Help me configure a VBOX HD2 for my 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help me configure a VBOX HD2 for my 997.2

AX and DE use. HD2 mostly for DE.

Two cameras and ECU/CAN bus cable a definite. Roll cage mount for the secondary camera. Windscreen mount for first camera.

1)Where to mount CPU?

2)Use SD cards or USB Flash drives (external cable)? Other than access to the SD and/or placement of the USB socket for the flash drive, I was thinking USB 3.0 flash drives are up to 400Mb/s range which would give really fast downloads to the laptop after the session is over.

3)Start stop button? Wired or Wireless?

4)Other 'options' to consider.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I would put the main unit in your glovebox, with sponge rubber cutouts to keep it from sliding left and right. Leave the top finned heat sink clear of anything laying on it.

I would connect the CAN/Power cable to the harness at the fusebox, then run it above the steering column and pedals (securing it of course) over to the glovebox.

I would run the camera cables up the c-pillar to the top right corner of the windshield for BOTH cameras. Coil the extra and stow in the glovebox.

I do not currently recommend ANY VBOX interior camera to be mounted on the plane of the main roll hoop. You CAN mount it on the lateral plane from the driver above the passenger door, but I'd rather do it from the top right inside glass.

Keep the mic in the glovebox and run the antenna to the top of your mirror or on a piece of clear 3M Scotchcal on your roof (to keep any debris between the antenna and car from marring or scratching the finish).

I can supply the optional USB drive cable, but do not believe that is necessary. The better USB 3.0 sticks are fine with 7 MBps transfer rate. I only use Transcent 600X 32 GB UHS-1 high speed SD cards.

I use the unit in auto mode and remove it (or undo the power cable from the back of the unit) when traveling. Have never used the remote button or Bluetooth, but I am sure I can supply these options.

Like the others mention, I can't imagine NOT using the OLED, so that's mandatory. No other recommended options.

Best, Peter
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-14-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:11 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Keep the mic in the glovebox and run the antenna to the top of your mirror or on a piece of clear 3M Scotchcal on your roof (to keep any debris between the antenna and car from marring or scratching the finish).

Like the others mention, I can't imagine NOT using the OLED, so that's mandatory. No other recommended options.
Peter:

Thanks.

1)What do you mean by 'to the top of your mirror'? Interior? Exterior?

2)Where/how do you recommend mounting the OLED?

3)I have a small Shure mic mounted at the license plate with shielded cable running to the backseat. I have plenty of extra cable and could reach the glovebox for the second mic input. I believe the mic is a SM11 dynamic. I currently run it to a ZOOM h5 recorder mounted on the back shelf behind the seat in a wind null. I mix the exterior exhaust and tire noise with the interior pickup from the H5. I could run that mix to the VBOX, but prefer something simpler, like using the two mic inputs on the HD2 itself.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sorry, above the mirror. Always interior.

The OLED low and central, just above the dash, visible peripherally.

Could certainly provide a stereo Y cable to accept two 3.5mm plugs (or a one-channel with a 3.5mm jack cable) for the HD2. Do not believe there are individual channel level settings, though.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:34 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

How is the signal and accuracy of the GPS with the antenna mounted on top of the mirror/interior v. on the roof/ground plane?

If the 2 mic in levels are not individually controllable, maybe I can get a little passive mixer to bring down the stronger signal. I really don't want to have to think about the audio recorder.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
How is the signal and accuracy of the GPS with the antenna mounted on top of the mirror/interior v. on the roof/ground plane?

If the 2 mic in levels are not individually controllable, maybe I can get a little passive mixer to bring down the stronger signal. I really don't want to have to think about the audio recorder.
In my experience, and since all of the Racelogic options rely solely on GPS speed to trigger operation, establish car position (particularly useful when comparing runs at the same GPS coordinates using video) and calculate g loadings, I recommend (as does Racelogic) placing the antenna ON a metal ground plane (and the roof or cowl panel is a darned good one) only. I do this because if there is any dropout, my clients and I can't overlay with complete accuracy, but the GPS reliability on the HD2 appears much better than the already good Video VBOX Pro.

That said, there are people that get good info from inside mounted antennae. Try it.

On the mic, because of the differing outputs (most likely) between the Shure and the included mic, why not just buy two VBOX mics and a splitter and put the two where you want? Then, no mixing. I have to say that the sound on the VBOX HD2 blows away the SmartyCam and is MUCH better than the R-K.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Does the HD2 give GPS accuracy data?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:53 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

On the mic, because of the differing outputs (most likely) between the Shure and the included mic, why not just buy two VBOX mics and a splitter and put the two where you want? Then, no mixing. I have to say that the sound on the VBOX HD2 blows away the SmartyCam and is MUCH better than the R-K.
I think there will still be a level mismatch given the high SPL near the exhaust at the rear plate. I specifically chose that Shure mic due to its high SPL capabilities.
In order to get a pleasant mix the rear mic will likely need to be attenuated. I could just use a passive attenuator on that mic only. There's a bunch of 12VDC powered mini mixers (level only) I could toss in the glovebox with the VBOX. I could use the same switched 12v as is powering the VBOX.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I think there will still be a level mismatch given the high SPL near the exhaust at the rear plate.
I think you ought to try it first. The ALC in the HD2 is not bad.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Does the HD2 give GPS accuracy data?
No. Not as a logged, calculated channel, or information displayed in the analysis software.

That's not been a feature I use in AiM. As long as the sat count is good and I see no dropout, I haven't been looking at that.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

No. Not as a logged, calculated channel, or information displayed in the analysis software.

That's not been a feature I use in AiM. As long as the sat count is good and I see no dropout, I haven't been looking at that.
Interesting. Not something I use all the time, but to me, it's an important measure for certain things. Satellite number and lack of dropout are not always good predictors of accuracy, but I"m sure you have seen that before as well.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:32 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I think you ought to try it first. The ALC in the HD2 is not bad.
I'm sure its good and will try. I'll probably use just the factory mic to start anyway.

The issue, if the AGC is applied against both inputs (you had mentioned no separate level) that the plate mic will be too loud relative to the cabin mic. Since we are assuming that AGC operates against both, the relative levels will be undersirable even as the AGC rides up and down. I'll test once I get a system and have time to play (and my car is out of storage and there's no snow on the ground).
Old 02-14-2017, 10:09 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I just went into the VBOX software and looked at the audio settings. Sure seems like there is only a single level control - either manually set or an AGC. Then one can select mono or stereo inputs and level (mic or line), but no mixdown or separate level controls for each channel.

Thus, the easiest approach is to just use a single VBOX mic. One could buy another and get stereo.

For me, since the VBOX will take a line level stereo input, putting the added complexity aside for the moment, I could use the H5 stereo mic for cabin ambient and the external input for the exhaust mic. I can set levels on the H5; add a low cut filter for noise and a hard compressor/limiter for the exhaust mic in particular. It will mix down to a stereo line output which can easily be run to the VBOX stereo input (with the splitter cable). No need to use it to 'record'; just a nice little mixer.

Thus far, I have used the wind null on the rear seat bottom area behind the passenger seat for ambient recording. I am wondering if low and in the cabin near the radio and shifter may be a better place.

Suggestions for micing appreciated. I do have another input available on the H5.

Lots to play with.

db
Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Best thing to do is to test!
Old 02-16-2017, 02:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

You definitely want to be in a position to be able to test and update scene files quickly.

Quick Reply: Help me configure a VBOX HD2 for my 997.2