Notices

Backup cam on OPEN trailer?

Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Backup cam on OPEN trailer?

Anyone mount a (wireless) backup camera on an OPEN trailer?
Understand they are normally mounted top center on enclosed trailers.
I would have to mount it on the back edge of my open trailer. It's a bit exposed there.....

For assistance backing up, etc.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Anyone mount a (wireless) backup camera on an OPEN trailer?
Understand they are normally mounted top center on enclosed trailers.
I would have to mount it on the back edge of my open trailer. It's a bit exposed there.....

For assistance backing up, etc.
Yep, works great.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Yep, works great.
Can you send a pic of the mounting setup?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Can you send a pic of the mounting setup?
Trailer is in storage at the moment but I use a gate hinge and a strong magnet... Gate hinge is mounted on top of the rear deck with the camera on it and then when I load the car I flip the gate hinge down so the camera is tucked out of the way... I hard wired mine to the battery on my trailer.

This was the only pic I could find and the camera is down in this pic...
Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Trailer is in storage at the moment but I use a gate hinge and a strong magnet... Gate hinge is mounted on top of the rear deck with the camera on it and then when I load the car I flip the gate hinge down so the camera is tucked out of the way... I hard wired mine to the battery on my trailer.

This was the only pic I could find and the camera is down in this pic...
Thanks for that!
I have marker lights in those holes, but could remove the center one for the camera mount similar to yours.

What are you using to receive the video signal?
I've seen dedicated screens and also WiFi units which would work nicely as my phone mount is in a good spot for that.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Thanks for that!
I have marker lights in those holes, but could remove the center one for the camera mount similar to yours.

What are you using to receive the video signal?
I've seen dedicated screens and also WiFi units which would work nicely as my phone mount is in a good spot for that.
I originally tried the wifi unit and the phone but was less than impressed for a few reasons.
1. There was a few seconds lag sometimes and sometimes just pauses, not ideal
2. It required you connect to the camera systems wifi. Problem is most phones do not like connecting to wireless that doesn't have internet also, it will keep trying to beacon to another wireless to connect to and dropping the connection making for a real PITA. Not to mention the app shutting down every time you get a message or email.

I ended up switching to the dedicated screen and absolutely love it!! I put it up next to my rear view on the passenger side and actually leave it on the entire time. It is great for a quick check before changing lanes and because I naturally look at the rear view only to realize all I can see is my tire rack anyway it's really natural. No pairing, no wireless, leaves my phone free and I figure if I move to an enclosed I'll take it with me. Money well spent imho though. That and a trailer TPMS system!!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

That is great input about the WiFi units. I was worried about that.
My truck has a factory option for a trailer camera, but I understand the system is plagued by issues as well such as having to wait 7 seconds and manually switch the screen every time you go into reverse with the trailer. A total fail.

Thus, the dedicated screen seems like the best and simplest option.

What size monitor did you get?
Do you recall the brand/model unit?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

My truck has a factory option for a trailer camera, but I understand the system is plagued by issues as well such as having to wait 7 seconds and manually switch the screen every time you go into reverse with the trailer. A total fail.

I believe it's this one... They make an HD unit now but I don't believe I sprung for that one. Quality is absolutely top notch. I actually had it fall off the trailer once and was dragging the camera down the road at 70mph until I can pull over. It had some scratches but I remounted it and it's been fine ever since!! Pretty impressive it can overcome my stupidity LOL!
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...er-rv-cam.html
Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ thanks for the info and the link! I'm looking for a system for my 28' enclosed car hauler. I only wish I would of had my trailer pre-wired for the camera at the factory, it would of made thing A LOT easier and cleaner of an install.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hoyt
^^^ thanks for the info and the link! I'm looking for a system for my 28' enclosed car hauler. I only wish I would of had my trailer pre-wired for the camera at the factory, it would of made thing A LOT easier and cleaner of an install.
Do you have a battery on the trailer? I wired my entire thing up with a battery tender quick disconnect off my trailer battery and a battery tender extension cable... One wire.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt
I am using a wireless system for my enclosed. I got mine from Tadi brothers. The camera mounts to the upper rail of the back of the trailer and you wire the power off of the running lights that are in the same area. Simply turn on your running lights and the camera is powered up. The wireless transmitter is powered by the same source. The receiver and Screen sit on the dashboard and are powered off of a cigarette lighter 12v plug attachment. No need to run long wires to the battery of the trailer. The 12 volts off the running light will be more than sufficient.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right on here -- a dedicated small, dimmable monitor is good (for night driving, and because you always want the view behind the trailer without having to switch to it).
I have a cheap non-wifi wireless system I assembled from Amazon parts on my enclosed, and I would never go back to towing without it -- being able to see clearly behind the trailer is fantastic.
The camera and transmitter are powered by the vehicle (via the power wire on the trailer connector when it plugs in) and the screen and receiver plug in to the 12v port in the centre console of the truck.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have a battery on the trailer? I wired my entire thing up with a battery tender quick disconnect off my trailer battery and a battery tender extension cable... One wire.
I sure do, but my problem is the inside of the trailer is completely finished and not easy to fish a wire thru the walls from the rear to the front.....

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
I am using a wireless system for my enclosed. I got mine from Tadi brothers. The camera mounts to the upper rail of the back of the trailer and you wire the power off of the running lights that are in the same area. Simply turn on your running lights and the camera is powered up. The wireless transmitter is powered by the same source. The receiver and Screen sit on the dashboard and are powered off of a cigarette lighter 12v plug attachment. No need to run long wires to the battery of the trailer. The 12 volts off the running light will be more than sufficient.
Hmmmm....I like this idea of using the running lights for the power source. This would be much easier than trying to fish a wire thru the walls.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I use a wifi camera made by a company called Hyndsight. Use it with my Trailex open trailer and it works well for me. It has a dedicated monitor and works in mirror mode, so it feels a lot like looking in a rear view mirror. I do wish the battery in the camera lasted a bit longer but I have more than one camera so I can just swap cameras when the battery runs out. The battery on the camera lasts about 4 or 5 hours usually. The battery on the monitor lasts longer though. I mount the camera on a ram suction cup mount and stick it to the rear window of my GT4. Gives a good view of everything and stays out of the way of road grime. The cameras are also waterproof.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Here is how to install a camera on an open trailer.

First drive an enclosed trailer around for a while and practice backing up into tight spaces.

Then get back into your vehicle with an open trailer and realize that you don't need a camera because you can see everything!

I just saved everyone a ton of money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup cam on OPEN trailer?