Notices

Warning sign of pending trailer tire blow out = sway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning sign of pending trailer tire blow out = sway

I was towing on the highway yesterday (F250, 24' Haulmark) and I noticed the trailer starting to sway/wag. I was puzzled. look around. not on a bridge. not near any trucks. no one passing me. I was pretty confused. I've got the equalizer hitch and the trailer is usually rock steady. about 15 seconds later, boom. trailer tire blew out (ripped radially from rim across thread and the tread delaminated about two thirds the way around).

I was talking to my tire guy and evidently the sway is the symptom of the belts starting to delaminate.

just thought I'd share - if you start feeling sway for no apparent reason, start looking for your pull off spot.

BTW - I was happy that the trailer was very manageable with the flat. made some noise, put some battle wounds on the white exterior, but never felt out of control.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

What brand/size/load range tire and pressure were you running?

- Matt
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

goodyear marathon 235/80/16 80 psi 7500# trailer/car combo.

sorry if I repeat, can't remember what's in this thread versus the other one I started the same day. the tire that went was date coded 2013. I've got one other 2013 which I will replace immediately. others are 2014 and 15. I'll do those in the spring.

Quick Reply: Warning sign of pending trailer tire blow out = sway