Notices

My Trailer Diary

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ptom914
I'm loading the car nose first with the car much more forward than your drawing. The center of gravity for my 993 is just forward of the rear jack point, and that's close to the center of my dual rear axle. It'll be easy to adjust the tongue weight by moving the car a foot forward or backward.

I went with the Pro Pride hitch, a Hesley variant. It's more difficult to hitch, but it's so easy to back up. It essentially pivots on the rear axle, so it like a fifth wheel.
I got a recommendation from another fellow track rat for the Pro Ride. It's crazy $$$, however. If the Reese is half as good, I'll be thrilled.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, shouldn't your E-track shoring beams, supporting the tires, be at the same level as the E-track? Pit Pal and Pit Products (less $$) make nice folding tire racks that can be used on a wall.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

I signed the papers this morning for the final configuration so the shop can begin construction.

Here are the details:

Trailer
Manufacturer: TPD
Model: #CV8524T 24' enclosed
Construction: Perimeter steel box frame, all-composite seamless panels, beaver tail
Roof: walk-on all-composite seamless panel
Suspension: Rubber torsion axles
Axles: Dual 5200# axles
Interior box dimensions: 23'-9" length, 97.5" width, 7' height, 85" between fenders
GVWR: 9990#
Trailer: 4050#
Payload: 5940#
Door: Curb side 36" w/lock
Ramp Door: All-composite seamless panel, spring assisted
Running lights: LED

Upgrades
5' Z-tongue
Stone Guard Package (aluminum tread plate on lower front & top of ramp door)
3.5k heavy duty electric tongue jack, lighted
Scorpion spray-on berliner flooring (ramp door & floor)
15" aluminum wheels (including spare)
Spare tire
Spare tire wall mount bracket
Ladder (to access roof)
6k# D-ring w/backing plates
E-track, wall mounted, 57.2'
E-track singles, wall mounted, 14ea
L-shaped workbench (for portable generator)
Shelf in workbench cabinet
Generator door & sliding rack
Wall cabinets, 16', 8 doors
Wall cabinet dividers, 3ea
A/C lighting package (2 int. fluorescent lights, 2 quartz ext. lights, 2 A/C outlets, breaker box, shore power plug)
Extra A/C outlets, 5ea
Extra 4' fluorescent light
Breaker box, heavy duty, 100amp
Air Conditioner, 13,5k BTU, w/heat pump
Electric winch, 4k#, synthetic rope, w/remote
Air cylinder wall mount bracket, 2ea
Awning, 20'

Customer Add-ons
Generator, 3k watt
Tool box, 6 drawer, 29" wide
Aluminium gas cylinder, 150 cu.ft. (fill w/nitrogen)
Regulator, high pressure, w/gauges
Hose reel, 50' x 3/8" rubber hose
Sway control & weight distribution hitch
Door cabinet, 24"
Strap hanger, 16", 2ea
Extension ramp, 7'
Stair step, 24" (for curb side door)
Tie-down ratchet straps, 6', 4ea
Cart, 2 shelf
Fuel jugs, 5 gal, 5ea
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by aj986s
FWIW, shouldn't your E-track shoring beams, supporting the tires, be at the same level as the E-track? Pit Pal and Pit Products (less $$) make nice folding tire racks that can be used on a wall.
Good eye! Yes, of course. It's very difficult to make out, because the parts are so small, but there is E-track there. I found that Snap-Loc and Erickson both make E-track "singles". I'm having mine welded to the studs. There is a 3rd single that will allow me to attach a ratchet strap across the top of the tires to secure them.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by aj986s
Pit Pal and Pit Products (less $$) make nice folding tire racks that can be used on a wall.
Storage for 2 set of extra tires was probably the biggest issue I had to contend with. My original goal was to have a "mobile garage". I thought I could keep everything inside the trailer. Heading out for a race weekend would be as simple as hitching up, gassing up and driving off.

However, as you may have noted in the section I wrote regarding storage, that idea just didn't work in the real world. My original layout had a fixed wall mounted tire rack, big enough for 2 sets. However, every owner of that config, every single one, told me not to do it. They stick out too far from the wall, you hit your head on them, you can't access the tires with the car in the trailer, etc., etc.

Then I saw a photo of the shoring beams used in another trailer (just as I have done). It seems like a great idea, but... there are issues with having the tires in the trailer.

My next idea was to buy a 2 shelf tire cart. However, strapping that size of cart down to a wall inside my 24' trailer wasn't viable.

Next up on the list was simply stacking them on the floor, in front of the workbench. This is probably what I'll end up doing - if the tires are inside the trailer at all. A variant on this theme is to stack them on a small cart. Rubbermaid makes the one I bought. Then I found an even cooler one from Snap-Loc. It's much more heavy-duty and it has those E-track singles already attached for easy strapping. The best part, the Snap-Loc cart isn't much more $$$ than the Rubbermaid cart.

Honestly, the tires will likely end up in the bed of the truck. I'll have to mount new tires before a race weekend. The trailer is indoors and I don't have (easy) access to it. So, I'll actually be storing the race wheels at home. They will get loaded up in the truck for the weekend, to go pickup the trailer, so why bother moving them from the bed to inside the trailer? The same thing plays out at the end of the weekend. I won't want to leave them in the trailer, since they will get locked inside when the trailer is stored. I'll need quick & easy access to them in order to schlep them to the tire shop for new shoes.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent posts! Very informative for me as I'm currently looking for a used TPD 20' (I know, I should really go bigger!). Questions for you a) are you in SF (I'm thinking so) and b) if you are in SF, where did you decide to store it? I just spent the morning calling a bunch of different places for quotes. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Cool looking plans. Thanks for sharing. When you get ready to sell in a year or two for the "next trailer" let me know. May be ready for enclosed by then. Really looks awesome.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Is his name "Mooty"?
perhaps.
the only car i regret selling ever is the gmc.... ugh.
seller remorse already.

