Notices

Trailer brake settings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:38 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trailer brake settings?

Anybody know a good resource for guidelines on how to determine this?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:22 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Maybe you can find something here.

Etrailer
Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I assume you are talking about electric brakes. The inertial controller (Drawtite Prodigy clone) I have has a variable **** and four "levels" b, b0, b1 and b2.

Setting it up is pretty simple. I adjust the variable **** on level b with the trailer unloaded. Given it's an open aluminum, it doesn't take much to lock up the trailer tires. I adjust it to below lockup even on a fairly firm stop. That set, with the trailer loaded, I up the level until I can feel the trailer tugging on the hitch during a firm stop, which is level b2. It didn't take much adjusting to get it right and I haven't touched it in a while, I just flip it between b and b2 depending on if the trailer is loaded.

The result is in normal towing, the tow vehicle brakes just about the same as it does without the trailer. When I need to get it whoa-ed up quick, the thing stops.

-Mike
Old 08-13-2016, 10:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Here is something from my experience - it can be annoying in stop and go traffic for the trailer to start pulling on your tow vehicle every time you have to stop. Accordingly, you may be tempted to lower the setting on your brake controller so that it brakes less. Resist this urge.

I did this, and then when I got out of traffic going full speed, only to have to stop short again, I almost drove through a brand new Chevy Camaro because the trailer barely had any brakes dialed in.

Bottom line, keep your brakes on as tight as possible without locking up your rear wheels or feeling like it is really pulling the tow vehicle every time you tap the brakes. More brakes is better than less brakes.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I assume you are talking about electric brakes. The inertial controller (Drawtite Prodigy clone) I have has a variable **** and four "levels" b, b0, b1 and b2.

Setting it up is pretty simple. I adjust the variable **** on level b with the trailer unloaded. Given it's an open aluminum, it doesn't take much to lock up the trailer tires. I adjust it to below lockup even on a fairly firm stop. That set, with the trailer loaded, I up the level until I can feel the trailer tugging on the hitch during a firm stop, which is level b2. It didn't take much adjusting to get it right and I haven't touched it in a while, I just flip it between b and b2 depending on if the trailer is loaded.

The result is in normal towing, the tow vehicle brakes just about the same as it does without the trailer. When I need to get it whoa-ed up quick, the thing stops.

-Mike
This is pretty much verbatim how I instruct people to set them up.

- Matt @ TOEC
Old 08-15-2016, 12:39 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

I set mine so that I can bring it to a stop from about 20 mph using just the trailer brakes.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I change the setting when switching from "low speed" local and town setting, When I hit the Interstate, I turn up the setting.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

^^ +1. If I ran the same setting with the car unloaded as I do with the car loaded. I'd be out of tires after 4 traffic lights as they lock very easy with no load on the (open alum) trailer.

Quick Reply: Trailer brake settings?