Notices

Trailer dolly experience?

Old 10-21-2016, 10:31 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Trailer dolly experience?

Backing up my open Trailex 8045 by the side of the house, let alone into 9 ft wide garage door, is a bit of a pain.

Does anyone have experience with a manual or motorized trailer dolly that could deal with a fairly small incline driveway?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

I thought they had a wheeled jack that is supposed to function as a dolly.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:46 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Get a better front jack. The one that came with mine was not great for rolling any significant distance. Or get a trailer dolly at Harbor Freight for ~ $50. If you need power to move an open trailer, ......
Old 10-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I have one of the motorized parkit360 units. It works quite well. I can move my 2300 pound Aerovault with a 3600 pound car inside with no problem. One of the things I like about it is that I can park my trailer 'nose in' against my tree line allowing access to the loading bay in winter months. You can precision park a trailer with it.

You should talk to the manufacturer if you decide to buy one to make sure that the "small incline" is within acceptable limits. I did not get mine with the electric brake switch hookup and wish that I had.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:38 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Good info.
Thanks Dave!

Will look into it.
They are currently having a sale too.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:28 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

We used a Powercaster brand trailer dolly. Electric motor, three tires next to each other. We used it with our 32' Pace Tag. Worked like a charm, we put it into our shop with like 3" clearance on one side and the back. A total precision tool, amazing how well it worked. We would even move it (gasp) with two SE30 cars in the trailer. I am sure that is way way over the design spec of the mover, but it worked even up a very slight slope.

Now, be careful about slopes. Our slope was to a drain in the parking lot. You know very slight. But the trailer would push the trailer mover a little bit. So you had to really watch it. Your trailer is light so probably not a problem.

Funny story, at the 25 hours of Thunderhill the paddock is packed, I mean, really tight. We broke at hour 14 and were packing up, but we couldn't get the trailer out without blocking the paddock. Solution: My brother actually fired up the EU2000i generator and put it on the tonque of the trailer, and plugged it into the trailer mover. He 'drove' the trailer right out of our wedged spot and down the paddock so we could hook up the truck. People were like 'WHAT THE HELL'? It was awesome.

I got it used of CL for about $800.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DHI
Backing up my open Trailex 8045 by the side of the house, let alone into 9 ft wide garage door, is a bit of a pain.

Does anyone have experience with a manual or motorized trailer dolly that could deal with a fairly small incline driveway?
I have a similar situation so I picked up a Parkit360. Works perfectly, am able to park the trailer precisely.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're towing with a truck, check into installing a front hitch receiver. Etrailer has a good selection of them along with installation videos. I put one on my F250 and use the front hitch to put my boat back in the garage.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:55 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew_K
If you're towing with a truck, check into installing a front hitch receiver. Etrailer has a good selection of them along with installation videos. I put one on my F250 and use the front hitch to put my boat back in the garage.
​​​​​
The front hitch won't be doable on my SUV, but the idea is fantastic! I saw this online a few weeks ago. Front hitch on a quad also very cool.
Must be a cinch pushing that trailer in garage!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I had a harbor freight trailer dolly and the tires are solid and wanted to roll off the wheels in the summer when it was warm. Bought a better quality one from Northern Tools and that worked fine. I have en enclosed trailer now so neither are an option any longer.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:16 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I have one of the motorized parkit360 units. It works quite well. I can move my 2300 pound Aerovault with a 3600 pound car inside with no problem. One of the things I like about it is that I can park my trailer 'nose in' against my tree line allowing access to the loading bay in winter months. You can precision park a trailer with it. You should talk to the manufacturer if you decide to buy one to make sure that the "small incline" is within acceptable limits. I did not get mine with the electric brake switch hookup and wish that I had.
GAHHH!! Wish I'd known about this....I wasted 4 (ok I'll be honest 5 and 1/2 ) hours trying to back it into a storage unit...I was totally wiped out and needed a drink and a nap.
Disastrous endeavor resulting in a 12 hour drive home the next day. And all sorts of fall-out ensued. I'll ask for this at Xmas. Any video demo or link?

Last edited by Dr911; 10-31-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
GAHHH!! Wish I'd known about this....I wasted 4 (ok I'll be honest 5 and 1/2 ) hours trying to back it into a storage unit...I was totally wiped out and needed a drink and a nap.
Disastrous endeavor resulting in a 12 hour drive home the next day. And all sorts of fall-out ensued. I'll ask for this at Xmas. Any video demo or link?
I've never videoed myself doing it (OMG that sounds wrong), but the parkit360 website used to have links to their YouTube channel. It's a fairly heavy unit but I have transported it in my trailer to go somewhere where backing in/ turning trailer around wouldn't be possible otherwise.
A nice xmas treat for sure.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

John Deere F725 (mower) w/hitch, but parking it just right takes multiple back and forth.

Then I got 4 wheel lift dollies. Now mower is used to get "it there", leave connected to mower for next step (so not to roll away on slope), then fit 4 wheels and push it in nice and snug in spot in driveway to max clearance for winter storage.

Would work well for indoor storage too (like a car).

Multipurpose use of dollies.

Parkit 360 is a neat one purpose tool, but hard to rationalize for just home use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer dolly experience?