Notices

Help me setup my Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:12 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help me setup my Colorado

On my way down that slippery slope, I just purchased a Colorado Diesel Z71; crew cab, short bed. I will be towing a featherlite 3110 17'6" by 8.5" with my 997.2.

The truck came from the factory with the spray in bedliner. I am looking at how to setup the bed with a toolbox and tonneau cover and am looking for recommendations. Also, I want to add running boards.

Most days, I will be using it as a daily driver and as such need a secure bed for everyday stuff. On track days, I need to store tools, race ramps, etc. in the bed. My trailer has a tire rack and gas jug holders so no need for that on the bed.

I will rarely if ever be using the truck to haul anything else large.

Thus, I'm thinking about a tool box mounted on top of the bed against the cab and a roll up tonneau cover that will cover the remainder of the bed. I'd like a black colored box (rather than diamond plate or chrome) to blend in visually better with the tonneau cover.

For the running boards, I like the ones that have discrete steps and an extra step to get to the tool box at the front of the bed.

Any thoughts, suggestions, brands, alternatives much appreciated.

db
Old 12-24-2016, 05:08 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hit up etrailer.com and poke around, I pick up all my truck toys from them.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also consider how you will handle fuel at a multi-day event. You may want to haul the fuel jugs in the truck if you are filling the jugs in town during the event.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:03 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW
my Dodge 2500 came with a color matched cap on top of the bed. I wanted to immediately remove it for visibility backing up and towing. It has remained and I am happy I left it on. Its like having a four season mini-storage on the back of your truck. Less convenient for the tool box for sure but the convenience to schlep a lot of big stuff around in crappy weather is worth it to me. Oh, and in a pinch, you can also slept in it with a blow-up mattress.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:50 PM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the DiamondBack HD truck bed cover which is secure and waterproof. An added benefit is the additional inch plus in enclosed storage height between the support ribs which in the case of the Ford Super Duty allows for fuel jugs to be transported with the top closed. I have yet to utilize the 1600-lb. hauling capacity on top of the cover but for some reason it's reassuring to know it's there. The SE model is lighter and probably just as good for our needs. That said, I've seen what Scott hauls in his bed and it's hard to beat the utility of a cap.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Cap with locks. If you are going to be staying at hotel/motels, it is a must.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:27 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I probably won't go with a cap.

I'm considering the BAK Revolver X2 and Bakbox2.

Given its normally a daily driver truck and not a work truck, but needs to do track duty, I think this gives me the required level of storage and flexibility and security.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the folding version of the tonneau and like it a lot. Nice and heavy duty.
I bought the Bakbox thinking it would come in handy but it's pretty useless.
If you are interested in mine and can pick it up (central MA) you are welcome to it.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:25 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I bought the Bakbox thinking it would come in handy but it's pretty useless.
If you are interested in mine and can pick it up (central MA) you are welcome to it.
I was thinking it (the BakBox) would be good for light tools and supplies like jumper cables, a jump box, jack rod, some fluids, tape,a few small tools, torque wrench and centerlock tools.

What do you use now after abandoning the Bakbox?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I was thinking it (the BakBox) would be good for light tools and supplies like jumper cables, a jump box, jack rod, some fluids, tape,a few small tools, torque wrench and centerlock tools.

What do you use now after abandoning the Bakbox?
I did too and it is, but my F250 has so much storage under the seats I ended up never using it and just left it folded up. Finally removed it late this fall.
Nothing wrong with the idea of the box, I just couldn't make use of it.
It's not as useful as a real truck bed box but on the other hand it doesn't take up much space.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:55 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

After lots of research, I've decided on a roll up tonneau cover and not to break the bank, but stay mid market with the Access Loredo (about $450). I will likely just lash a plastic storage box against the cab.

As I have just under 44" between the wheel wells, it seems the best option is the Rubbermaid Action packer

It Fills the width nicely, but is a bit too wide and high to my liking (although it fits fine in the bed and would also fit in the back seat if I needed the whole bed on occasion). However, it is well rated and seems well built. I found a few other options slightly smaller, but they are not reviewed as well, mostly less strudy - i.e., thin plastic walls.

Any other suggestions welcome!
db

Quick Reply: Help me setup my Colorado