New tire proposal

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts
Default New tire proposal

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Toyo RR? Specifically longevity.

I jumped out of the "stock" classes and into the SPB because I didn't want to buy new Hoosiers every weekend. So far the RA1's have been fantastic and cut my tire bill by at least 70%. I'm not sure what "complexities" are being referred to in the rules proposal but I find them to be easy and cheap compared to Hoos.

So, will the RR last as long or are we deciding to leave the cost conscious philosophy of our spec class behind?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Toyo RR is a RA1 that is molded to 4/32 instead of 8/32, as a result the casing is also slightly reinforced.

A Toyo RR should be slightly faster than a RA1 shaved to 4/32 due to the reinforced casing. The rubber compound and longevity should be the same. The Toyo RR was introduced last year at NASA Nationals. There are number of NASA classes that started 2013 on the new RR with very favorable results. As always some embrace change and others reject it.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I heard a few production runs delaminated. Presumably they have this sorted out by now.

I guess we would run RRs in the dry and full tread RA1s in ze rain?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

That is the idea. Toyo expects the RR's to be available in the Spec 986 sizes by the end of the year. The goal is to provide competitors with the opportunity to purchase and begin testing with those tires by the start of the new year

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I guess we would run RRs in the dry and full tread RA1s in ze rain?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I hope they will be available in both 255 and 235 widths.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Both sizes.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Any actual data on longevity? Any series/class currently use them that we can contact?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Any actual data on longevity? Any series/class currently use them that we can contact?
+1 on both comments I think the current tire is very inexpensive to use and would embrace the new RR if price is comparable, and if the longevity is there as a well.

Can you get TOYO to get you some data?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

A guy I know who races Spec Miata came to our (multi-marque) club considering a proposal to allow the RR as a direct equivalent to the RA-1 even though under this club's rules it would normally have a classing points penalty applied because the RR is treadwear 40 (that's the cutoff for us) and the RA-1 is treadwear 100. Here's what he had learned so far about the RR:

"The consensus in the spec miata community is that they are equivalent to a really good set of heat cycled RA1. The top guys have been able to get a maximum of 0.7 secs out of a set of stickers, and dropping off immediately. Us mortals cannot get any better performance than our best RA1."

The Tire Rack page says the RR will become the NASA spec tire starting 1/1/2013 for Spec Miata, E30, and 944; and for other classes as their sizes become available. Tire Rack pricing for RR is $186 per tire than vs. $180 for RA-1, for 225/50-15.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, I sell the tire infrequently enough that I don't have much feedback on longevity that users have reported back to me. Since they basically come "pre-shaved" they should hold up pretty well. I'm watching this for feedback as well!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm running the RR on my SM, and love the tire. It's difficult to get a good handle on lap times compared to the RA1 without running them under identical conditions, but my sense is that they are about .5sec faster than the RA1. I'm not seeing much fall off on the tires with heat cycling, and I've been running them to the cord. I would describe the tire as confidence inspiring. Good grip, and a good progressive release. I've not heard anyone in she Spec Miata field complaining about them.

The delimitation issue happened with some of the early tires. I've seen it, but not experienced it myself, and I think the problem has been solved.

If they would make them in SP996 sizes, I would love to try them out in that class as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm running the RR on my SM, and love the tire. It's difficult to get a good handle on lap times compared to the RA1 without running them under identical conditions, but my sense is that they are about .5sec faster than the RA1. I'm not seeing much fall off on the tires with heat cycling, and I've been running them to the cord. I would describe the tire as confidence inspiring. Good grip, and a good progressive release. I've not heard anyone in she Spec Miata field complaining about them.

The delimitation issue happened with some of the early tires. I've seen it, but not experienced it myself, and I think the problem has been solved.

If they would make them in SP996 sizes, I would love to try them out in that class as well.
Do you have a sense on whether they last as long as a shaved set of RA1's in your experience?

If the treadwear is a 40 vs a 100 for the RA1 it seems like it is quite a bit softer and will wear out faster no?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Do you have a sense on whether they last as long as a shaved set of RA1's in your experience?

If the treadwear is a 40 vs a 100 for the RA1 it seems like it is quite a bit softer and will wear out faster no?
I don't think I've ever seen a corded RA1
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm. I just sold my last set of new (but redundant) R888s on eBay for $40 each. Hope I don't end up with three sets of useless RA1s when it is deemed we should change!

So, by the sounds of descriptions so far - they feel, look, lap and cost about the same as an RA1 but they won't work in the rain!!!!!! And the reason to change is???? This is a spec class and we all run with the same advantages/disadvantages as each other. Why would we change anything if it doesn't improve safety, longevity or running costs?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

They work in the rain about as well as your RA1 shaved to 4/32. The rain tire would remain a RA1 at full thread of 8/32.

The reason to change is to be able to use a version of the same tire we already have that has been made in the thread depth that most of us would use and to eliminate the need to shave every brand new set of RA1 we purchase. Shaving does tend to have varying levels of consistency. My guy is pretty good but every once in a while I get one cut a little more on the outside or inside, etc.

I am curious if you do not see a benefit as a driver?

-P

Originally Posted by jittsl
hmmm. I just sold my last set of new (but redundant) R888s on eBay for $40 each. Hope I don't end up with three sets of useless RA1s when it is deemed we should change!

So, by the sounds of descriptions so far - they feel, look, lap and cost about the same as an RA1 but they won't work in the rain!!!!!! And the reason to change is???? This is a spec class and we all run with the same advantages/disadvantages as each other. Why would we change anything if it doesn't improve safety, longevity or running costs?

Quick Reply: New tire proposal