Sponsored by:

Certified 911S with accident history

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:17 AM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Certified 911S with accident history

Found a out of state certified 911S with the right color and options, but upon further investigation into carfax, I saw there was an accident reported. I can not tell from the report how serious was it, and I would not trust the sales person who told me there was no accident on the car originally. Anyway, I was surprised to see a Porsche with Accident could still be certified. Is this normal or not? Should I be more suspicious of certified cars in the future?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:36 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

I think that it depends on the accident. If car was in major accident, car cannot be certified. If car was in a small fender bender with only small cosmetic damage - I think it can still be certified.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

I would request a copy of the repair bill so you can see how serious it was, if they can't produce it walk.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM
raaizin
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 63 Posts

When I bought my car I was looking at a CPO which at first the salesman said rear bumper was repainted. This car was selling for top dollar at the time. I asked to see the repair order as car was 100 miles from my house. After a bit of stalling on the sellers part he told me rear bumper painted both fenders blended and engine and transmission was removed to make repair. Naturally I passed.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

My recent buying experience resulting in a CPO 2013 base Coupe from Hennessy Porsche revealed that any repairs other tha a maximum of two panels being repainted would not be eligible for CPO. No major mechanical or frame repair allowed. My car had no accident history, verified by Carfax, paint meter and PPI.

Previously I had considered a 2012 S Coupe from a dealer in the Midwest, hood, bumper fender, headlight replaced, other front fender repaired, so at least 4 panels repainted...and it was CPO. To me, clean history, no accident repair was enough to pay more for the base than the S.

As the saying(s) go, YMMV, and buyer beware.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:06 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

There's a pretty thorough article about what the Porsche CPO is and isn't here: https://stuttgartdna.com/porsche-cer...d-cpo-program/. It is dated 6/2016 so I'd think it is pretty current.

While I had also heard the 2 panel rule several times before, this article states a higher number, but I can't say which is correct. Here's the excerpt from the article:
------
The two major exceptions prohibiting Porsche vehicles from ever entering the Porsche Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Program are:
  • Porsches that do not have a full and complete authorized-dealer service history
  • Porsches that have crash damage, i.e., with four or more repainted panels and/or with evidence of frame repair
------
I know from my own personal history that something an "accident" showing up on Carfax can be some as simple as replacement of a cracked headlight and a minor front bumper scuff from a block of wood that got bounced up across the highway. With a thorough investigation in and around the Carfax-claimed accident area you can see if there is any trace of anything of substance to worry about, at least with the aid of a trained eye.

Part of the answer for me in such a case would be how unique the car is fitting exactly what I am looking for and how hard it is to find. If it is hard to find and your search might be extended for months then a Carfax with zero visible side-effects would worry me less. If there are lots of choices out there that meet your needs, then you can pass and not to have to deal with explaining the Carfax when you try to sell.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

I know people in Porsche-land get bent out of shape over any repaint or minor hit, but I think that's overblown. Not talking about a serious hit where the frame-machine was invoked. Lots of people have a "I'll just walk if it's ever seen a paint gun" attitude. I wouldn't be that way if I could verify the lack of severity of the accident. Heck, if I'm buying a used version of a current or last-generation 911 then cost is obviously the main driver as to why I'm not getting a new one. So why not consider a car with paint and minor body repair if you can verify that, AND if the price reflects it.

Just bought my wife an ML350. She is NOT a car person at all, but loved the icy-blue pastel paint color they call Diamond Silver, and so I was looking for one of those. They quit selling that color with the change from ML to GLE, so I was looking used. Found one for sale locally in 30 days, so I inquired about it. 2014, had 2 Carfax minor body repairs from parking lot type incursions. Every other 2014 I looked at was $35,000+; this one was $27k.

New tires, drives like a dream, very few nicks; she's happy as can be and we have what looks like a new MB for Civic money. I've never even thought about the fender-benders since seeing the Carfax.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

So that means (if this is true) that if me or an INDY does all of my maintenance, that my Porsche can never be CPO'd for the next guy if I trade it in? Seems like disincentive to DIY or INDY.

That is news to me.

