Notices

6 ton tie-downs to the rescue.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How did my 6 ton ratchet tie downs save me?

Last weekend, I was instructing and felt unwell because it was a very high HP car and a very hilly track. Although my student decided to skip his last session, it took a long time for my tummy to settle down.

In the meantime, I decided to load my trailer. During this process, I encountered an uncomfortable situation and wanted to get out of there ASAP.

Sadly, it wasn't until later that I discovered I had overlooked attaching the rear tiedowns. Anyway that's a whole 'nother story.

The point is: when I did discover the situation, the nose/splitter/front spoiler of my car was jammed tight into the winch stand at the front of my trailer, and the front wheels of race car had rolled over the front shocks of my Trailex.

Driving the car backward, didn't work because the nose of the car was jammed so tightly on the winch stand. It only made the car lurch sideways in a sickening way.

Hesitant to tow such an unbalanced affair 8 hours, I wanted to reposition the car.

But I didn't know how to disengage the jammed news of the car off the trailer winch stand. Following the path of least resistance, I hooked up the tie-downs and began ratcheting her down. THEN I realized the ratchets were actually easing the nose off the winch stand!

So I kept at it, until the nose was clear, and then was able to reverse the car over the chocks into a relatively normal position.

Posting this here to encourage the use of 6 ton tie downs that I didn't think we're really necessary (but which I'd purchased in the advice of a friend).

So many lessons learned. Most pertinent here: the heroic role of my 6 ton tie downs.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:10 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I've used my tie downs to move the car as well. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm so worried about forgetting something I usually check the trailer 3-4 times.

I got to experience the joy of a trailer flat last weekend at 4AM on Saturday . Wondered why in the hell am I doing this. Answer was a 8:45AM making my first laps at COTA in over a year.

-Mike
Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXE36
I've used my tie downs to move the car as well. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm so worried about forgetting something I usually check the trailer 3-4 times. I got to experience the joy of a trailer flat last weekend at 4AM on Saturday . Wondered why in the hell am I doing this. Answer was a 8:45AM making my first laps at COTA in over a year. -Mike
Glad I'm not alone. Talk about timing, though... Just glad it wast raining....

Agreed! the first lap is when I begin to feel the magic of the "minimum therapeutic dose" as they say in my day job ❤️

But the trips home stink in general,
in my experience
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

I've learned from RVing that you have to have a final clean walk-around before you start moving. Meaning that if you find one thing wrong, you do the walk around again. Check every storage door lock, every tow connection, that awnings are in, hoses and cables disconnected and stowed.

Until the walk around is 100%, don't move. Because sometimes the process of fixing the thing that wasn't right causes you to skip ahead in the process because you're off pattern.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, repetition is the key to safety. Walk around and walk around again. Start up & tow 6 inches, turn on lights / flashers, walk around one more time...

Ratchet tie downs are come-alongs just with less leverage ;-) Breaker bar (+ extension pipe) on lugnut is also a good slow motivator.

Belts & Suspenders & Velcro & Duct tape...

There was another recent thread about having conversations (i.e. Distractions) while loading, distractions (human or biological) erode the foundation of safety. Be safe, have fun, learn
Old 09-13-2016, 05:47 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I like to top off the fuel on the truck as soon as I can from leaving the track. I hit the brakes hard a couple of times to "set" the load so to speak and then while fueling, double check everything.

knock on wood, I have never had anything come loose. I have towed from coast to coast and had great luck. Only one trailer flat in 5 years and it was 2 miles from the house.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make the most mistakes when it's dark or getting dark. On Sunday, after unloading the trailer using my winch and jump box, and putting the car away, it was dark. I then drove the truck over the jump box.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Really good advice here. Thx Bros!

Kevin Haha! Thanks! Btw: the distraction was less my gut and more the noisy paddock company.

Thats good point in restarting the walk around if things aren't 100% I've never done that but it makes sense.

I'm thinking a written checklist is probably a REALLY good idea; on normal days may not be necessary but on such hairy-scary days could be critical.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 ton tie-downs to the rescue.