Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i switch to S cabriolet?

Old 11-05-2016, 11:36 PM
nariman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i switch to S cabriolet?

i recently got used 2013 base 991 PDK with exhaust button and sport chrono 20k miles

i love the car, but i know that i will change it at some point when warranty expires
i wish it had a little more power ( but i still think it is pretty good)

i would like to get the S or hope GTS one day

i got the offer now from my dealer to trade my car that i got few month ago for 2012 991 S cabriolet with red interior and it manual with 19k miles

i really wanted the red interior but not sure if it is cool or i am going to get tired from it

also it is cabriolet and i like that, but how safe it is? Since i drive kids sometimes.
also i live in MA and not sure how it is for winter weather

Also how the car feels without a fixed roof ifs it too soft? i autocross sometimes

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

sorry for my english not to be perfect
Old 12-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Cabrio give you a gleam in your eye , go for it. It should be ok with the kids provided you drive safe as in any car. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:42 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are even thinking about it.... DO IT! The cab is not even noticeably louder inside with the top up. Everything you love about your car now will get amplified with a Cab. If you're not a diehard racer - the cab is incredible.

Anything else I type will be redundant but if you're even considering it then it's already too late. Just do it.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Isn't this a duplicate of another post....???

Edit: Not quite, but close

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9615...ove-991-s.html
Old 12-07-2016, 10:27 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Not sure why my post didn't all "post"!

As far as safety.... the Cab is a hardtop with a canvas cover. It's very safe and the chances of flipping anyway with the electronics and low center of gravity are slim.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by nariman
also it is cabriolet and i like that, but how safe it is? Since i drive kids sometimes.
Originally Posted by R_Rated
As far as safety.... the Cab is a hardtop with a canvas cover. It's very safe and the chances of flipping anyway with the electronics and low center of gravity are slim.
I would tend to agree about its general safety. But for full disclosure since he is talking about kids in the back, a Rennlister posted this pic of his cab recently, that was rear ended, and by his discreption of the accident, was no wear near rolling over, but must have lifted his rear end just enough to activate the anti roll safety feature. Now if there were kids in the back seat when that occurred, I bet they would at the very least need to change their pants.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
I would tend to agree about its general safety. But for full disclosure since he is talking about kids in the back, a Rennlister posted this pic of his cab recently, that was rear ended, and by his discreption of the accident, was no wear near rolling over, but must have lifted his rear end just enough to activate the anti roll safety feature. Now if there were kids in the back seat when that occurred, I bet they would at the very least need to change their pants.

I wonder if this accident will appear on Carfax.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:19 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Fasttr

The chances of that are slim and while the kids would be scared - they would likely be scared anyway with a rear end impact strong enough to lift the car but at the end of the day they would be SAFE

There will always be rare, minute percentage events but if we're preparing for that then we need a giant truck and not any sports car.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Cab's are fun and surprisingly quiet T
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Cab's are fun and surprisingly quiet T
+1

A 911 cabriolet is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:45 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

When the wx is nice, nothing better than putting the top down and driving the 911. When the wx isn't nice, top up is fine too.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:48 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a PDO '13 S Cab nearly two years ago and love it! Daily driver, and even if I am just slogging through a commute without every really "using" the car, it makes me smile. I live in NorCal, so it's top down most days for ~9-10 months of the year, and as others have stated, the sounds and other sensations are amazing. If you have PSE, top down can make every drive fun, without exceeding the speed limits. I have a 7 year old who loves it, and every friend he's had in the back seat has been amazed at how much fun it can be.

For the street, I've never thought "hmm, this thing doesn't feel quite as stiff as a coupe," or "wow, I wish I had a coupe as that last curve really scared me!" For autocross, DEs, or other light-duty track use, these cars would be fine, but I'd go for a dedicated track car for anything more.

The popup safety things might concern me if there were lots of reports of them going off in inappropriate situations, but I don't believe that's the case. I'm glad to see how tall they are, and if anything, I have better peace of mind now!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:57 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure how old/ tall your kids are but with the Cab the back of the backseats do lean forward. So that's something you need to consider if this is the only car you have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should i switch to S cabriolet?