Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19" after-market rims on 991.2...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 19" after-market rims on 991.2...?

Can someone help ? I want to retain ride comfort (on our pretty poor roads) and steering feel and, therefore, have stayed with the OEM 19" wheels on my 991.2 C2 manual. Normally, I'd go straight to BBS for a replacement wheel but they are only offering the CH-R style in Europe for 19" but I don't think CH-Rs do a 911 justice.

Ideally, I'd like to keep a '70s vibe going (I've specced a PTS/irish green) and would like a split-rim look. Plus, I really don't want to go to 20".

A further problem is that I'm in the UK and don't want to import from the US or Japan unless I can get a copper-bottomed guarantee that suppliers have already fitted 19" to a 991.2 C2. Most have done 20" on 991.2 4S's which means a much easier ET at the rear. The ET on the C2 and C2S is a weird 76 - very different from '4' body style in the 991.2. Hitting a wall at the moment. All help gratefully received !!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,342 Likes on 789 Posts

What about something like this from BBS Motorsport? We ran the 19" E88 on our 991.1 Carrera S in 19"

Name:  aIMG_5148_zpse84fe451.jpg
Views: 5558
Size:  4.58 MB

Name:  aIMG_5130_zps9d7d3c0e.jpg
Views: 3770
Size:  4.66 MB

Name:  aIMG_5071_zps5828f2e4.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  4.75 MB

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (12-04-2020)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

I like your thinking...but there's a 'but' and a big one if your BBS Motorsport...Hey, you know what the Germans are like;-)

Motorsport wheels are NOT designed (as they say) to fulfil 'street work criteria'. They are not guaranteed to hold up against the wear & tear that normal street conditions will throw at a wheel. That's their 'official' line.

I readily acknowledge that Motorsport 'split rims' are designed in such a way that components can be 'cheaply' replaced when track-work takes its toll but handling pot-holes is not part of a track wheel's remit....for kinda obvious reasons. That's their reasoning, and I sort of accept that.

I believe that BBS USA can supply a 11J x 19 (rather than the OEM 11.5J you get on the rears of the 991.2 C2/S) in both the RS-GT and LM-R style but nobody seems to know why Porsche have specced ET76 at the rear on a 991.2, nor have they (as yet) had any experience of putting on a BBS 19" on a 'standard' 991.GEN TWO.

I guess if there's any experience out there so far on a 991.2.... it's been on the 4 and 4S. However, I'm getting nothing more than 'Hey, we've not done a C2 or C2S yet'. Also, the 42-44mm extra width of the '4 cars' means the ET reverts back to ET50 at the rear.... which makes things a lot easier and broadens the rim choice substantially.

I told you things weren't easy didn't I ?? But many thanks for your input so far: it's appreciated.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving your thread to the 991 forum.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
What about something like this from BBS Motorsport? We ran the 19" E88 on our 991.1 Carrera S in 19"

I like that look...were you able to run 325's?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Re your MY 2013 991.1 C2S. Would be good to know the ETs on those rear 'Fuchs-alike' rear rims ? The rims themselves: are they OEM items from Porsche ? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by BertoneBertoni
Re your MY 2013 991.1 C2S. Would be good to know the ETs on those rear 'Fuchs-alike' rear rims ? The rims themselves: are they OEM items from Porsche ? Thanks in advance.
You might want to check out this company. I am partial to the GT Classic...

http://autosportseuropean.com/wheels/porsche/
Old 10-24-2016, 10:50 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Yep: just love that Fuchs-look. Would be interesting to find out the maker since Autoparts seems to be selling 'Victor' wheels on their website...or are these 'Vossen'....? Plus, they don't seem to mention the rear ETs which are really odd on the Gen 2: ie. ET76. Most of the time (and even on the Gen 2 4 and 4S they are ET50) Porsche hover around ET 45 to 55, but they've gone a bit weird on the C2/C2S Gen 2 at the rear. Cannot find out why so far. Any info from the US would be appreciated since I think you've got more opportunities your side to get a physical car to these suppliers to actually check the 'clearances'....
Old 10-24-2016, 11:29 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,342 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
I like that look...were you able to run 325's?
Thank you. Yes, we ran 265/35ZR19 and 325/30ZR19 in the Pirelli Trofeo
Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I was going to do 19s, but 265/35ZR19 and 325/30ZR19 will make the tire diameter 10mm smaller than stock front/rear. Although they're proportionally smaller (no ECU issues), I'll be left with a 5mm wheel gap larger than OEM. I'm trying to avoid coilovers or KW HAS, but 5mm additional wheel gap would've pushed me to get KW HAS or Bilstein Damptronic. So I settled for 20" track setup.

If you love the mesh look, you really can't go wrong with HRE Classic 300. They're under $7K USD and I'm sure they guarantee their fitment, but be prepared to wait about 8-12 weeks for a set.

