Notices

Trailer Generators

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Trailer Generators

What are you guys using? Is Cummins Onan pretty much it? What size/rating and what are you running off of it - AC, lights, etc? How loud - can you hear it over the AC?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm running a Honda EU3000. It will power my ac, lights, and compressor for an entire track day on ~5gals of gas. With the ac on, it will sometimes trip a breaker when the compressor kicks on. Not a big deal, but I often put air in the tires in the morning and then shut off the compressor. Then I turn off the air for a few mins if I need the compressor to pressurize. Without the AC, I can almost get two days out of one tank of gas. It's really quiet. Some folks choose to run two EU2000's.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Some folks choose to run two EU2000's.
That would be me. GenTran parallel setup gives me right at 3800 watts. Need to install an A/C in the newer trailer so I can insure I can run the A/C AND the compressor at the same time.

I have an outboard motor tank supplying each generator and can go for almost two weekends on those 4 gallon tanks (without A/C for now).
Old 07-31-2016, 11:00 PM
Philip944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm running a Honda EU3000. It will power my ac, lights, and compressor for an entire track day on ~5gals of gas. With the ac on, it will sometimes trip a breaker when the compressor kicks on. Not a big deal, but I often put air in the tires in the morning and then shut off the compressor. Then I turn off the air for a few mins if I need the compressor to pressurize. Without the AC, I can almost get two days out of one tank of gas. It's really quiet. Some folks choose to run two EU2000's.
Same on the EU3000

I run AC, lights and 40in TV/DVD combo with no problems. Super quiet and great on fuel. Get a wheel kit if u don't have a genny cubby. It's a bit heavy.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a Kawasaki 1.2 KW genset that allows me to run lights, charge track stuff (camera, gps, phone, etc.) and most importantly ... Make a pot of coffee. I run my ac when 110v is available, otherwise I sweat a lot. I'm not a fan of noisey gensets at the track and my little Kawasaki is very quiet.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:42 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks guys.

Phillip - nice setup with the couch and table.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Philip944
Instructor

Originally Posted by certz
Thanks guys. Phillip - nice setup with the couch and table.
Thanks. I can't take a whole lot of credit for it. Bought it pretty much setup the way it is. Couch, table, TV is perfect for the family at the track....and for watching Top Gear btwn sessions if the family doesn't come along!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip944
Thanks. I can't take a whole lot of credit for it. Bought it pretty much setup the way it is. Couch, table, TV is perfect for the family at the track....and for watching Top Gear btwn sessions if the family doesn't come along!
Where do you stow that when the car is inside?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought the Honda 7000eu (2 ac units) and it is AWESOME.... So quiet. So easy on gas.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Philip944
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlanka
Where do you stow that when the car is inside?
It all folds up and fastens to the wall. The table folds up and is stored btwn the couch and the wall. They all fold up to ~6in thickness from the wall.

Check out this link for some ideas (scroll down if on mobile device):

http://www.rbcomponents.com/componen...ture/furniture

Here's another link:

http://www.blazinbelltech.com Great quality. Well built.

Last edited by Philip944; 08-01-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip944
It all folds up and fastens to the wall. The table folds up and is stored btwn the couch and the wall. They all fold up to ~6in thickness from the wall.

Check out this link for some ideas (scroll down if on mobile device):

http://www.rbcomponents.com/componen...ture/furniture

Here's another link:

http://www.blazinbelltech.com Great quality. Well built.
Very cool, thanks for the link
Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

We're not doing a lot of built-in gensets (Cummins Onan) on smaller trailers these days -- the big LQ and gooseneck/stacker rigs are the only ones buying them.

Most of our customers opt for a pair of Honda/Yamaha 2000s that can be twinned, or a single 3500-4000. You'll need at least 3kW to run a roof air and anything else. We've tried on the 2000s and couldn't get them to start the compressor without tripping the overload.

Storage is usually accomplished by either a tongue-mount box or an in-cabinet generator box with slide-out tray. All depends on how much you want to spend vs. how much convenience you want.

- Matt
Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Honda 3000 EU, and although it will run an AC, light and compressor all at once, if I try to kick on the heater all alone it trips and will not run the roof mounted AC/Heater unit.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:11 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 24' enclosed ATC and currently use a 3200W generator that I just put in the trailer between the cabinets and the front of the car. Looking for a cleaner storage idea so I am not constantly moving it around to get in the cabinets. Thought about a box on the tongue frame, but the ATC doesn't have a whole lot of room up there. Wish I had a sliding gen cabinet. How hard is that to retrofit? Other ideas?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by linzman
I have a 24' enclosed ATC and currently use a 3200W generator that I just put in the trailer between the cabinets and the front of the car. Looking for a cleaner storage idea so I am not constantly moving it around to get in the cabinets. Thought about a box on the tongue frame, but the ATC doesn't have a whole lot of room up there. Wish I had a sliding gen cabinet. How hard is that to retrofit? Other ideas?
If you don't mind taking the trailer over to Geno @ ATC's service department in Nappannee, they can retrofit whatever you'd like as far as cabinetry goes. Common configuration is the L-base cabinet with exterior access door. Give him a call if you need a quote, his number is 574-773-8370.

I have also done tongue-mount boxes on the standard-length tongue Quest trailers with no clearance issues before -- they are available both through ATC's shop and online.

- Matt

Quick Reply: Trailer Generators