Notices

Rental advice: Towing my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:07 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Rental advice: Towing my GT3

Hey guys I am planning a trip from Colorado to California next month, and want to have my GT3 there for some drives along the coast, and have some fun along side my dad's Z06. I have an LX470 SUV rated at 5,000 lbs towing capacity, but I am thinking I should just rent a truck and trailer, and avoid the wear and tear. I would also be close to the towing limit, so not a fan of that.

Any thoughts on who rents a suitable trailer for the job?

Thanks guys.

Rob
Old 08-08-2016, 11:23 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hey guys I am planning a trip from Colorado to California next month, and want to have my GT3 there for some drives along the coast, and have some fun along side my dad's Z06. I have an LX470 SUV rated at 5,000 lbs towing capacity, but I am thinking I should just rent a truck and trailer, and avoid the wear and tear. I would also be close to the towing limit, so not a fan of that.

Any thoughts on who rents a suitable trailer for the job?

Thanks guys.

Rob
I don't think there is a rental trailer that will be light enough for your LX470 to tow with a GT3 on it. I think they (uhaul, etc) trailers are steel and those usually weigh in at 1700-2000# depending on length. Add in the hills that are involved in that drive and yeesh.

You might be better off finding a shipping company, might be cheaper in the long run and potentially simpler.

Or see if you can borrow/rent a trailex from somebody as that at least gives you a chance.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On the truck side, you can rent a Dodge Ram Diesel from Enterprise at some darn good rates. They are pretty negotiable. We rented at times and even a dually was $85 a day / no mileage and do 5 days and 2 days were free.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I don't think there is a rental trailer that will be light enough for your LX470 to tow with a GT3 on it. I think they (uhaul, etc) trailers are steel and those usually weigh in at 1700-2000# depending on length. Add in the hills that are involved in that drive and yeesh.

You might be better off finding a shipping company, might be cheaper in the long run and potentially simpler.

Or see if you can borrow/rent a trailex from somebody as that at least gives you a chance.
Thanks DT. I definitely don't want to be anywhere near the tow capacity, given where I am driving through, and what I am towing. So most likely I will rent a tow vehicle as well.

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
On the truck side, you can rent a Dodge Ram Diesel from Enterprise at some darn good rates. They are pretty negotiable. We rented at times and even a dually was $85 a day / no mileage and do 5 days and 2 days were free.
Hi Viper. Thanks. Yeah, I was looking at those last night. I believe there was an additional cost if you were towing with them, but I need to check. In any case, that would be a lot better than using my LX.

BTW, other than taking my GT3 down to Uhaul and testing it, do you guys know of any trailers that would work with a GT3? Ripping the front off isn't part of my itinerary!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help!
Old 08-08-2016, 01:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Okay guys, looking into shipping the car. Seems to be about the same cost, minus the hassle and time wasted. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you have a plan in place, but in case you decide to tow: the front lip spoiler on the GT3 is crazy low, so you'll need ramps/boards to load it on the trailer, or you can pull the lip spoiler off for the tow and reinstall after you unload it.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drew_K
It sounds like you have a plan in place, but in case you decide to tow: the front lip spoiler on the GT3 is crazy low, so you'll need ramps/boards to load it on the trailer, or you can pull the lip spoiler off for the tow and reinstall after you unload it.
Thanks Drew! I may do that.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:27 AM
Snowglobe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have advice on towing, especially all the way from CO to CA, but your LX can legally tow 6500 lbs if you get an under-frame hitch. The 2006 LX 470 which came from the factory that way, but the hitch is also available for older models.

The GT3 weighs around 3100 lbs. An Aluminum open trailer like a Trailex weighs less than 1000 lbs, but costs more than $6000 new. A 7k lb capacity steel trailer should weigh less than 2000 lbs and cost less than $2500 new, but you might prefer to spend on Aluminum so as to 1) lower the weight in general and 2) be able to use your current tow hitch with plenty of legal margin.

If you're willing to spend another $2500 to make towing as carefree as possible, you could also buy an anti-sway device like the ProPride 3P. Some people tow Airstream trailers with an LX 470 and a ProPride 3P. Also, I'm not certain but your existing hitch might have a legally higher rating, eg 6000 lbs, if you use a weight distribution hitch.

I have no experience towing but I've been looking into this myself, coincidentally from CA to CO.

Quick Reply: Rental advice: Towing my GT3