Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Minimum cost of entry to start building a spec boxster...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:47 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Once you can come within a few seconds of the track records (at legal weight, as you can run DE light)
Thats the key, and I'm sure I wouldn't be ready yet. We were talking about it this morning. (I'm pretty sure I'm overweight if anything). I was at Summit this weekend and I really wanted to go under 1:30 but the best I could squeak out was a 1:31. 4 other guys were there who club race, and I got to follow one (Jon B number 161) I couldn't keep up with him. They're running 1:27's on average. I know the top guys are a few seconds under that (I watched Todds video there, WOW!) But seeing as how I've only done 2 years of DE with Metro only I was happy. I also got promoted from Blue to White. Jon said I should do Club racing but I told him I need at _least_ another year of DE. I don't want to embarrass myself.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2016, 04:19 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thats the key, and I'm sure I wouldn't be ready yet. We were talking about it this morning. (I'm pretty sure I'm overweight if anything). I was at Summit this weekend and I really wanted to go under 1:30 but the best I could squeak out was a 1:31. 4 other guys were there who club race, and I got to follow one (Jon B number 161) I couldn't keep up with him. They're running 1:27's on average. I know the top guys are a few seconds under that (I watched Todds video there, WOW!) But seeing as how I've only done 2 years of DE with Metro only I was happy. I also got promoted from Blue to White. Jon said I should do Club racing but I told him I need at _least_ another year of DE. I don't want to embarrass myself.

Jeff
I don't know what your driver level is, but you will find that once you start racing, you pick up a few seconds really quickly. Between the environment, the adrenaline and just trying to keep up with the other in class cars, you will stop focusing on going faster, and just drive, naturally pushing yourself to keep up and the times will drop faster than you thought possible. I'm not saying you'll necessarily be a front runner, but you won't embarrass yourself either. But you won't understand what i mean until you actually do it 😃
Old 11-09-2016, 09:04 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

We have developed a SPB exhaust system that runs open pipes for tracks/races that allow, but then allows mufflers to be added for tracks/races (Laguna, SCCA) that have strict sound limits.

Side note: ALWAYS use hearing protection. Unmuffled SPB is really loud but even a muffled SM is louder than you want to expose your ears to. Also, noise is mentally fatiguing so hearing protection is a nice advantage over those who don't use it.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 11-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Link to WRR

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Curious what the minimum cost to entry is to start the development of a SPB for a 2 year to competition timeframe.

I am assuming at a minimum..
-donor car
-safety equipment (how much does a cage run installed?)

What else is mandatory to get on track?

I originally built an E36 M3 which I crashed. I then tried to move into Spec Miata and realized I have sizing/fitment issues with most pre-built car's cages.

While I would love to buy a car for the mid 20's I see listed on this site, my budget cannot stretch that far this year (due to the loss of my M3). Rebuilding a new M3 with my salvaged parts will run me ~$12-15k. Would that same $15k get me decently down the road of putting together a SPB? I can then sell off the $8-10k worth of M3 parts I have lying around.

I am considering this new path because the E36 M3 has classing issues it seems. What attracted me to Spec Miata are the large fields. It seems like SPB is really picking up and can be a lot of fun.
OP, here is a link that you may find useful.
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...-spec-boxster/

A follow up question for those who are racing/DEing their SPB: how much money did you spend on your SPB this past season? (not for any upgrades etc, just for the usual track maintenance and tires). Or, maybe a better way to phrase that is: what's the cost per race/DE to run SPB?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911

A follow up question for those who are racing/DEing their SPB: how much money did you spend on your SPB this past season? (not for any upgrades etc, just for the usual track maintenance and tires). Or, maybe a better way to phrase that is: what's the cost per race/DE to run SPB?
Great article. As per your question, here's one of the comments from the article:

Something else worth mentioning regarding costs (I'm one of the Texas mob shown in your first photo) is how relatively inexpensive they are once they are set up. In approximately 30 race weekends my car has suffered the following failures - 1 engine, 2 gearboxes - and that's it. I recently bought a spare motor with 65K on it for $1800, each s/h gearbox cost $800. The total therefore for three years of racing is $3400 or annually less than $1200. Aside from these costs the only others have been annual wheel bearing replacement ~$400, bi annual clutch replacement ~$600 ($300/year), semi annual brake pads ~$400 ($800/year) and a new set of tires every second weekend ~$1000 ($5000/year). Total annual expenses therefore for me, doing 10 races a year, averages $7700. That amounts to only $770 per race weekend (less than the entry fees for some events these days). Throw in fuel and it's still well under $1000 / weekend.
Anyone here from the North East also race their SPB with NASA (Spec 986) and what's their experience?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I would figure $2500 per race weekend including tires/entry fee/hotel/fuel/consumables/required service and transportation. If you stretch and buy a new set of tires every other race you are under $2000 per.

Originally Posted by hf1
Anyone here from the North East also race their SPB with NASA (Spec 986) and what's their experience?
I know Frank Celenza did a NASA race this year, ask him..
Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would figure $2500 per race weekend including tires/entry fee/hotel/fuel/consumables/required service and transportation. If you stretch and buy a new set of tires every other race you are under $2000 per. I know Frank Celenza did a NASA race this year, ask him..
Thanks.
That's not as bad as I had expected...Basically alternating tires adds $500 per wknd to the Miata.

TBH, I'm sick of my Miata getting toasted by PDK Caymans in the straights...only to get held up (by said Cayman who is parked ahead of me for the next 5 turns).

And the corner workers *never* flash the blue flag when I've tailed a 944Turbo or Boxster for 3 (THREE) entire laps.

Heh...tracking a Miata does "build character" I guess
Old 11-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

To address one thing, you really won't have to worry about being held up, we usually own the track for a while and our new SP running partners are great to race with.. just keep an eye out for shiny track and Paolo.

Last edited by Gary R.; 11-24-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:53 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

TBH, I'm sick of my Miata getting toasted by PDK Caymans in the straights...only to get held up (by said Cayman who is parked ahead of me for the next 5 turns).
My buddy got a call-out from the marshals on the second day of an event. The quote was, "For you GT3 drivers in the black run group, you guys are getting creamed by the spec miata. You NEED to lift and let him by. He IS faster than you." Solved a lot of problems for that day! LOL.

Going to the cost perspective, it seems like no matter how you cut it, this sport is expensive. Tires seem pretty similar in cost between the Miata, SPB, and even other cars like the E36. While you make it up on the $10 rotors on Spec Miata, it seems like the engines are not robust and require frequent rebuilds, adding to cost. Add in silly stuff like wheel bearing failures in the front when running in the wet, and it isn't exactly cheap to run a SM either.

To close the loop on my journey, I just bought a 94 E36 325i which I am in process of converting to a race car. The countless hours learning how to wrench on the previous car are worth a lot of $$$. I think I can get the car race ready for about $12-14k in additional investment (including the purchase of the car). I have an engine, suspension, etc. from my wreck that will go right in. Will definitely consider SPB down the road though given the popularity of the class!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

That was a Spec Boxster in the black group. And I was eating those guys alive in the turns, only to have them speed away. One of the most frustrating track weekends I've ever experienced.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

It is possible to pass slow highHP cars out of turns with a little momentum planning/timing -- capitalizing on your much higher exit speed/momentum. If you lose your momentum by sticking behind them mid-turn, you'll never pass them. Unless the straights are really long and if your lap-time is faster you'll also leave them behind never to bother you again.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

YES...IF they give a point by. Which they don't (and this was an instructor group).
Old 11-24-2016, 01:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PLNewman
YES...IF they give a point by. Which they don't (and this was an instructor group).
Of course. I was only saying that since passing in turns is usually not allowed and passing on the straight is impossible, then a lower HP (but faster) car must use the higher exit speed out of turns to create the rare passing opportunities when the highHP doesn't even have to lift to let it pass.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Last edited by Dr911; 12-03-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

All you really have to do to a stock Boxster are the safety requirements. All the spec parts are optional except the PSS9s. If you do it on the cheap you won't be competitive anyway so you could do the minimum and see how far up in the field you can get.

Quick Reply: Minimum cost of entry to start building a spec boxster...