Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Brake Pads

Old 12-25-2016, 06:57 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Pads

What compounds do you guys use on your spec boxsters? Pagids, PFCs? Any help would be appreciate. Thank
Old 12-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

In the Pagid line, some like the RS29 for longevity and because they are easy on the rotors. For more stopping power, the RS14 works really well on an SPB. I raced one on both and preferred the RS14 and found that they weren't that much harder on the rotors. Liked the PF08s as well but I really liked the RS14 we used when I co drove the car in the EMRA 4 hour race at Summit Point a few years ago. No fading, no boiled brake fluid.

Kind regards,
Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 PM
jpc fabrication
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steven you getting a spec boxster?
Old 12-25-2016, 09:15 PM
racing916
Racer

Thanks for the reply Mark!

Jay, No SPB for me, but I am working on fitting a set of boxster brakes on the 914 and was just wondering what the best pads are as the cars. The rotors I am using are also boxster rotors so I was thinking I would find out what luck you guys had and mimic it. Hope you had a good Christmas!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:03 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Depends on your braking style really...

Gentle as a kitten: Pagid Orange Fronts / Pagid Black Rears
A little bit more teething and back scratching: Pagid Yellow Fronts / Pagid Black Rears
Shave the cat and twirl it around your head: Pagid Black fronts and rears

Any of the above but care less about feel and don't like to change pads often: PCF 08 fronts and 11 rears
Old 12-26-2016, 08:20 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Good to learn. Thx!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:43 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
Depends on your braking style really...

Gentle as a kitten: Pagid Orange Fronts / Pagid Black Rears
A little bit more teething and back scratching: Pagid Yellow Fronts / Pagid Black Rears
Shave the cat and twirl it around your head: Pagid Black fronts and rears

Any of the above but care less about feel and don't like to change pads often: PCF 08 fronts and 11 rears
I need more rear bias - running yellow front / orange rears

I found black fronts took the Rotor with it each pad change so I stopped using them
Old 12-26-2016, 11:29 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I need more rear bias - running yellow front / orange rears
Oranges have less stopping power than yellows so don't understand how it would add more rear bias. However, if you believe that the operating temperatures in the rear does not get the yellows high enough to be effective.... which is a reasonable position.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:35 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Yeah it's the reason the rear pads last so much longer - they are barely working - I don't have temp data but can feel it under braking
Old 12-26-2016, 11:36 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Use blacks front and rear. I use one set of front rotors a year (6 race's, 10 open lapping days) and one set of rears every 18 months.

Agree with Feueracing, feel is what your looking for. I use 2 sets of fronts pads and one set of rear pads a year. If your using lots of pads, your doing it wrong.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:45 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Use blacks front and rear. I use one set of front rotors a year (6 race's, 10 open lapping days) and one set of rears every 18 months.

Agree with Feueracing, feel is what your looking for. I use 2 sets of fronts pads and one set of rear pads a year. If your using lots of pads, your doing it wrong.
Not sure what to tell ya - my results say I'm doing it right, are you using custom brake ducting or something? I just have cup control arm air guides

My feel tells me my front brakes are doing the lion share of work - used two sets of rear pads on 22 days on the car this season

I'll kill a set of black fronts in 2-3 race weekends depending on track

The tracks you run require big braking zones? We have a few 110+ down to 30 turns out here

Every track out here has at least two turns where I'm maxed out on BPS for a bit
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Not sure what to tell ya - my results say I'm doing it right, are you using custom brake ducting or something?

My feel tells me my front brakes are doing the lion share of work

No custom brake ducting at all. Stock brake ducts.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:50 PM
racing916
Racer

Excellent info, Thanks!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Not sure what to tell ya - my results say I'm doing it right, are you using custom brake ducting or something? I just have cup control arm air guides

My feel tells me my front brakes are doing the lion share of work - used two sets of rear pads on 22 days on the car this season

The tracks you run require big braking zones? We have a few 110+ down to 30 turns out here

Every track out here has at least two turns where I'm maxed out on BPS for a bit
I used to use lots of pads and rotors. My first year of SPB I think I went through 5 sets of pads and two or 3 sets of rotors. I discovered over the years how to brake softer and brake less in general. Now I really don't use much pad or rotor. All I can say is using lots of brakes (both pad and rotor) is a natural progression of a driver. As you continue to progress out work out how to not use the brakes so much.

Some of the tracks we run do have big brake zones, especially high speed sweeping brake zones. My SPB will often see 132 at some of the tracks we run, right before 60-70 mph corners.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:41 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

That sounds great, but how?

Assuming speed to turn in point is fixed and that you can trail brake you need to go from speed down straight to speed at Apex

Option 1 brake less hard and longer = slower
Option 2 brake harder less distance = can brake Later = faster

Harder braking = more wear

BPS overlap mine versus the pro I hired to help setup my car who has imsa cayman and PWC cup seats was identical (as was everything but my slow crap upshifting) so I'm missing how I can use less brakes by technique?

I can use less by cooling front more or getting more rear bias through pad / Rotor combos for sure - less brake use would be slower lap time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pads