Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Right seat recommendations for spec Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:28 PM
adeane
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right seat recommendations for spec Boxster

Any recommendations for a right seat? Preferably not too heavy nor expensive. Must be safe!
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:08 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anne: I'd consider Kirkey aluminium:
I bought a used one from my race prep guys; it is cheap, safe, and easy to remove/install (ex if i'm doing a coaching day w DMTD, and then have a race weekend immediately after). Good luck, RB

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/kir...FdgHgQodFA0NTA
Old 03-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you plan on having in coach/instructor in the car at a PCA event, make sure that the seat and restraints are equal to what you have as a driver.

From the DE minimum standards:

"Equal Restraints

Both student and instructor shall have the same restraint system. All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed lap and shoulder restraint system."
Old 03-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a Kirkey (wide, not sure of size) FS for local pickup, you would need side mounts and slider (if you want it to be adjustable). Very light, great shape. I also have a Kirkey add-on Halo that has never been mounted..

Originally Posted by Lemming
If you plan on having in coach/instructor in the car at a PCA event, make sure that the seat and restraints are equal to what you have as a driver.

From the DE minimum standards:
"Equal Restraints
Both student and instructor shall have the same restraint system. All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed lap and shoulder restraint system."
You do NOT have to have the same seat brand, this ^^ to me means if you have a harness on one side you need the same style harness on the other, and a rated race seat in both spots, just to clarify...
Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You do NOT have to have the same seat brand, this ^^ to me means if you have a harness on one side you need the same style harness on the other, and a rated race seat in both spots, just to clarify...
I agree, but if i was going to sit in the right seat, and he had a nice brand new halo seat on the left, and an old outdated beat to crap cheap seat on the right, i'd sure wonder if he valued my life as much as his own
Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure you don't need to wonder about that.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I don't believe that I said it had to be the same brand?? However, it does need to be equal in the eyes of the regions scrut or CDI. If the driver has a halo, the passenger should also have the halo. If he driver has a 6-point, the passenger should have a six-point, etc.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 PM
968workaholic
Pro

PCA does not specify same type of seat, ie halo seat vs no halo seat. Only that the restraints, (belts), are equal on both sides. Most cages aren't designed around having a halo seat on the right, unless whoever is riding with you is a contortionist they would probably appreciate not having to squeeze into a halo seat over a high right side roll bar
Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Egress is also important too. If its hard to get into a seat, it's hard to get out
Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Make sure you get the seat with the cupholder option :P

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 03-18-2017, 01:58 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Brings up an interesting question. Nothing to do with cost. I always drive with a HALO seat, but a HALO right seat won't give much visibility at the driver. Any thoughts on this? Putting my right seat hat or helmet hat on, would I rather be able to see the driver or maximize safety?

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
PCA does not specify same type of seat, ie halo seat vs no halo seat. Only that the restraints, (belts), are equal on both sides. Most cages aren't designed around having a halo seat on the right, unless whoever is riding with you is a contortionist they would probably appreciate not having to squeeze into a halo seat over a high right side roll bar
Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 PM
adeane
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the responses! Yes, PCA requires the restraint system be equal. I was planning on that. The aluminum Kirkey seat sounds like a good option as it won't add that much weight to the car, and cost is a consideration. As far as HALO vs. no HALO, I'm opting for no HALO for visibility as well as egress safety. I have a NASCAR cage, and the right side is not cut into the door, as it is on the driver's side.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:22 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SAFETY! you dont need more than that in the right seat
Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have a halo seat, you have to have the safety net down the middle of the car. I'm not personally convinced those things will actually keep your head from moving sideways in a crash. I'd much rather have the halo seat. I have no problems with egress with the halo. Yes, there's no visibility, but I think the net blocks that too. Learn to trust your mirrors.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

She is asking about the right seat. Drivers seat is already a HALO

Quick Reply: Right seat recommendations for spec Boxster