Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Accusump Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:48 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Accusump Upgrade

After a number of Accusump failures due to high oil pressure in the Porsche 986 Spec Boxster, Canton Racing Products has developed an electric valve upgrade kit.

The rubber membrane in the older valve units would rupture under pressure, allowing oil to slowly leak through the membrane. This resulted in the unit failing to hold adequate pressure. When you shut the engine down, the pressure in the accumulator would slowly drop.

The unit was designed for 35-40 pounds of oil pressure, and the Boxster usually pushes around 95 pounds.

Anyway, they've done away with the fragile membrane and developed a much sturdier valve unit. This is the older unit. The membrane could be accessed (and replaced) by removing the four large Phillips screws. The new unit is being sold through Summit Racing (free shipping) $227.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...273x/overview/

I've had continuing problems with my Accusump for the past year and installed this upgrade yesterday. The install was easy peasy. We'll see how it works at Sebring. I'm not affiliated with these guys, but they were soooo helpful on the phone, getting this sorted out.

Last edited by PLNewman; 01-31-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Amazon has it for a little less, just saying!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Make sure it includes the solenoid. Canton has the package for $203 (not including shipping) but it doesn't include the solenoid...and you NEED that.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...RIC-VALVE-KIT/

Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best upgrade I've done to my accusump is taking it out.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Make sure it includes the solenoid. Canton has the package for $203 (not including shipping) but it doesn't include the solenoid...and you NEED that.
It has the solenoid.

https://www.amazon.com/Canton-Racing...ywords=24-273X

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
I've been debating on whether or not to install in my build. I have one from my 944LS3 car that I parted out. Never had the problem stated above even though I was 95psi under power.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

You can afford to. You've got a spare crate motor sitting in your garage.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Originally Posted by PLNewman
You can afford to. You've got a spare crate motor sitting in your garage.
Not anymore - put that into another car already. Now I just have a 20,000 mile engine sitting in the garage. However, I've seen engines pop because an accusump was involved. I've not seen one fail because an accusump was not involved. Just my experience. Gladwill took his out for the same reason.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:49 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Not anymore - put that into another car already. Now I just have a 20,000 mile engine sitting in the garage. However, I've seen engines pop because an accusump was involved. I've not seen one fail because an accusump was not involved. Just my experience. Gladwill took his out for the same reason.
I hear of this more and more. Anyone weigh one when they took it out? Maybe if I took mine out I could get the car to a reasonable weight
Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmuller
I hear of this more and more. Anyone weigh one when they took it out? Maybe if I took mine out I could get the car to a reasonable weight
Mine was just over 20lbs with the fluid it consumed as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Data shows it is "reactive". The issue is loss of oil pressure on some tracks, on some turns. At our local track there are two higher G right handers that are when oil pressure drops. Very momentary. By the time the accusump reacts and dumps in its oil, the drop is gone and no longer needed. So it never actually helps with the initial pressure drop, so any damage done is done. it is similar to a lot of the tranny cooler setup being used.....guys use no data to show the actual effect of the system. No Data, never happened......
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

The 3-quart weighs a little over 8 pounds empty. I don't know about you, but 8 pounds ain't gonna put me in the TOP TEN.

Last edited by PLNewman; 02-01-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 PM
ianacole
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
Data shows it is "reactive". The issue is loss of oil pressure on some tracks, on some turns. At our local track there are two higher G right handers that are when oil pressure drops. Very momentary. By the time the accusump reacts and dumps in its oil, the drop is gone and no longer needed. So it never actually helps with the initial pressure drop, so any damage done is done. it is similar to a lot of the tranny cooler setup being used.....guys use no data to show the actual effect of the system. No Data, never happened......
HPR 4 & 7? Saw a SPB smoking pretty regularly and heavily coming out of 11 at a race last year, but think that was an AOS issue...
Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not even sure I know how to work the thing properly.
When do you flick it on/off?
And how to scavenge it when changing oil?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:13 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

True dat.

Quick Reply: Accusump Upgrade