Let me help you lar,
Your 24’ is already too small and wimps drive 2500.
You really should just get it right. 48’ with 3500 dually or F450.
In fact, I am selling my 44’ prior to taking delivery. It’s ALREADY too small.
My 53’ double decker with peterbilt will be delivered to me right after I order and sell my 48’.

Lars dwg is not quite accurate. CAD SUX. I know I was an architect. Fk autocad. Or any cad, real artiest use pencils. I digress. The trailer tires are actually farther back. I know no fewer than 20 tpd owners from 20-24’, both dual and triple trailer. ALL of them put the a** at the back, zero issue, no sway, correct tongue wt. I had a 24’ triple, I don’t bother marking where I park the car. Literally anywhere in the trailer, I have no issues towing with my little 2500 duramax.

Last edited by mooty; 01-25-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good!! can't wait to see it all finished up!

mooty is right, once u hook up, load everything, you'll be towing at 80mph in no time.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 AM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
perhaps.
the only car i regret selling ever is the gmc.... ugh.
seller remorse already.

Let me help you lar,
Your 24’ is already too small and wimps drive 2500.
You really should just get it right. 48’ with 3500 dually or F450.
In fact, I am selling my 44’ prior to taking delivery. It’s ALREADY too small.
My 53’ double decker with peterbilt will be delivered to me right after I order and sell my 48’.

Lars dwg is not quite accurate. CAD SUX. I know I was an architect. Fk autocad. Or any cad, real artiest use pencils. I digress. The trailer tires are actually farther back. I know no fewer than 20 tpd owners from 20-24’, both dual and triple trailer. ALL of them put the a** at the back, zero issue, no sway, correct tongue wt. I had a 24’ triple, I don’t bother marking where I park the car. Literally anywhere in the trailer, I have no issues towing with my little 2500 duramax.
top level is for cars, bottom is fully decked out kitchen. no plastic utensils and flimsy paper plates at our events!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Atta boy! Just keep raisin' that bar.

It seems just as soon as I get there... you just go and raise it up again!

LOL
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Man - where were you when I was designing the Jackpoint jack stand. I'm really coveting your cad program and skills. Computer modeling, FEA's, etc. - I got it all done, but not every guy with your skills is also into cars. Some just didn't get it. BTW - if you stack the 4 Jackpoint Jackstands they will take up a total space of only 12"x16"x21.5" (height). Total weight for 4 w/low profile pads - 72 lbs. Just a thought.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Unless you dont go further than a few hours drive eventually you will end up with this:

Gooseneck
44'
7' tall
-Airline track in the floor for D rings anywhere.
-Etrack in the walls everywhere so you can place anything anywhere.
-No need to pre configure anything, just put stuff where you want it.
-Pre wire at leat for A/C and Generator and 11V outlets everywhere.
-Lots of turn signal lights so at least others' get a fair warning..
-Extruded alu floor.
-Extra alu posts in the wall and floor and upgrade to thicker alu skin inside and out.
-G rated stacker tires triple axle, some 2 axle trailers will do, in any case place axles as close together as you can.
-Pointy nose with bubble for speed / MPG

Truck; Dually.
-Extra diesel tank for minimum 1000 mile radius.
-TPS on truck (OEM now on 2013) and aftermarket on trailer.
-Air compressor under the truck for tires and leveling off truck with aftermarket airbags under rear axle. It can also feed a Wake the dead train horn for moving Priuses out of the left lane.
-Mine is oem, but a tune and all emission crap removal voids warranty but puts a nice black smoke screen down to annoy said Prius. You live in California, so I guess you have a Prius..

Driving:
Take cones and big parking lot and practice backing in with blind spots etc. never rush parking, get out of truck and go look also when there are 100 cars blowing horn at you. Use all asphalt, also into oncoming traffic. They will move. If they dont you can always stop, block as many cars as you can untill someone figures out they need to back up.

Now you can visit tracks anywhere in the country, share a trailer with someone to pay for diesel. See it pays for itself.

Skip the multi trailer process :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's obvious that size matters even outside of Texas. Regardless of size a couple of thoughts that you might want to consider.

We used a waterproof exterior outlet cover inside and outside the trailer wall to create a pass through for hoses so you don't have to leave the rear or side door open.

If you are using 110 fluorescent lights then use long HVAC. Style tywraps around the lens and over the metal backing to make a safety so the lens cannot fall onto your car during transport.

The s6000 super winch product is great and the lightweight line is so much better than the steel wire. I was skeptical but we have run it for a hundred in and out cycles with no wear. Better on hands and car.

There are some great tow hook mounting clips available from Rennline that have made securing the car so fast and easy as compared to running straps through the wheels, With the side benefit of not damaging the wheels.

Another idea is a high powered 12 volt spot light right at the rear inside shining down on the ramp and ground before the ramp to make loading at night easier.

Anyway just my .02 worth, and oh BTW our 48 foot is actually still to small.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Also depends on your uses.
For me it's a big cargo box, I only really sit in it when it rains.
A/c would be nice in the summer I suppose. It has been easier to sit in others' A/C.

I have a winch, but never used it, I just drive the cars in and out.
Lighting is important, I went with something like 30 12vlights so as long as I leave the truck running it is super bright inside and enough light flows out to light up the rear gate...

Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary