Model S on Nurburging next week

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 PM
bdoviack
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Model S on Nurburging next week

The Gauntlet has been thrown:

Trying to post the Twitter post from Musk but having issues. Perhaps someone can help

Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I kinda don't trust Elon to do it fair and square.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202

I kinda don't trust Elon to do it fair and square.
Fair and square? Do we know for sure Porsche was fair and square? Bugatti just set the first 300mph on their test track and guess what, the car wasnt a production car. They X-rayed the tires to make sure there were no imperfections. they changed all kinds of **** in that car to make that record. no one cares about fair. Run what you brung.
The following 7 users liked this post by Ljuice10:
4pipes (09-05-2019), flickroll (09-22-2019), goin2drt (09-05-2019), JB43 (10-19-2019), RonF (09-10-2019), T3X4S (09-06-2019), westwest888 (09-07-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:17 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Ljuice10
Fair and square? Do we know for sure Porsche was fair and square? Bugatti just set the first 300mph on their test track and guess what, the car wasnt a production car. They X-rayed the tires to make sure there were no imperfections. they changed all kinds of **** in that car to make that record. no one cares about fair. Run what you brung.
So far Porsche has been an example of fair and square, actually. One thing with Porsche is that you can take one from the showroom and repeat almost every drag or lap time they showed in publicity stunts. Yes, they are using the highest performance configurations sometimes (e.g. Cup R tires on the new RS) but at least they are transparent about it, unlike many other manufacturers running times that no one can ever replicate in real life and refusing to comment on the brand of tires they used or if any components were modified.
The following 4 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
95spiderman (09-06-2019), bplein (09-06-2019), Jason Zhang (09-06-2019), SpeedyD (09-06-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:35 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

This.....well....I’m interested in seeing how close Tesla can get. I’m not predicting it will go very well but you never know what Elon has up his sleeve.

Questions. So many questions. Who will drive? Will it be a full private session?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hmm. Misha Charoudin of Apex Nurburgring fame posted these pics yesterday. Didn’t think much of them but could the game be afoot? I know of no good reason to run a Model S on Sport Cup 2’s. But what’s with the janky Gurney flap?

Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Hahaha - these look like Cup 2 R tires, actually. Good for ~40 minutes of going very very fast and then that's it. The aero looks OEM to me
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,882 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Not sure I understand the fascination with 'Ring times for an EV sedan.

Do people really choose a Panamera over an S-Class (or vice versa) because the Panamera is faster around the Nurburgring than the Merc?

#ShakesHead
The following users liked this post:
997rs4.0 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 12:15 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

well given that Porsche is claiming the Taycan is "better" based on "performance" - cause they've got nothing in the efficiency or price department - it would seem reasonable to establish how good/bad the Model S actually is at the ring…as far as I'm concerned not enough pop-corn in the world for this little play…wow - competition is awesome - both cars will get better!!! Come on Porsche!!! Come On Tesla!!!

remember when no one cared what an EV could do - now we're arguing over how good/bad they are...this is what's needed to push this automotive segment forward.

need way way way more popcorn.
The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
JB43 (10-19-2019), Needsdecaf (09-06-2019), RonF (09-10-2019), T3X4S (09-06-2019), W8MM (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not sure I understand the fascination with 'Ring times for an EV sedan.

Do people really choose a Panamera over an S-Class (or vice versa) because the Panamera is faster around the Nurburgring than the Merc?

#ShakesHead
No, it’s honestly stupid. I said in another thread that of the three records Porsche published: the # of 0-200 starts, the total KM covered in 24 hours and the ‘Ring time, that the ‘Ring time, while impressive, was the least important to an EV sedan. Of course I got laughed at a bit by someone who thinks they know about “performance” but ICE and EV live in two different realms. Those who are in the EV know understand which are the harder achievements to achieve.

