Notices

Stacker trailers and CDLs. How to deal with it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I realize this is an old thread.

This CDL thing is EXTREMELY confusing. The more people I talk with the more confused I am. I am moving to a dually/44' GN trailer which going by GVWR is over 26k pounds thus requiring a class A CDL. Or does it? I know so many people that tow similar rigs that do NOT have CDLs.

I've looked into getting a CDL and it is time intensive although there is a weekend program (8 weeks) near where I live. I just have a hard time believing that I need to learn about things like air brakes to drag a trailer which is 22' longer than what I do now. It seems ridiculous to me.

What I've heard the most is 'just don't get pulled over.' And some people recommend placing "Not For Hire" decals. Frankly, I almost always just tow at or a little above the speed limit. I think I've had one traffic ticket in ten years.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not a lawyer. I've had many of the same question. We're towing with a class8 tractor that is titled/registered as an RV. In our state, the RV does not have weight restrictions and can be driven with a normal license, so that was one of the reasons we went that way.

Ultimately you need to understand what's required in your state based on weight and so on.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your assembly (truck and trailer combined) is over 26k, then you need a CDL combination license. But, that is actual weight. If you have a dually and trailer and the combined weight is 22k lbs, then you are fine it is only after the actual weight is over the magic number.

Thanks

Ed
Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911racer
If your assembly (truck and trailer combined) is over 26k, then you need a CDL combination license. But, that is actual weight. If you have a dually and trailer and the combined weight is 22k lbs, then you are fine it is only after the actual weight is over the magic number.

Thanks

Ed
Now this is where I am hearing differences in opinion. In MA, it seems that it's the GVWR which can't be over 26k pounds. A dually truck is around 13k and the trailer is around 18k GVWR.
The actual weights for me would be about 8500 truck, 8000 trailer, 5000 cars and tools max. This is under 26k.

It's not clear to me. It just seems ridiculous to require a CDL.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Now this is where I am hearing differences in opinion. In MA, it seems that it's the GVWR which can't be over 26k pounds. A dually truck is around 13k and the trailer is around 18k GVWR.
The actual weights for me would be about 8500 truck, 8000 trailer, 5000 cars and tools max. This is under 26k.

It's not clear to me. It just seems ridiculous to require a CDL.
You probably don't need a Commercial Drivers License. You probably need a different class of noncommercial license. In PA gvwr over 26k requires class B. Towing over 10,000 requires class A.

Requirements to get a noncommercial class A or B are much easier than a CDL.

Mass appears very similar:http://www.massrmv.com/LicenseandID.aspx
Old 03-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
You probably don't need a Commercial Drivers License. You probably need a different class of noncommercial license. In PA gvwr over 26k requires class B. Towing over 10,000 requires class A.

Requirements to get a noncommercial class A or B are much easier than a CDL.

Mass appears very similar:http://www.massrmv.com/LicenseandID.aspx
Thank you for that link. I've looked all over the Mass RMV site and can't find anything about how one would upgrade from a D to a non-commercial class A. I think I will need to make a phone call. It would be nice if I could do that.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:04 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

We're in MA as well.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thank you for that link. I've looked all over the Mass RMV site and can't find anything about how one would upgrade from a D to a non-commercial class A. I think I will need to make a phone call. It would be nice if I could do that.
I stumbled into the PA process when I went to get my new picture taken. I asked the person at the counter and they actually knew. They sold me a class B permit (I need it for my RV) on the spot and set me up for the road test. I'd recommend stopping by wherever you would take your 16 year old to get their permit, it seems like the same folks handle the different classes of noncommercial licenses.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's what I am hanging my hat on in Ohio. Taken from the Ohio BMV website. My rig is registered as an RV. Therefore, exempt from CDL requirements. Weight etc, is irrelevant.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:54 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

^^^^ that's fantastic. I wish PA would let us do that.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:39 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
^^^^ that's fantastic. I wish PA would let us do that.
In researching for my next truck and trailer, I've been reading up on this a lot too. I found something the RV people put together that defines the laws in each state. Not endorsing this site, there are several like it around:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Reading and researching the issue, most states exempt RV's, though some don't. Probably why you don't hear of all the people towing big 5th wheel campers having a CDL.

To me, the key would be to get your home state to register your trailer as an RV. This simplifies many of the various states regulations, as you'd be exempt. Then you would need to see if you were towing in places like CA, PA, or TX that don't exempt RV's, and figure what to do to cover those places.

