Notices

Intech vs ATC aluminum trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, not sure but why would a seller OVER-state the weight of his trailer? I've also heard it elsewhere that tricked out aluminum 24' trailers (with insulation, cabinets, beefier axles, etc.) weigh around 4000lb. Equivalent steel maybe few hundred lb more, if that. This is all anecdotal so would love to see and compare some actual scale weight numbers.
That may be hard because to be fair and accurate you'd have to find a manufacturer that builds the same model in both aluminum and steel. Comparing different manufacturer's, design teams may very well introduce different guidelines for structural build. I.E. one may decide that a 2 beam tongue is enough whereas another may want a 3 beam one.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of interest, have you put your CH305 on weight scales and compared the number with their estimate?
Actually, my trailer is a CH405. ATC estimates the curb weight at 3825 lbs on their website (26' w/ 6.0K axles), and my trailer with all the trimmings (winch, extra battery, tire racks, A/C, etc.) weighs 4217 lbs. per the scale. I know the approximate weight of some of the additions: A/C 100 lbs, winch and battery 110 lbs, tire racks 70 lbs, second spare tire 100 lbs, so the manufacturer's curb weight estimate for a generic CH405 appears to be pretty accurate.

That may be hard because to be fair and accurate you'd have to find a manufacturer that builds the same model in both aluminum and steel
Good point and the reason I cited the ATC info because it allows you to do just that.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

dogger, that's helpful. Thx!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

When you buy an InTech they weigh it and include the sheet showing how much it weighed at delivery.

I thought this thread was about ATC vs Intech, not about steel vs aluminum. I bought an Intech because I priced both and got a slightly better deal. I also looked at a bunch of trailers in the paddock, mostly focusing on the ATC. Don't get me wrong, they are one of the best aluminum trailers, but the finish quality on the Intech just outclasses it. Every joint is perfectly mitered. If you look closely at the fine details you'll see what I mean. It's a work of art.

I also wanted the aluminum floor. The rubber coin floor didn't seem like a good idea to me. It didn't seem like it would be easy to clean up if you had an oil leak or something.

I've only had it for a season but have loved it. No regrets. If I ever decide to sell it and upgrade to a bigger one, I expect to get a good resale value.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Here is what I needed to ....

...get the Credit Union to sign off. You will note the shipping weight is duly noted as 3,010.

The trailer would have been lighter had I not opted for :
-16" wheels with 235/80 tires + a spare VS lighter 15" wheels and a spare,
-Battery for potential winch,
-Shore power electronics,
-Twin scissor jacks in the rear
-48" passenger side entry door VS standard 24" door...24" too small,
-DOOR - ESCAPE - PREMIUM - 88" X 66" - TOP HINGE - FLUSH LOCK - REMOVABLE WHEEL WELL, ALUMINUM STEP
ONE PIECE REMOVABLE INTERIOR WHEEL WELL

Becker, Las Vegas was the dealer, trailer has a Quest Part#, and a signature from Aluminum Trailer Corporation. All seems a bit complicated, really not the case, seamless, and the quality of the trailer build, classy.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ATC COO Doc.pdf (394.7 KB, 196 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Martin, what lenght and did it have any cabinets?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
He is posted it earlier in this thread. See attachment.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
20 FT trailer, and no cabinets, although the interior is completely finished, both walls and ceiling. I did add some extras, notable the 235/80/16 monster tires and aluminum wheels + spare of the same composition.

The Drivers side escape door (Multi Purpose) is what sold me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-11-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Thx. That escape door looks great. Great for a paddock shade and a cross-breeze. Every trailer should have it.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:13 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Both Intech and ATC offer the basic (cheapest) plywood flooring. Intech claims that they have a standard aluminum underfloor layer to protect the plywood from the elements. Does ATC have the same or is the plywood just paint-protected underneath?

Martin, how is this on yours?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Both Intech and ATC offer the basic (cheapest) plywood flooring. Intech claims that they have a standard aluminum underfloor layer to protect the plywood from the elements. Does ATC have the same or is the plywood just paint-protected underneath?

Martin, how is this on yours?
Paint protected only
Old 01-12-2017, 12:52 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also wanted the aluminum floor. The rubber coin floor didn't seem like a good idea to me. It didn't seem like it would be easy to clean up if you had an oil leak or something.
This is the main reason why I went with the CH405 on the ATC side, it comes standard with the extruded Aluminum floor. You can get the same floor on other Quest models as an option. Cost depends on size, but it's $2300 for the 26 foot.

For those looking to shave weight, the Aluminum floor is a couple of hundred pounds lighter than the plywood/coin rubber.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Re aluminum floors.
My CargoPro had the nice bright aluminum floor and I couldn't imagine wanting a rubber coin floor.
But my new-to-me HaulMark came with the coin, and I like it. Nice to not have the bright sun reflecting in my eyes and the slipperiness.
I am surprised that I prefer the coin but those new aluminum floors sure are pretty.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the options I added to my Intech, on top of what they include in their iCon package, here are the things I really appreciate having:

1. Insulation and air conditioning. I'm in Texas - enough said. Although if it's 90+ degrees and sunny, the A/C can't keep up, so I don't bother using it at that point.

2. Wireless, in floor winch, with rope instead of steel. Loading up the car is so much easier.

3. Power tongue jack.

4. Two folding tire racks mounted on the walls. I wish I would have added a third.

5. Two spare tires mounted on the walls at the rear of the trailer, high up on the walls. This means I always have easy access to the spares, compared to them being in the floor, and I really prefer to carry two spares because losing one tire can often take out the other on that side. Fortunately, I've never had a flat on this trailer.

6. Two lines of airline track running down the length of the floor. This makes it very flexible to secure different length cars, as well as other items.

I also have a manual awning and really like it, but I haven't had to use it that often.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Can anyone suggest a good Intech dealer near the west coast?

Quick Reply: Intech vs ATC aluminum trailer