hang out, then leaving them blocking the front doesn't matter. However, in the TX heat we most certainly hide in the trailer (or the COTA garages if we rent one) so we need to have that floor space open for chairs, people, tables, etc. Additionally, we use sand bags to secure our tents, so if the spare wheels aren't going on a car, they live in the rack. Also, if you're going with a larger trailer, don't forget you can be creative/flexible with your solutions. Our current 28' Intech is setup with the 8' wall/floor cabinets down the road side of the trailer instead of across the front nose of the trailer. It's actually this exact trailer layout here:

http://www.intechtrailers.com/tag-trailers.php

Click Gallery and then 2nd row, 3rd from the left, REF #4639

It's a fairly standard 28' setup (no insulation sadly) that we were able to purchase for right around $25k. We liked that cabinet setup because it gives us a ton of flexibility in the front of the trailer to load whatever we want and adjust our tongue weight. Even with the 2016 RAM 2500, we still had to play with car and loading to get the balance correct, otherwise we had a lot of tail wagging the dog. Your truck will have even less chance of that being an issue but flexibility is never a bad thing. Instead of load bars, or any permanent mounted rack, instead we went with a rolling vertical rack such as this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../003639sch01a/

Which we then strap to the front wall, along with VP fuel jugs, to 4' sections of A track we've mounted vertically directly to the aluminum uprights of the trailer. Continuing the theme we have a standard Craftsman 3 piece rolling cab, center section, and top box strapped to the curb side wall in front of the side door, two piece race ramps strapped to the wall along the RS, and CS. Added a few key Pitpal pieces (wall mounted the oil/fuel rack CS, vertical Jack storage curb side, chair holder above CS wheel well) and we were good to go. We actually ended up swapping our wheel storage setup to a permanent wall mounted rack late last year, as we decided we just weren't rolling them in and out very often but the ideas still hold true.

One thing I've certainly learned is that each decision you make about how one thing (where am I storing fuel for example) definitely impacts several more down the way so be sure to really plan out how you intend to use the trailer and your basic flow on a regular day at the track. We've taken those lessons and have integrated them into the new trailer build to help reduce setup/breakdown times and keep the stuff we need readily available.

Originally Posted by linzman
Ditto on going bigger. I love my 24' ATC, but with the car, a scooter, and the cabinets filled up, there isn't much extra room. I have the shoring beam tire set-up up over the hood of the car, actually2 so i could bring 4 sets of spares. It's great, but if you plan on using the trailer during the day, and weight distribution is not an issue, consider putting them in the rear, high enough to drive the car underneath if possible. The way mine are, i either have to duck under all the time, or take them down and put them back up every weekend, which is doable, but a pain as well. I like easy, low maintenance and my set-up is not.
Exactly this^^^

The Escape Door (See pic below). I have been so happy to have it every time i need to get in and out of the ATC/Quest/Becker (All made by ATC). I also ordered a 48" standard side door on the other side, mounted "piano hinge" style. Super high quality....compared to my Hallmark. The big surprise, the Hallmark weighed 3,000, not much aluminum on her, the ATC weighs all aluminum weighs 3,000. It takes a lot of aluminum to make that box rigid I suppose.

After 10 years of towing other peoples used trailers to the track, 1 Hallmark enclosed, a Featherlite Open and a Trailex Open, I decided it was time to have a new trailer, no more used crap. Did my best sales job on wifey, she bought the story.

I tow my 20 Ft. ATC with a 2006 TRD Toyota Tundra 4X4. I'd like to have a 2500 or 3500 truck, but then again, I'd like to be 21 years old again too. After spending $18,500 on a trailer, I'd have a tough time selling a $50,000 truck on the home front. And besides, the Tundra

The 4.7 liter 270HP, 5,000 lb. vehicle tows the 3,0000 Lb. trailer with a 3,000 Lb car like a dream. I don't have a weight distribution hitch....but I may get one. I do have 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue, with my 200 Lb + fat *** in the vehicle. Weight determined with a tongue scale and moving the car back and forth, with a pal noting the weights. Upon exit, there would have been less tongue weight, but it will be made up with a set of wheels 175 Lbs and some misc. track items stored in 2 bins.

ATC's nearest dealership is in Las Vegas, no inventory, they build to customer's specs.
Becker
6963 Speedway Blvd #101,
Las Vegas, NV 89115
Salesman: Scott Rausch (Very professional, excellent followup skills)
scott@beckercustomtrailers.com
1 (702) 802-1564

Definitely good info! We've been using a 2006 20' ATC (the trailer that introduced us to good aluminum trailers) for several years now and it's about the max I suggest behind an SUV or 1/2 ton pickup. Done right and packed well, it's all you need but it's certainly something that given the chance to upgrade the tow vehicle in the future, a bump to a 24' or 28' would ease some tightness. I highly recommend getting the weight distro hitch, we've used it on all of the smaller tow vehicles (Denali, Yukon XL- Porsche strictly forbids it but the Cayenne has the 4 wheel air suspension so it compensates itself nicely) and it makes a world of difference in those (they both had rear only air leveling) by keeping more load on the front axles. We found, as you have, that trailer balance is absolutely critical and moving the car front or back as little as six inches can make the difference. Sounds like you've got a tongue scale and have played that dance already though!

That was what I was trying to say
Becker is an ATC dealer and had (have?) a rebranding deal with ATC to have their trailers branded with Becker by ATC during production. However, Becker is not a manufacturer and all of "their" trailers are made by ATC in Indiana. Becker is a very large dealer with a ton of customizing experience though so if you're west coast or SW, they're an excellent option to order your trailer through or they generally have a decent selection of stock trailers on hand as well.

So much
Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by htron435
For a while there Becker was rebranding ATC trailers as "Becker" trailers -- ATC was applying "Becker" decals at the factory. I don't know if they're still doing that though.
Thats probably where I got confused by Martin S.'s statement. There are too many companies already making private label stuff.

Quick Reply: Intech vs ATC aluminum trailer