I'm not a fan of BBS mesh on a modern 911, sorry. The Convex look to me is "yuck." But to each their own...
Old 10-24-2016, 01:56 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

No need to apologise. Wheel designs are hugely subjective.... even on the same car !! I suspect that BBS RS suit 993s more than 991s, although I still think they are the most iconic of wheel designs and much copied which, of course, is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess ;-)

As for the HRE Classic 300, then, yes, I get your point but they're probably more akin to the BBS LM and LM-R than the RS...and, of course, you have our friend at SupremePower extolling the virtues of the Motorsport E88s which are a variation of the same theme, too. I've also looked at HRE 501s which get closer to the 'full mesh' design but they're probably a tad too busy.

My main concern with HRE, Brixton Forged etc. is that there's a lot of mixed reports and misinformation about their 'integral' quality. Whilst it's great to have a CNC-milled billet I hear that rims and the billets themselves come out of a limited range of suppliers whose base capacity to make these components doesn't compete with our German friends....mmm....or maybe that's just scare tactics. I must say that it's heartening to see HRE with a Stuttgart base these days and TUV approval (though oddly Austrian not German TUV...)... Any comfort info you have on HRE quality is always appreciated since side of The Pond :-)

Last edited by BertoneBertoni; 10-24-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-24-2016, 02:56 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

No need to apologise. Wheel designs are hugely subjective.... even on the same car !! I suspect that BBS RS suit 993s more than 991s, although I still think they are the most iconic of wheel designs and much copied which, of course, is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess ;-)

As for the HRE Classic 300, then, yes, I get your point but they're probably more akin to the BBS LM and LM-R than the RS...and, of course, you have our friend at SupremePower extolling the virtues of the Motorsport E88s which are a variation of the same theme, too. I've also looked at HRE 501s which get closer to the 'full mesh' design but they're probably a tad too busy.

My main concern with HRE, Brixton Forged etc. is that there's a lot of mixed reports and misinformation about their 'integral' quality. Whilst it's great to have a CNC-milled billet I hear that rims and the billets themselves come out of a limited range of suppliers whose base capacity to make these components doesn't compete with our German friends....mmm....or maybe that's just scare tactics. I must say that it's heartening to see HRE with a Stuttgart base these days and TUV approval (though oddly Austrian not German TUV...)... Any comfort info you have on HRE quality is always appreciated since side of The Pond :-)

We have already done the 991.2 Carrera and have the perfect fitment specs for it as you can see -

HRE is the industry standard when it comes to manufacturing and build quality. Many members on here, many members on other forums, personal clients of mine, and even other brands in the industry cant attest to that.

The HRE Classic 300 in 19" form would look beyond extraordinary on your car. Shoot me over a PM so I can answer more of your questions. Would love to earn your business.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 10-25-2016, 11:29 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone help ? I want to retain ride comfort (on our pretty poor roads) and steering feel and, therefore, have stayed with the OEM 19" wheels on my 991.2 C2 manual. Normally, I'd go straight to BBS for a replacement wheel but they are only offering the CH-R style in Europe for 19" but I don't think CH-Rs do a 911 justice.

Ideally, I'd like to keep a '70s vibe going (I've specced a PTS/irish green) and would like a split-rim look. Plus, I really don't want to go to 20".

A further problem is that I'm in the UK and don't want to import from the US or Japan unless I can get a copper-bottomed guarantee that suppliers have already fitted 19" to a 991.2 C2. Most have done 20" on 991.2 4S's which means a much easier ET at the rear. The ET on the C2 and C2S is a weird 76 - very different from '4' body style in the 991.2. Hitting a wall at the moment. All help gratefully received !!
Try the sport classics. I love em and they will look sick on irish green!
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
SDM5 (03-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteyDaddy
Try the sport classics. I love em and they will look sick on irish green!
Nice! Thanks for posting the photos.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:37 PM
MikeF_Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep: just love that Fuchs-look. Would be interesting to find out the maker since Autoparts seems to be selling 'Victor' wheels on their website...or are these 'Vossen'....? .
Hey, its always fun yet challenging to pick the right wheels for your ride. We do have a U.K Distributor and we visit there yearly for our Vossen Owner's Meet to connect with owners.

We do make 19 's as well in a variety of styles and production methods. Flow Formed, Vossen x Work 2 piece wheels and our Vossen Forged Series.

Some examples of mesh wheels below in 20" sizes. SEMA is next week and we are debuting some amazing new designs which might be closer to what you are looking for. There are some amazing choices in this thread.

Good luck!

For Vossen Work, I assume the VWS-1 would be most favorable. Its offered in a vast array of colors, finishes and fitments.

Quick Reply: 19" after-market rims on 991.2...?