Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post: Looking for advice on allocating a 991.2 GT3 at sticker.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:26 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First Post: Looking for advice on allocating a 991.2 GT3 at sticker.

Sorry if i'm beating a dead horse, I am really new to the Porsche world at the moment (at least compared to most on here).

I come to you to today in need of help, I visited my local dealer, Auto Gallery in Los Angeles, this past weekend and the salesman was very elitist, spewing BS about how GT3's never sell at sticker, that they only import 200 to the US a year (i know i know, wow).

Anyways, that all left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't appreciate him making me feel like I am not good enough to own one of these cars.

Could you guys please teach me how to get into a GT3, get an allocation however difficult that may be? Are there particular dealers here that Rennlister's tend to go to exclusively?

Thanks for your help, and my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. Happy to hear about your guys' experiences as well if you happened to go through something similar.

Last edited by freshness; 09-02-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Auto Gallery is horrible by the way in terms of selling at MSRP. Good service department though. Sales people usually know much less than you. Sounds like yours was a jerk.
Some dealers only sell to locals. Others to loyal customers. Having another GT to trade in sometimes helps.
Anyways, LA is a tough market, but call local dealers and others (there is a thread on "good dealers" on here) and ask to speak to the sales managers and ask about the list. The list at most dealerships is long, but still worth getting on them as most people are on multiple lists. Many will ask for a REFUNDABLE deposit, and I think that is fair. Again, people have multiple deposits. Just make sure you get it in writing. Being late to the game, be prepared to get a late allocation. I think if you're patient, you'll eventually get an allocation.
Others can chime in, but there are tons of threads about this.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:39 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

I've given up on getting a GT3 at MSRP in CA a long time ago. Unless you are a celebrity, VIP, old customer with frequent buying history, expect to pay "market price" through out the entire production run.

I'm prepare to wait for a very late allocation from out of state dealers and hope for something close to MSRP. Also hope by that time, the LA PEC is ready for delivery so I can save a little on the transportation fee.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

how good are you at fellatio?

i kid i kid

having the latest and greatest is neat, but not worth mark up for me personally.

this is not going to be a limited edition car. i will let the hubbub die down, then score one CPO.

best of luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Capitalism. If 10 people were offering you $10k over, under what circumstance would you sell it for MSRP to some guy you talked to on the phone for 5 minutes?

You have to pay to play.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
. But yeah, good at that or bending over (Vaseline helps)... plus being patient for a late build at MSRP (if at all). Or paying whatever necessary to 'outbid' others in front of you and get one sooner. Or buy a 570S (or R8) at MSRP whenever you want, without being denigrated like that. Up to you. I'll never want anything bad enough in my life to consider the first 2 options, but to each his own. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:44 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Just have to call lots of small Midwest dealerships and get on their lists. I have a .2 GT3 coming this year from Pennsylvania at MSRP.

I will never buy a new Porsche GT car in California, ever.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-14-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:15 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

From my limited experience, west coast is next to impossible to get at msrp. I had to go to New York to get my GT4 at msrp, I was patient and waited about 10 months. I currently have a deposit for a GT3 in Florida, no guarantee that I will get an allocation, I gave them $ last May. Good luck to all of us.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Can't add much to the above. Its a rough row to hoe. I've been on a list for a GT3RS since fall 2015. Got tired of waiting and concerned I would never get "the call" and broke down and bought one with 1900 miles on it at the right price from someone who needed to sell back in early '16. Got lucky price wise for those times.

Dealer still has my deposit (refundable) and said I'm still but now for the GT2RS and towards the top.

Long and short. Porsche GT cars don't sell for MSRP unless you get lucky, and some do. Some. Even used they sell for above MSRP but less then new ones or if you wait you can maybe find one at MSRP a couple years in.

You can expect dealer markups for the .2

As someone posted here there is a list of "good dealers" that sell at MRSP. I would recommend you sell your 991.1 S if that's in the plan and buy a used .1 GT3 with CPO extended warranty from a dealer and give them a deposit on new .2 GT3 and get on their list. Build a rapport with a dealer and patronize them (brown nose to some extent).

Example, my dealer here out in NJ. I have bought 6 Carreras from them over the past 10 years. Stop in fairly regularly to say hello. Recently stopped in and gave my sales manager a signed hat from the Porsche Factory team from the Daytona 24. He loved it. Left my deposit sitting now since fall 2015 but I did get a receipt and signed purchase order noting "GT allocation at MSRP".

As they say, "when you need the theif you cut him down from the gallows."
Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

The good/bad thing about this whole thing is most GT3RS Owners are not going to trade for the 991.2 GT3. Also, 911R Owners may not even want the 991.2 GT3. So, Dealers now can bypass their top tier Customers and service the next tier. So, those with good relationships will benefit. Now, the flip-side of this is now some Dealers could careless about the next tier and will take advantage of the opportunity.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Move to Canada and get one at msrp, just kidding. Lot's of great info here already that makes a lot of sense. Be patient and best of luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
I was gonna say the same thing.

But seriously, my suggestion is to focus on the dealership that you bought your prior Porsches from, let them know that you're interested and see if they can oblige. And be prepared to stay in contact. That's my approach. If I get one, I get one. If I don't, I don't. If Porsche no want my money, I'm sure McLaren or Audi will take it.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I honestly think if you're patient, you will get one at MSRP (although probably not in CA). Will probably be late in the cycle, but no big deal IMO. Hell, being late might even be a good thing as it will give you a chance to see if they've ironed out the engine issues. Check out the mid-west and east coast dealers.

Welcome to the obsession my friend and best of luck in getting an allocation (at MSRP of course).
Old 02-14-2017, 11:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Even the "good dealers" seem to have gone to "market price" this go around. Rules have changed.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 AM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Call a few dealers outside of your area, find ones with smaller lists of 4-5 people (ask the sales rep to check their list for you), put your name down with a small deposit, you will eventually get a call from one of them. I was on several lists like that on east coast dealers, got a 2015 and 2016 @ MSRP both times. Of-course it will also depends on the number of allocations, when the 2016s came out, very few dealers got them.

Quick Reply: First Post: Looking for advice on allocating a 991.2 GT3 at sticker.