SPBDA meetings

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:27 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default SPBDA meetings

It seems like it would be a good idea to start some "meetings" (aka excuse to drink beer and bench race) at some of the races. Hopefully this thread can serve as a way to announce and organize future meetups.

So the first ever SPBDA (Spec Boxster Driver's Association) meeting will be held at VIR, at the Oak Tree Tavern on Friday June 24 at 7pm.

Would be good to discuss any rules issues, smack talk, grudges, bench racing, tech tips, etc. First and foremost this is a social, however.

The first round is on Atlanta Speedwerks
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 06-14-2016, 02:03 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
So the first ever SPBDA (Spec Boxster Drinking Association) meeting will be held at VIR, at the Oak Tree Tavern on Friday June 24 at 7pm.
FIFY
Old 06-14-2016, 02:18 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Won't be able to attend, but I'm supportive moving to square spring rates and anything people can think of that might get the trans to last longer for rule changes
Old 06-14-2016, 02:38 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Has anybody done testing with the square spring setup? 500's or 450's all the way around?
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
Has anybody done testing with the square spring setup? 500's or 450's all the way around?
That's not legal. Not worth testing.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:52 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If there was a desire to change the rules, it would absolutely be worth testing so we know what we are asking for.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
That's not legal. Not worth testing.
Didn't Texas guys test and figure out square wheels prior to being legal?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get with Gladwill on rule change proposals as he's our representative to PCA. I know he was also interested in squaring up the springs as well. If you need his cell number PM me.

There's nothing you can do to the transmission for longevity besides, getting aggressive on fluids, driving smoother, and making it cooler so considering adding a trans cooler + a wrap or coating on the exhaust to keep heat away from it.

Last edited by FeuerRacing; 08-18-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:46 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Will check in with John. Does each class have an official rep to PCA or is this informal?

Agree on all 3 points.

Limited slip sounds expensive....I didn't feel like there were major wheelspin issues?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:11 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

LSD would change the racing in the class. part of the reason the racing is so good and the cars require a 'craft' to drive is the no LSD rule.

Agree on the trans. Good fluids and keeping the heat out is the way to go.

Not sure I agree on the rain tires. Personally I liked the RA1's more than the RR's and think they are fine in the rain. But then I like R888's to which most don't so what do I know.

Keeping the springs static will also keep the racing close. The more variability you have in the rules, the broader the spread in the car's performance will be within the class. Not sure that is the intent with SPB.

A non OEM wheel would be a great choice, although they seem to be available in the Northeast (just had two sets offered to me in the last week).
Old 06-14-2016, 07:04 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm pretty much in line with mmuller's thinking...
- LSD just adds cost on everyone. Definitely not a good direction in my opinion.
- More spring variability/options adds expense because most people will need shop/crew to assist in changing things around. Those with crew support or who own/work at a shop would get a leg up on everyone else. I feel like the original rule was fairly good at preventing a new expense of tuning the springs to the track (the "400/500 or 500/400 is OK" rule change impacts that).
- The RA1's seem pretty good to me in the rain, but I don't have any other race rain tires to compare to. I used to generally hear negatives about the R888's but that was mostly about the dry performance. The Toyo contingency program is part of the equation....
- Not sure about wheels. I managed to get a 3rd square set put together but it was painful. If there becomes an aftermarket wheel option it should be about availability/cost, not an option for spending more money to get lighter wheels.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Agree on no LSD - will also kill more gearboxes

What about spark or fuel cut-off on upshifts to get the load down on the trans?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as a point of reference for discussion: Kaaz 986 Boxster 5-speed LSD. $1,295.

I haven't been driving a Spec Boxster long enough to understand how the LSD would affect handling. I don't quite understand the argument that an LSD would make the racing less good. Spec Miata's have LSDs and they seem to have some pretty good racing...

I do like the idea of lighter wheels. 20 lbs is a bit much for a racing wheel. It affects both acceleration and handling. Spec Miata says any brand you want, at least 13 lbs.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I can certainly relate to the Spec Miata world as chairman of the SM advisory committee for SCCA.

Couple thoughts:

If we change the spring rule I would envision going to ONE option, not the two options we have now. eg you must run 500# on all 4 corners. But of course this needs to be tested and proven to be the right option.

LSD adds cost - not needed.

RA-1's are a poor (non-grippy) rain tire BUT they last forever, and when run in the dry don't burn up like a Hoosier H2O for example. So all things considered it's a less expensive rain tire that doesn't need replaced after one heat cycle.

Rims would need to be spec'd so that we don't obsolete the current rims. So the min weight would need to remain the same but manufacturer would be open.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good input from all.
Feedback like this will keep our class strong.

Quick Reply: SPBDA meetings