Sponsored by: Road Spy

Noo-b here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:45 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Noo-b here!

I've joined this forum a week or so ago in an effort to educate myself. I've never owned a Porsche and have always admired the TT. I'm probably experiencing midlife crisis; my wife calls it MANopause. Whatever!

I haven't owned a 2 door sports car since I got married 20+ years ago and now that the last of my children are approaching driving age, I can finally start looking for a true 2 door sports car! I'm looking at maybe a year or two from now, I'll be purchasing a TT or TTS. I haven't really decided if I want to spend the money for a new or save a bit and buy a very slightly used. I still have to buy 2 more cars for my 2 teeny boppers. Kids are expensive, aren't they?! Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if we didn't have children. I'm pretty sure that my garage would have at least 3 super cars. Oh, I digress. Anyways, we shall see. Please feel free to chime in with suggestions. This will be my main DD but I'll also have an airport car.

I plan on attending a Porsche driving school in the near future in L.A. or Vegas just to get a feel for the car, especially since I've never driven a Porsche (ridden in a few). I'm also planing on tracking my car and was wondering if it's recommended to attend a Porsche driving course or two? I'm not new to high HP/torque vehicles but I have never tracked a car. Lastly, does the Burmester put out a much better/tighter bass than the Bose? I'm not looking for that deafening thump to win any competitions but a tight bass is a must to rock onto my hard rock files and occasional metal. I've had the Bose system in several cars and I have not been impressed with the muffled bass produced by a cheap paper cone. My S6 has a Bose and I ended up installing an amp+after market subwoofer to improve the bass. I'm okay with the mids and highs in my car...it was just lacked the bass.

Sorry for the long post and look forward reading your replies. Thank you in advance!
Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome..
See if you can find one to rent along with a few other choices ..C7 Corvette, Audi R8, GTR just for a subjective comparison..I think you will know which you prefer after that..
Old 10-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Sounds like you have good problems. No shame in starting out with a 997.2 TTS or 991.1, but the 991 is a better track car. I'd suggest you start out just going on Motorsportsreg.com and finding a PCA or Audi club event and sign up as a beginner student. You will be assigned an instructor to ride in the car with you at all times for the first few days, so no worries there. Porsche school is fun, but you will get a better introduction to tracking by just showing up and being a noob - the exact same way every other person there did, too. With a TTS, you will have no shortage of people that want to "help" as long as you are respectful and appreciative of their guidance - listen to what you hear from the salty ole dogs about tire setup.

There's really no better everyday supercar that any recent TTS. Test drive a few brands/models around town for the "everyday" aspect, and then know they are all fantastic on track. (The 991 is the most forgiving, but be sure to represent for us TT owners, because we are outside the "purist" movement. Don't let us down!!)
Old 10-25-2016, 07:51 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I'll be getting the 991.2 for sure, TT or TTS. In your opinion, would you say that the TTS is worth the extra $20K from a performance oriented perspective? I'm going to at least do a few mods to include a new exhaust, ECU tune, and possibly lowering springs. Speaking of a ECU tune, is it required to get aftermarket intercoolers for a stage II tune?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nanook
Welcome..
See if you can find one to rent along with a few other choices ..C7 Corvette, Audi R8, GTR just for a subjective comparison..I think you will know which you prefer after that..
The Z06 is nice but I've never been a vette fan and the C7 Z06 is still not a very good DD, IMO. I love the R8 V10 Plus but I'm kind of "Audi'd out". A local dealer had a demo R8 V10 (not the plus) for $70K off. I almost thought about snatching it but I wasn't getting that "kid in a candy or toy store" like excitement, if you know what I mean. I get that way with the 911 TT/TTS; I may have a Porsche fetish. Now the wife is getting the itch also and wants to graduate from her clunky GL450 into a Cayenne.
The new GTR Nismo is a good choice also but the interior is still lacking, IMHO. Besides, I find the exterior design a bit awkward for my taste. I want a daily driver with nice ergonomics and creature comforts that I can also abuse on the track once in a while.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 215 Likes on 129 Posts

Luckily you live in SoCal because Porsche decided to build a racetrack there where you can rent a Porsche and drive it for 90 minutes on the track. They have most of the models made available up to a GT3 and a Turbo S.

