Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

WTB 8 1/2 X 17"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default WTB 8 1/2 X 17"

WTB 8 1/2 X 17" Boxster rear Wheels, need 3 but will take from 1 to 4. Located in the Central Coast of CA...can travel to NoCal or SoCal to pick them up...Straight and True please.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:57 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in the same boat. Willing to pay shipping etc..

I feel the class missed the boat on the rule change for wheels this year. Playing scavenger for OEM wheels isnt racing, its snobbery. Especially when there are non OEM wheels within the same specs on the after market.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:25 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Just looked on Ebay. There are at least 10 OEM 8.5 rear's on there for less than $500 each. Thats where I buy mine. Managed to piece 5 sets of wheels together by keeping on eye out on Ebay, Craigslist and Rennlist over the last few years. The wheels are out there, you just have to look for them. Bought a full set of 8.5's in the summer for $400.

No need to go aftermarket. Plenty of OEM rims around.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Just looked on Ebay. There are at least 10 OEM 8.5 rear's on there for less than $500 each. Thats where I buy mine. Managed to piece 5 sets of wheels together by keeping on eye out on Ebay, Craigslist and Rennlist over the last few years. The wheels are out there, you just have to look for them. Bought a full set of 8.5's in the summer for $400.

No need to go aftermarket. Plenty of OEM rims around.
I agree, and there are several types of Boxster wheels that meet the rules, just gotta look. This may change as this class seems to be growing at an exponential rate but for now they are out there..
Old 12-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Over a week...

No action...I suppose one can always buy 2 full sets...and wind up with four 7" X 17" wheels as hose reels. E Bay and Craig lists are good suggestions.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:18 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
No action...I suppose one can always buy 2 full sets...and wind up with four 7" X 17" wheels as hose reels. E Bay and Craig lists are good suggestions.
No action because those that we have we worked hard to get we are keeping because we need them!

But seriously, looking for them here is probably always going to be a long shot as there a bunch of people in the same boat. Go 'off grid' with the vendors mentioned and you will be able to piece a set together.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:31 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Guys - search 'Donald Parke'... I put his contact info on the forum a couple years ago. Dismantler in Ohio. Call him, don't bother with email. He has access to Boxster wheels.

Agree with Matt, no need for a rule change, the wheels are out there. Hell, there's a dismantler (largely BMW) just outside Road Atlanta where I stumbled upon a bunch of 8.5 wheels. He likely has more.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:55 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also - don't forget ebay.ca and ebay.co.uk as well. The dollar is strong and shipping is not that expensive. I bought a full set from the UK for £300 and £50 shipping which a year ago would have been expensive..

There's plenty of them on the market - between eBay, Woody and LA Dismantler they're very accessible...
Old 12-29-2016, 04:52 PM
katmeho
Pro

Woodys - confirmed no inventory
LA dismantler - confirmed no inventory
eBay US - 2 mismatched wheels
eBay CA - a couple of full sets, mismatched

and this is where we stand before the season when last years retired cars / drivers / spares should be up for sale...which would be cool if this was about restoring classics...but this is a racing series. The series should be able to easily integrate new drivers into the series with a tech approved setup.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a few complete sets with tires on eBay for sale if you don't mind junking or reselling the fronts.. Also check on searchtempest.com which can do a national Craigslist search vs. just local. I managed to get 3 sets together last year for my old Spb and never paid more than 150 per wheel. I used eBay, Craigslist, and a dismantler in Tampa fl. There is an eBay seller that goes by the seller name "qualityporscheparts". He is a Porsche dismantler out of New Mexico that usually has a large inventory. I've gotten wheels from them as well as some body parts after a minor run-in with a tire wall last season.

While it is getting a bit harder to collect wheels, they are definitely still out there. Good luck with your search.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:45 PM
SD_Joe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck using multiple online recyclers (junk yards). I put together two sets last year that way. Try http://car-part.com. You may have to make a few phone calls but most places ship and the prices are reasonable. If you are lucky, you can find one that is within driving distance.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:15 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by katmeho
Woodys - confirmed no inventory
LA dismantler - confirmed no inventory
eBay US - 2 mismatched wheels
eBay CA - a couple of full sets, mismatched

and this is where we stand before the season when last years retired cars / drivers / spares should be up for sale...which would be cool if this was about restoring classics...but this is a racing series. The series should be able to easily integrate new drivers into the series with a tech approved setup.
So there are wheels out there then. Buy the ones you want and in a month another couple will pop up to match. Bingo! You got a set.

I have no desire to spend stupid money on non oem wheels when there is a plentiful supply out there. Just got a third wheel to the third set for a new car we are building. There will be another wheels in a month or so. Buy the time the car is built, it will have four sets of wheels for it.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:05 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Some good advice here.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:12 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

They are still out there, you just have to spend some time looking. The rule change I'd like to see is allowing 7" all around for rains. Then I could use more of the 6 I have and free up two more 8.5s for drys.

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/PORSCHE/BOXSTER/1998/

http://www.originalwheels.com/porsch...er1999rims.php
Old 01-14-2017, 01:09 PM
ianacole
Advanced

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-p...st-wheels.html

Quick Reply: WTB 8 1/2 X 17"