Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:37 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Carbon RS seats for 964RS, 993RS and Speedster

The currently work-in-progress list at Ninemeister includes two 9m64RS, a 9m93GT2 and a 9m93RSR, all of which we would prefer to furnish with a pair of the "correct" fixed back RS seats. However, since a used pair of original RS Recaros now cost the price of the average family car, we have no choice other than to consider alternatives. We can buy new from Recaro three alternatives: the narrower SPG, the wider Pole Position or the huge XL SPG. Unfortunately, a bit like baby bear's porridge, we prefer something which is "just right" as photos below of original RS/GT2 show, hence unless we can persuade Recaro to put RS seats back into production (!) we are now giving serious consideration to manufacturing a 9m carbon fibre, lightweight version of the RS seat to satisfy our requirements. The purpose of this thread is to judge whether there is a demand for a high quality alternative to the OEM RS seat.

The 9mRS seat will be visually identical to the RS seat but rather than using GRP will be manufactured with a high quality carbon/kevlar shell and trimmed with similar fire-proof cloth covered foam with removable foam cushions. There will also be a black leather trim option, other colours by special order. The seat belt holes will be trimmed with similar plastic ferrules, as per the original RS seats. As standard the seat backs will be supplied in a gloss finish carbon weave which would be suitable for over-painting if preferred.

As part of the production process we plan to submit samples of the carbon back for "sled impact" testing to achieve FIA approval, a process that our manufacturer has done many times before and is confident of passing first time. We feel that this measure is essential for the success of the product since it provides proof of the integrity of the product and furthermore will allow Cup, RS and RSR owners to fit a brand new, current legislation seat into their factory race car without compromising the aesthetics.

Initial pricing is likely to be in the region of £2195 per seat in cloth (same list price as a new Recaro SP-A Carbon) or £2595 in black leather. Both come with the FIA approval, excluding taxes and shipping. We will be pricing up the runner and side bracket additions shortly.

As always with Ninemeister, you have heard it here first and as a result if anybody is interested in having a pair for their RS, 964 or 993 project please let me know. This is a project that will definitely happen, so I'm also confident to say that if we get enough numbers I will initiate an exclusive Rennlist Group Buy.

Thanks for looking and now over to you! I look forward to receiving your thoughts.
Attached Images       
Old 03-22-2017, 05:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow

Any idea of the final weight of these fantastic seats?

Thanks for keeping us all dreaming. And on the slippery slope
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Colin I applaud your ambitions once again. Keep the good stuff coming! I hope you're seeing more sales on this side of the pond with the favorable currency exchange.

I would love to say yes on the seats but to quote your 3 bears reference I found the Sparco Evo2 to be "just right". Finding those who fit "just right" in these is going to be the greatest challenge. IIRC the RS seats fit the same as the pole positions. A bit narrow in the shoulder for myself and many others.

I don't want to pollute your thread but offering some more favorable coverings for the street crowd may help increase appeal. The black leather/Alcantera combo is what I plan on doing to mine. It's something Sparco offered on their clubsport RS seats. Maybe you can convince them to reproduce these?
Attached Images    
Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
unless we can persuade Recaro to put RS seats back into production
This part of your statement got me the most excited. What's the chance this could happen? Perhaps if we can coordinate a group buy of 100 seats (?), this would incentivize Recaro to do a "one time" run of these seats. I would be in for 2
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I am in
Originally Posted by u7t2p7
This part of your statement got me the most excited. What's the chance this could happen? Perhaps if we can coordinate a group buy of 100 seats (?), this would incentivize Recaro to do a "one time" run of these seats. I would be in for 2
Old 03-23-2017, 08:11 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Colin, Could they be made in cashmere?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, definitely, cashmere (or other Porsche colour leather), alcanatara cushions, tri-colour leather cushions, all possible within the price of the leather version provided the material is readily available. That said, if not we could get a plain hide and have it re-coloured for a slight premium.

