Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

fire wall rule

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:13 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default fire wall rule

Reading over the new no non covered holes in the fire wall rule, I have a question.
Is this rule also for the wall between the front area and the cockpit.
I have the big ones covered but worry about the small holes in the front
Mark
Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

Yes, I think it applies to both front and back. Since the fuel tank is in the front, it makes quite a bit of sense. I have one large and a couple small holes that I need to plug.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:54 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fuel tank in the front is itself fully separated from the cockpit by a firewall and a metal cover under the battery. I don't see how we are supposed to seal the hole between the brake pedal and the brake booster, at least not in the way suggested by the rule. I think the cowl area should be considered part of the driver compartment, but I don't think that is the intent of the new rule.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Will cowl openings for heater core and cabin air filter require metal covers under the new rule? I've got the stock metal battery cover in place over the fuel tank and I made a metal cover for the parking brake cable opening. Do I need to make covers for the two big cowl openings? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:04 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Here's what I did to cover the three large holes in the forward firewall. Got a ���� from the scruts.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I sent Walter Fricke a question on this subject but have not heard back as of yet. In my past two race cars I used the heater core opening as a driver cooling vent. The cowl is a high pressure area and provides fantastic flow, I used a double duct with one vent to the driver's body and the other to the footwell. If it rained, I sealed the vent shut with a plastic insert. In the past the cars passed tech for PCA, NASA, and SCCA. I was planning on using the vent in my spec boxster build, but am not sure that this will be an option.

I'm not sure I see an issue with this as the fuel tank is separated from the cowl/frunk by the metal body.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2017, 05:14 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Touch 'N Foam Fire Retardant

I showed up at the Sebring race with this stuff and the chief scrut said it was okay with him. I filled all the holes where I feed the cool-suit lines and the transponder wire.

Touch 'N Foam firebreak flame resistant sealant, flame resistant all purpose, class 1 fire retardant foam sealant that exceeds testing standards, self extinguishing & works by eliminating oxygen flow in service penetrations where fire spreads most quickly, using firebreak in these penetrations means fire will take longer to burn through to adjoining rooms, giving you valuable time to get to safety, meets ulf 1715, UL94 v-o, ASTM 814 e-84, tinted bright orange for easy identification.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I sent Walter Fricke a question on this subject but have not heard back as of yet. In my past two race cars I used the heater core opening as a driver cooling vent. The cowl is a high pressure area and provides fantastic flow, I used a double duct with one vent to the driver's body and the other to the footwell. If it rained, I sealed the vent shut with a plastic insert. In the past the cars passed tech for PCA, NASA, and SCCA. I was planning on using the vent in my spec boxster build, but am not sure that this will be an option.

I'm not sure I see an issue with this as the fuel tank is separated from the cowl/frunk by the metal body.
I checked with some national scruts out here, and explained that the Boxster fuel tank is already encased in the metal body. Regardless of that, they stated that that center hole must be covered with a metal plate, with metal fasteners. You can use stock coverings on the two side holes.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I recall a post that showed how the large hole in the back of a 944 was covered with the top from a 1 gallon paint can. Is anyone familiar with that post? Thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
You can use stock coverings on the two side holes.
Unless part of your rollcage passes through those holes to attach to the top of your strut mounts.

Quick Reply: fire wall rule