Lastly, I read reports where in some states like CA, they were starting to use GVWR, or GCWR, or trailer gross weight capability to judge your load. Not the actual weight of the vehicle. Weather or not to believe this, who knows?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:32 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've traveled throughout the west with my setup and haven't had any issue, but knowing California it's likely they will stop me so I keep my speed down and just mind my own business.... I should just get my medical card renewed since that is all I need to get my CDL back up to snuff. Its pretty tough to get EVERY law in every state with only ONE drivers license. Most rules around CDL's have to do with an air brake system. The coach is set up with one, but most all RV trailers are electric which negates the air brake issue. Sometimes you just have to do your best and plead ignorance?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer

Thanks

Ed
Shortly after moving from PA to SC I started hearing horror stories about pick up trucks pulling trailers getting cited for NO CDL and no DOT number.
The truck sits until a CDL driver shows up to drive it and fines can be as much as $1200. Being a retired logistics exec I knew what the law had been but found it changed about the time Obamacare went thru. If your state has adopted the federal MOtor Carrier Safety Reg (and most all have)..the law states if you are pulling a trailer with a GVW in excess of 10,000# commercially you must have a DOT number and CDL. The key word here is commercially. If you are not pulling the trailer to make money you do not need to have a DOT number or a CDL.
I went for several years pulling our 53' trailer with our dually with my fingers crossed and not going into the scales. I got by with it but started hearing guys being cited left and right so I got the CDL and DOT number about 2 years ago.
The vehicle registered as a RV seems to work everywhere to evade the regulations. I was at Barber over the weekend and saw a tractor from Florida
with Registered as a RV in Florida on the cab.
Some advise.....1. don't ever go across the scales...this is where all the questions start. 2.But do go into the Agricultural checks in Florida or they may chase you and this leads to numerous problems.3. Always be prepared to prove that all the stuff on the trailer is yours and you are not hauling the cars to make money. 4. Don't mark the outside of the trailer up like a circus wagon with logos and business names....this leads the cops to think you are a business.
AS I sit in the Daytona holding area for the PCA Club Race every year I marvel at the number of arrive and drive rigs with no DOT number.... These are the guys who better be worrying cause they will get caught and when it happens it will not be pretty.
Trust me at age 69 the last thing I wanted to do was get the CDL and DOT number. What I found was there is no CDL school to go to for a pickup truck.
I had to learn what I needed on my own which was interesting. My thanks to Bob Woodman who let me use his shorter 36' trailer to take the test and practice at their DMV in BEaufort, SC. The hardest part of the test is what they call an alley Dock 90 degree parking maneuver into what amounts to be a parking space. If at any point any part of the trailer goes over the lines....you fail Think you are allowed 3 pull ups. Then they have a wood abutment behind the parking space which they pretend is a dock....if you touch the "dock" you fail. This Sounds easy but it isn't. If you get thru all the parking lot maneuvers then you go on the road test which is a piece of cake.
If anyone is seriously thinking about getting their CDL for a pickup I can tell you what is necessary.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 05-02-2017, 02:52 PM
phast930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Florida a standard issued license is a Class E license and on the back it states "Class: E - Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. or any RV". I have not had issues utilizing the following:

3500 Ram - GVWR 14,000
28' Aluminum Trailer - GVWR 10,500

Now with my new trailer I have issues, I have talked to the DMV and FDOT, I will indeed require a Commercial CDL Class A (as there is no non-commercial CDL in Florida) because I will have the following:

3500 Ram - GVWR 14,000
34' Montrose - GVWR 15,600

Obviously your mileage may vary with this information, and I have NEVER stopped at the Florida Ag station and I cross the state line at least 4 - 6x a year.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I think it's a certainty that you are supposed to have a CDL with GCWR>26001 pounds. It is a ludicrous law. I've looked into getting a CDL and there is a ton of stuff to learn and perform that simply does not pertain to weekend warriors towing race cars. There are no easy methods of obtaining a CDL for non-commercial people such as ourselves.

The RV clause is simply a ludicrous loophole.

I know that when I'm at the track there are many rigs rated over 26001 and the drivers do not have CDLs. I also do not know anyone who has ever been parked by the law without a CDL although these stories are on the net.

I would say that if you're driving your rigs like an A-hole and get pulled over, a cop might decide to have a field day with you without a CDL. Keep your nose clean. As Clark said, don't make your rig look like a professional race outfit or something 'commercial.' Me, I bought "not for hire" decals. Maybe it's just to make me feel better.

With all that said, I'll probably pursue a CDL later this year. Maybe.

Quick Reply: Stacker trailers and CDLs. How to deal with it.