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2017, 03:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
All depends on whether you could crowd-fund the estimated £150,000 budget on Rennlist? ;-)

From my perspective, the aim of our production is to re-evaluate every components that made a 993RS or 964RS, then re-engineer it to make it better/faster/lighter for the 9m64RS and 9m93RS cars. The seats are just one of the items that we are now considering, mainly due to original seats being outside of their FIA safety approval dates.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Wow

Any idea of the final weight of these fantastic seats?

Thanks for keeping us all dreaming. And on the slippery slope
Just waiting on our manufacturer coming back with a weight of the original and the carbon replacement.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

From my perspective, the aim of our production is to re-evaluate every components that made a 993RS or 964RS, then re-engineer it to make it better/faster/lighter for the 9m64RS and 9m93RS cars. The seats are just one of the items that we are now considering, mainly due to original seats being outside of their FIA safety approval dates.
Very cool Colin! Care to share what other components you're considering?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:07 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Tasty.....

-Andy
Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, definitely, cashmere (or other Porsche colour leather), alcanatara cushions, tri-colour leather cushions, all possible within the price of the leather version provided the material is readily available. That said, if not we could get a plain hide and have it re-coloured for a slight premium.
I might be interested. Have been thinking of keeping the car stock from now on regarding seats. That was before I saw this thread. Might reconsider. The seat is reversible and so is suspension that I´m also planing on changing in near future.

Do you know if the the leather is of the same quality as the OEM seats? My car has classic grey interior and carbon fiber surroundings around the instrumentation as the Turbo S. I think I would go for classic grey leather cover if decided to join in.

What are the main difference between Recaro PP/SPG seats and the OEM RS seats. Are the RS seats more comfortable because of the removable foam cushions.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GBX
Very cool Colin! Care to share what other components you're considering?
Literally everything, but looking to engineer complete solutions rather than just components, however the seats are one of the items that we think will prove to be popular choice so why not offer them as such.
Other items on the list are:
Engine
Engine management
Intake
Exhaust
Clutch/flywheel
Transmission
Suspension
Brakes
Electrical system
Instrumentation
Bodywork structure (but it will be all steel as original)
Wheels/tyres
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
I might be interested. Have been thinking of keeping the car stock from now on regarding seats. That was before I saw this thread. Might reconsider. The seat is reversible and so is suspension that I´m also planing on changing in near future.

Do you know if the the leather is of the same quality as the OEM seats? My car has classic grey interior and carbon fiber surroundings around the instrumentation as the Turbo S. I think I would go for classic grey leather cover if decided to join in.

What are the main difference between Recaro PP/SPG seats and the OEM RS seats. Are the RS seats more comfortable because of the removable foam cushions.
The SPG is the narrowest, the Pole Position in the middle, the XL SPG is the largest. In comparison the 993RS seat is a fraction narrower than the PP but wider than the SPG. I'm 6' and around 200lbs, I fit the SPG and RS seat quite happily but after 2-3 hours in the SPG I have pins & needles in my leg. As for the RS seat, I drove my Clubsport to the 'Ring and back without a problem.

The RS seats come with additional cushioning that you can remove for track days and refit for road. I guess that ultimately we might offer various densities to tune the seat to the owner.

We source our hides from the same place as a well known Crewe motor manufacturer, hence it will be the highest quality available. We also have a source for original Porsche hides. Hence, as long as the customer covers the additional cost of the material, we will cover the seats in anything of their choice (even genuine Scottish Tartan cloth - don't ask!).
Old 03-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Adjustable thickness/density foam would be a plus something like the RECARO Pro Racer Ultima 1.0
Like Colin I can fit into and SPG but it's really a bit too tight for more than a few laps
PP is perfect but the lower bolsters and small shoulder holes are an issue, Taller drivers can't safely use the stock PP w/ small holes w/ shoulder harnesses.

SPG XL is too big but is also the only one w/ the big shoulder holes. I also like the taller side bolsters. The stock velcro tabs are also nice to secure seat belt receptacles that pass through the side holes.

It would be nice to have removable halo too.

Lastly a mounting system sliders+side mounts that is designed to fit 911-993 w/o modification would make install easier.

Quick Reply: Carbon RS seats for 964RS, 993RS and Speedster