Can anybody else back this claim up?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:30 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
So that means (if this is true) that if me or an INDY does all of my maintenance, that my Porsche can never be CPO'd for the next guy if I trade it in? Seems like disincentive to DIY or INDY.
That is news to me.
Can anybody else back this claim up?
Yeah, that line in the article was a surprise to me too! I don't know how expert/accurate the author is, but that is something I find questionable too. I'd think they'd want be able to show service history in some form though.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:16 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I know people in Porsche-land get bent out of shape over any repaint or minor hit, but I think that's overblown.
I beg to differ.

I believe most of us get "bent out of shape" at car salespeople that misrepresent or down right lie about the car being sold.

So many dealers out there getting it right..... if I came across one misrepresenting it would be dead to me.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:56 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I know people in Porsche-land get bent out of shape over any repaint or minor hit, but I think that's overblown. Not talking about a serious hit where the frame-machine was invoked. Lots of people have a "I'll just walk if it's ever seen a paint gun" attitude. I wouldn't be that way if I could verify the lack of severity of the accident. Heck, if I'm buying a used version of a current or last-generation 911 then cost is obviously the main driver as to why I'm not getting a new one. So why not consider a car with paint and minor body repair if you can verify that, AND if the price reflects it.

Just bought my wife an ML350. She is NOT a car person at all, but loved the icy-blue pastel paint color they call Diamond Silver, and so I was looking for one of those. They quit selling that color with the change from ML to GLE, so I was looking used. Found one for sale locally in 30 days, so I inquired about it. 2014, had 2 Carfax minor body repairs from parking lot type incursions. Every other 2014 I looked at was $35,000+; this one was $27k.

New tires, drives like a dream, very few nicks; she's happy as can be and we have what looks like a new MB for Civic money. I've never even thought about the fender-benders since seeing the Carfax.
+1 x100. People are so quick to turn away cars with a bad carfax even if it was a minor bumper to bumper parking lot incident. As long as the car is priced accordingly to reflect the history, considering it will also be worth less when its time to sell or trade it in - why not take advantage of a car on the market that has a story. For daily drivers , or cars that I plan on using and abusing I have no qualms about accident history. I have seen clean carfax one owner cars with tons of dealer service history painted poorly all around with awful panel gaps and aftermarket body parts. I have also seen an airbag deployment carfax car that is immaculate in every way.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I beg to differ.

I believe most of us get "bent out of shape" at car salespeople that misrepresent or down right lie about the car being sold.

So many dealers out there getting it right..... if I came across one misrepresenting it would be dead to me.
^this.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

The particular car that I am looking at is about half the US continent away from me, I could not easily inspect the repair. The carfax shows the accident happened about 2 years ago during previous ownership, and the current dealer recently brought the car from a Porsche auction, upon my inquiry they did not know immediately the extent of the damage, they promised to get back with me but they did not.

I learned how to paint and I can tell a good paint job from a bad one. Not only color but the texture(orange peel) is important for a repair. And even if were just one panel repaired, if the job was not done properly, the color and texture most likely would not match the rest of the car. And you almost always can not tell the quality of paint job from photos. I pretty much decided against looking more into this car because I do not want to fly over to inspect a car with accident, but if it were close to me I would certainly take a closer look.

I appreciate your feedback, Now I know CPO Porsche does not mean it is accident free.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would pass on any car that has accident history---it is simply a pain to explain and it does affect the value of your 911...like it or not....911 owners are typically very picky and expect low mileage and zero accident history. Does a 911 with 15k miles drive worse than a 911 with 5k miles? Of course not...does it affect your happiness and ownership experience? NO----so yes you can and will enjoy a 911 with a minor accident and higher mileage(high mileage being more than 4-5K per year)---but at the time of resell---you will not enjoy an easy sale, you will get less for your 911, and a large percentage of Porsche 911 owners will not consider a car with accident history....It is to easy to find one without accident history.
People buying SUV's and passenger cars might be willing to accept a car with accident history, but the majority of 911 owners do not feel this way...plus if you buy a 911 with 1 accident and then you have an accident, selling your 911 with 2 accidents becomes a nightmare.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2017, 09:02 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I beg to differ.

Originally Posted by Hurricane
^this.
You beg to differ with me? About what?

I clearly said "provided the price reflects the damage and I can verify the extent or severity." You imply that I am just fine with a dealer lying to me, while you take the high road and refuse to deal with them.

That's a valid position and a valid comment, but it has exactly zero to do with my post, and you are not "differing" with me. So I deny your request and refuse to allow you to differ with me, despite your willingness to beg for the honor.

Quick Reply: Certified 911S with accident history