Notices

My Trailer Diary

Old 11-07-2016, 10:54 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

OK, how important is a driver side door on an enclosed trailer? I see tricked out, expensive trailers without one. Is it possible to get in/out of the car without one, or is winching the only alternative?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:17 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think it's vital, but nice to have.
Of course, depends on your size and flexibility.
Would have gotten one if I ordered a new trailer but don't miss not having one on the used trailer I bought.
Of course, I don't miss what I've never had.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:50 PM
hf1
Banned

So can you get in/out of the car?
Old 11-08-2016, 05:50 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I can. Door only opens a bit so there's a bit of gymnastics involved, but it's fine. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs
Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So can you get in/out of the car?
Umm, yes? 😀
I have a winch but it needs to be reworked. But I'd need to get in and out anyway (I don't have enough slope to the trailer to roll the car back, though that could be arranged).
I'm 5'10" 165. Not the most flexible guy around but fairly active.
Car is fully caged and has halo seats. Driver seat is on sliders and seat needs to be all the way back to get out.
If I were buying new I'd have a door, but I don't NEED a door.
Btw, I want to be able to exit the car without opening the door anyway for safety reasons. Of course that might be harder in the confines of a trailer than outdoors.
Hope this helps clarify
Old 11-08-2016, 09:47 AM
hf1
Banned

I'm assuming the door is banging against the wall as the entry/exit progresses?
Looking at enclosed trailers now and still puzzled why most of them don't have this feature. There are many loaded to the gills with options, yet missing a side escape door. Getting in/out of the car without struggle must not be high on people's list of priorities, I guess. Just wanted to check if I'm missing something with my thinking.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I'm assuming the door is banging against the wall as the entry/exit progresses?
Looking at enclosed trailers now and still puzzled why most of them don't have this feature. There are many loaded to the gills with options, yet missing a side escape door. Getting in/out of the car without struggle must not be high on people's list of priorities, I guess. Just wanted to check if I'm missing something with my thinking.
I am 6'8 and 280. I used to climb in and out of the car without an escape door because winching the car was a pain. Between dead batteries, etc there was always a problem with the winch. It was doable, getting out was easier than getting back in to take the car out of the trailer. My new to me trailer came "preframed" for an escape door, and I spent the money to have the local trailer place put one in. Best money spent on my trailer so far. It is SO SO much easier now. Bottom line, is it essential? No, but if given the option, i'd choose it every time.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:06 AM
hf1
Banned

Thx.

What's the downside of wood panels, other than looks? Can they be treated or painted? Why have interior panels at all if there's no a/c? Plus they add weight. Some nice aluminum trailers don't have them. Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2016, 01:54 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, but to the current topic, I just traded in my 24ft tag that had the escape door, it was nice but I had to build up ramps in my trailer to allow the car door to clear it. In my new 36ft gooseneck I didn't get the escape door this time, as I know I can get in and out with out it, just maybe a little harder.
Just waiting now until mid Jan. to when my new one is finished.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:53 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pmason
Great thread, but to the current topic, I just traded in my 24ft tag that had the escape door, it was nice but I had to build up ramps in my trailer to allow the car door to clear it. In my new 36ft gooseneck I didn't get the escape door this time, as I know I can get in and out with out it, just maybe a little harder.
Just waiting now until mid Jan. to when my new one is finished.
Raceramps makes a nice ramp that works great for this. I use the front trailer mates for that. Gets the car in the same spot every time too. The newer escape doors from ATC don't have clearance issues anymore.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/trai...trailer-mates/
Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

First off, this is a great thread!! I'm just glad I'm not the only other trailer nut out there.

I'm getting ready to spec out a new trailer...either an ATC or Intech, mainly due I can drive 2hrs to pick them up....and I'm stuck on tie downs for my car. I've always used d-rings, which are the old standby, but I'd like something a little more flexible. What's everyone's opinions on recessed e-track or recessed airline track?

I know there's another recent thread asking about e-track vs d-rings, but I'm not seeing what I like in there. If I get the recessed track installed from the factory I should be good to go either way, right?

What are your long time racers using?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the trailer I just ordered I priced out e-track in the floor it was pretty expensive but they also told me it didn't sit flush with the floor it was maybe a 1/4 lower. Maybe different mfgs do things differently. But between the both of those thinking crap would fall into tracks, if I'm rolling a tool box in etc that would keep falling into them I opted to just stick with d-rings, I may add a few more d-rings for other options like I did in my last trailer.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:51 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx.

What's the downside of wood panels, other than looks? Can they be treated or painted? Why have interior panels at all if there's no a/c? Plus they add weight. Some nice aluminum trailers don't have them. Thoughts?
Any feedback on interior panneling for aluminum enclosed trailers? Is it just for looks? Thermal insulation is useless unless the space is a/c-ed or heated, right? Plus it adds weight. Any cons against plywood?

IIRC, Featherlite and Trailex have no interior panels.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:04 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Pulled the trigger on a new 24' TPD so this thread will come in handy as I get it sorted for the GT4CSMR.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

You are self supporting a club sport car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary