Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Minimum cost of entry to start building a spec boxster...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
After a little less than a year in the SPB class, there are few things left unsaid that I wish someone had told me a year ago:

1- Once built, SPBs are surprisingly inexpensive to operate. But they still need tires ($1,000 per set per race weekend), pads, rotors, and fuel.

2- They are a dream to drive; beautifully balanced and tame. They rarely surprise. Great for a DE, if you don't mind getting eaten up and devoured by the expensive self-driving, nanny-minded, budget-busting super cars.

3- Driving them in a competitive manner is extremely difficult. You must be exceedingly aggressive with your braking, and exceptionally early on the throttle. In a low-power car (195 HP), first out of the turn, wins. This means from the apex out, the car must be dancing on a razor-thin edge of adhesion. You must have extraordinarily fast hands. You must, quite literally, leave NOTHING on the table, in order to be competitive. SPB is all about scrubbing as little speed as possible, carrying it through a turn, and exiting with a head of steam. This is probably not the way you are currently driving. Be prepared to spend a year or two learning the technique. And this type of driving is not for everyone.

4- SPB is THE MOST COMPETITIVE class in PCA. You can drive really, really well...and you will still finish near the back of the pack. The guys who have mastered the platform are on a different planet. Know that going in. Your ego is about to be crushed. You think you can drive? You can't drive like these guys.

5- PCA racing ain't cheap. But it's addictive. Take your budget and double it. Maybe even triple it. And that's if you don't lose it into a tire barrier.
Wow great post. You really captured the essence of SPB. This is why I decided to only DE the SPB instead of my 2015 GT3. I want to learn how to be a real driver. My hope is to someday race but I'm not ready yet. In the meantime I'm just plugging away in DEs trying to hone my skill. I may never get to the top level and that's OK. Just being out there is thrilling. I'll be at Summit point this weekend. Hope to do some lead follow with some higher level SPB drivers.

I smile when guys pass me in GT3s. I try to give early passes. Then see if I can hang with them in the turns. It's all good.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
Let me know if we can help with anything. We can source cheap donor cars and we do cages in house. Just sold our SPB and we are starting two new builds next week.

:thumbs:

Todd retubbed my car. Great to work with and keeps an eye on the money and the time.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20-25k to get a "track" ready SPB, no frills though. Bare bones racer while still being safe. Outside of that the costs add up quickly as with any other builds. Buying one already close to being setup is always going to be cheaper initially
Old 11-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#3 and #4 are so true. Watch this guy set the lap record at Laguna Seca. He's on the edge of losing it at all times. I have a Spec Boxster, but I personally lack the reflexes to do what he does.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:34 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great responses to my inquiry all around! Thank you for sharing your candid feedback and even the build sheet. Very helpful! I actually have been emailing Todd a bit to get a better understanding of the basic starting points for a build.

I spent the last 3 months investigating spec miata racing and everything described about that experience seems to be the same for SPB.

Agree with doubling/tripling the budget. On my E36 build, people laughed at my proposed budget saying I was spending too much. *Everything* adds up, including the small stuff. My first phase of safety equipment on the M3 was easily 40% of what they thought I should have spent max on my car. I don't regret spending that money on doing safety right when I hit a concrete wall at 63mph and walked away without a bruise.

My friends are urging me to stay with the E36 due to the 100s of hours learning to build/disassemble the car. I just like the idea of spec racing with big fields with reasonably equal cars. Needing to find that last 10th seems exciting to me and why I want to get out of just doing DEs (e.g., tired of friends in 911 turbos bragging about their times, which quite honestly, are not faster than lap records for SPB and SM cars!).
Old 11-04-2016, 09:34 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's also important to see what the fields look like for SPB/SM in your area, on the east coast SPB is booming. To me big fields mean if I'm at the front (HA), middle, or back of the pack I will always have someone to race against.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:09 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
It's also important to see what the fields look like for SPB/SM in your area, on the east coast SPB is booming. To me big fields mean if I'm at the front (HA), middle, or back of the pack I will always have someone to race against.
I was just helping a buddy out with our Spec Miata this weekend at NJMP and there was a huge field of SPBs out. I took a look at most of them and I would say that it didn't seem like the cages would fit me any better than the Spec Miata did. Do people just not care if their helmet goes over the roll bar with hardtop?

Also... SPB are loud! Holy cow. Do you all wear hearing protection while driving?
Old 11-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
I was just helping a buddy out with our Spec Miata this weekend at NJMP and there was a huge field of SPBs out. I took a look at most of them and I would say that it didn't seem like the cages would fit me any better than the Spec Miata did. Do people just not care if their helmet goes over the roll bar with hardtop?

Also... SPB are loud! Holy cow. Do you all wear hearing protection while driving?
Sorry, you have to speak a little louder please!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:23 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on Thunderbolt all weekend, we had a SPB (or 2) in every run group. We could have gotten you a chance to climb in one with a taller driver to see how you fit. There were two builders there that could have discussed cage design with you.

My ears don't ring when I get out of the car, but when we come down the front straight you are well aware it's a SPB!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:24 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I fit under the bar in mine. The builder fit it to me.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:03 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just helping a buddy out with our Spec Miata this weekend at NJMP and there was a huge field of SPBs out. I took a look at most of them and I would say that it didn't seem like the cages would fit me any better than the Spec Miata did. Do people just not care if their helmet goes over the roll bar with hardtop? Also... SPB are loud! Holy cow. Do you all wear hearing protection while driving?
I never thought about the noise until I moved out west and was told I need a muffler to run most tracks in Washington and Oregon
Old 11-08-2016, 08:27 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if my car was whisper quiet (which it's not) I would wear hearing protection. One time I got caught between two GT3s going up the hill on the main straight at Road America. I'm sure I did some damage to the old cochlea that day.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:55 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
This is why I decided to only DE the SPB instead of my 2015 GT3. I want to learn how to be a real driver.
I'd say you might have that backwards. Learn to RACE in the SPB, and DE the GT3. In this way, the DE's get you to practice going much faster, which is good, but you'll never duplicate SPB race conditions in a DE. You must get in there and learn to drive at the limit in very close company to be competitive.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:13 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by gums
I'd say you might have that backwards. Learn to RACE in the SPB, and DE the GT3. In this way, the DE's get you to practice going much faster, which is good, but you'll never duplicate SPB race conditions in a DE. You must get in there and learn to drive at the limit in very close company to be competitive.
Interesting perspective. Another reason I retired the GT3 from the track is simply too much risk. So I'll be DEing the SPB exclusively. My mentor is Bill Rudtner (I live within walking distance from his shop) so I'm pretty much using his advice to shape my driving career, whether that be DE only or eventual Club Racing (which I hope to try in the future).

Also, did I mention I love the SPB on the track?

Jeff
Old 11-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Interesting perspective. Another reason I retired the GT3 from the track is simply too much risk. So I'll be DEing the SPB exclusively. My mentor is Bill Rudtner (I live within walking distance from his shop) so I'm pretty much using his advice to shape my driving career, whether that be DE only or eventual Club Racing (which I hope to try in the future).

Also, did I mention I love the SPB on the track?

Jeff
I think Bill has you on the right track, learn to drive the SPB well and then come racing in it. Once you can come within a few seconds of the track records (at legal weight, as you can run DE light) and are comfortable running withing a foot or so from other cars you should try and jump in. ONLY way you will learn racecraft is to go wheel-to-wheel and experience it.. I wish I had a year to learn the platform before racing but I settled on one DE..

Quick Reply: Minimum cost of entry to start building a spec boxster...