If you wanted to test some Porsches and get some track time it seems like the ideal place for you to go.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I'll be getting the 991.2 for sure, TT or TTS. In your opinion, would you say that the TTS is worth the extra $20K from a performance oriented perspective? I'm going to at least do a few mods to include a new exhaust, ECU tune, and possibly lowering springs. Speaking of a ECU tune, is it required to get aftermarket intercoolers for a stage II tune?
I didn't consider the TT. The TTS is worth every penny. Sharkwerks makes a great exhaust, I don't think a tune does enough to risk the warranty, and definitely get Techart springs. There are tunes that don't require upgraded intercoolers, but I have not tried them. The last thing you need to do is upgrade the tires to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for track use, and Pagid RSC1 brake pads last much longer on track, and Awe tuning makes a simple but excellent wind buffeting killer that keeps the car from sounding like a helicopter is landing in the back seat when you are going over about 100mph.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I didn't consider the TT. The TTS is worth every penny. Sharkwerks makes a great exhaust, I don't think a tune does enough to risk the warranty, and definitely get Techart springs. There are tunes that don't require upgraded intercoolers, but I have not tried them. The last thing you need to do is upgrade the tires to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for track use, and Pagid RSC1 brake pads last much longer on track, and Awe tuning makes a simple but excellent wind buffeting killer that keeps the car from sounding like a helicopter is landing in the back seat when you are going over about 100mph.
Agree on Sharkwerks exhaust and Techart springs. It appears that Awe-Tuning has a good sounding exhaust also. In regards to tuning, I know VW is cracking down pretty hard on mods/tunes. I find ECU/TCU tunes addicting. TTS is one of the most potent super cars out there but it's never enough.... "juuuuuust a little more".
Thanks for the brakes & tires ideas, and the rest!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 AM
oebb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Do you know how loud your car is with the sharkwerks exhaust? Could it run on a track day with a 100dB limit?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:52 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by oebb
Do you know how loud your car is with the sharkwerks exhaust? Could it run on a track day with a 100dB limit?
With SharkWerks and stock cats, yes, I've run on a 94db limit track without issue. Can't speak to SharkWerks with sport cats or cat-less though.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I'm also planing on tracking my car and was wondering if it's recommended to attend a Porsche driving course or two?
I would recommend, highly, Spring Mountain school's Corvette School:

https://www.springmountainmotorsport...riving-schools

Yeah, they're Corvettes. Get over it

1) A LOT of training-bang for the buck
2) Beating up someone else's car
3) Worth ~20 Porsche Club DE days in Green and Yellow groups.
Edit: 4) One hour from Las Vegas

Lastly, does the Burmester put out a much better/tighter bass than the Bose?
Yes. In addition the clarity and linearity of the Burmester is astonishing. (The linearity assertion is backed-up by objective spectrum analysis.) And I have heard things in my library that I've never heard before.

I'll be getting the 991.2 for sure, TT or TTS. In your opinion, would you say that the TTS is worth the extra $20K from a performance oriented perspective?
This was the decision I faced 18 months ago and my answer was no. The ~$18k difference between my TT and TTS builds came down to two differences:
- PCCB brakes
- 40hp.

I did not want the PCCB brakes as they are twice as expensive per track mile as steel brakes and are too 'grabby' and hard to modulate for my taste.

$18k for an additional 40 hp over 520 (similar torque increase) was not worth it for me.

However, the .2 may be different. We (or at least I) don't know if the throttle-plate-open-on-overrun feature is TTS only or also on the TT. 40hp plus that feature might be worth $18k. Maybe.

The Z06 is nice but I've never been a vette fan and the C7 Z06 is still not a very good DD, IMO.
Yup. Have one. Weekend dollar-to-smile ratio is better than a 911 but the Weekday ratio is very-much not.

Last edited by worf928; 10-27-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

PCCB are truly awesome, and not actually much more expensive than steel. Rotors can do more than 50 track days and still pass Porsche density testing, but steel rotors have to be replaced every time you change pads. They feel great to me, too. Different strokes, I guess.

As far as Sharkwerks, I've never run at a db limited track, so don't know the true sound level. The TTS is not as loud of an engine, making more of a "jet engine" sound due to so much air passing through, not a deep sound like a vet or a high pitched sound like a cup car.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I hate to do this since most of the time, these threads turn into a pi**ing contest but I'm going to ask anyway because this inquiring mind wants to know....
What are all yall's thoughts on 991.2 TTS vs. TT? More specifically, if $ was no object, is the extra 40HP & torque worth the additional $20K? This seems like a simple tune will fix. I guess I should test drive them both but from what I'm reading, there's isn't much of a difference, butt dyno wise. Consider in mind that I may make it out to the track 4 times a year.
I hope I didn't open the Pandora's box....too late!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:56 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

TTS sells much more than the TT, so customers overall are voting. I also have had a few TTS, so there's my vote. If you are going to do it, do it right.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:37 AM
mark12345
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great points from member's feedback.
Personally I could've went went with a TTS but finally decided on a new 2016 TT because I didn't want PCCB, center locking wheels and believe the TT is fast enough. I haven't looked back. Either choose, TT or TTS you can't go wrong. Good luck

Quick Reply: Noo-b here!