But its it’s still fun. And the Taycan is a hell of an impressive performer.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,882 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
No, it’s honestly stupid. I said in another thread that of the three records Porsche published: the # of 0-200 starts, the total KM covered in 24 hours and the ‘Ring time, that the ‘Ring time, while impressive, was the least important to an EV sedan. Of course I got laughed at a bit by someone who thinks they know about “performance” but ICE and EV live in two different realms. Those who are in the EV know understand which are the harder achievements to achieve.

For me it's not even an ICE v. EV thing.

Whether ICE, EV or hybrid, if I'm buying a luxury sedan (which is what both the Taycan and Model S or 3 are), I'd care more about ride comfort, handling, and general driving dynamics in day-to-day duties. Not at full break neck speed around some track.

It's like if I buy a Patek 5078G. Yes, it's interesting and noteworthy that the watch might be water resistant to X meters, but what I really care about is that it chimes every minute on the minute.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
...if I'm buying a luxury sedan (which is what both the Taycan and Model S or 3 are)
Wait... As in "I'm rich and I want to drive in a luxury vehicle, but I cannot decide between a 50 K Model 3 and a 150 K Taycan because they obviously offer the same level of luxury, so I'm going to decide based on range" ?

There's "luxury" and "luxury". I daily drive a Panamera and for the life of me couldn't understand what happened when I went recently, in good faith (wife was in the market for a new car), to try the three Tesla models. The Tesla feel so cheap: everything feels cheap. From opening the door to sitting in to touching the various materials. It is simply terribly bad. Painful even. We instead went with a fourth german car at home.

They're all are "luxury" the same way a compact "luxury" model 3 and an ultra-luxury Rolls-Royce Wraith share the word "luxury".

Just as there are "leather seats" and "leather seats", there are a great many level of luxury and I'm not sure those ordering the Taycan consider Tesla to be a luxury brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by martinced:
997rs4.0 (09-12-2019), JB43 (10-19-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,015 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Why is it stupid? - Porsche make performance cars, in fact its what they are renowned for and its up to Tesla to step up to the plate or not as the case may be.

Moreover, Porsche has motorsport hard wired into its history and as a consequence Porsche said the Taycan would have performance in its fabric - hence a ring time - something that gives one a perspective on its capabilities as a performance vehicle.

Furthermore there are plenty of Porsche owners that do understand performance (there are plenty of people on here that have raced everything from Carrera Cup through to national level tarmac rallies) and expect the Taycan to have some of the characteristics that define performance - which it clearly does. Tesla owners continuously bleat on about performance (in the high school sense of the world e.g. 0-60), so why not take the challenge.

ICE and EV don't live in two different realms, they occupy the same roads and serve the same purpose. Likewise EVs have to compete in the real world and be judged in that world.

Performance and competition are not something to shy away from they are something to embrace.

Good to see EV owners know and understand .......must be that special legacy 400V system

Last edited by groundhog; 09-06-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Having spent some time in a Model X and also time in a new XC90, I can say that Tesla does NOT do luxury well. Areas you need to touch without seeing (rear seat adjusters) on the Model X were done in literally the worst plastics I have ever felt in a modern car. Other components lack basic fit and finish of a mid priced sedan, let alone a $100K+ vehicle. Ergonomics and ease of use are similarly a joke.

So I fully expect the Taycan to demolish Tesla (all its offerings) in both design and quality. I would never purchase a current Tesla for the lack of quality and refinement per dollar spent vs other options out there. Also, there is a huge difference between “party trick” one shot performance like a model S in ludicrous mode, and repeatable performance. Similar to how I would not compare a 911 turbo quarter mile to some other car that is using a large shot of nitrous to boost hp for a few seconds...

All that said, I still find the Taycan disappointing on technical specs alone and the Tesla lineup more impressive on specs vs price. Ultimately it means that for a luxury option, neither are compelling (Tesla due to absurdly poor quality and interior design / useability, Porsche due to other more interesting non EV options).
The following 5 users liked this post by SpeedyD:
AlecG (09-11-2019), destaccado (09-06-2019), JB43 (10-19-2019), MM3.9GT3 (09-06-2019), NateOZ (09-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Model S on Nurburging next week