996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Spin on oil filter - alternatives

Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Spin on oil filter - alternatives

For those of you who have the spin on oil filter adapter installed. Which filters do you use?

When I ordered my adapter online with design911 in the UK I checked the box for an additional filter to be supplied. No type was mentioned when ordering. It turned out to be a K&N spin-on filter (if I remember correctly it was the HP-1007 Gold)

Now my Indy saw that I had it installed and for some reason he is not so keen on K&N for oil filters. It seemed they had some issues over the past, such as filters leaking, even coming completely loose etc. When looking on the internet I come across some issues with motorbikes some years ago. He made a statement that K&N should stick with making air filters and not oil filters

So far so good, his experience and his opinion. Since I am not so knowledgeable in all this matters I am willing to follow his advice on swapping the filter for a brand with a better name with respect to manufacturing oil filters.

* So I was curious on what fellow rennlisters are using on their cars?
A quick search revealed Napa, I came also accross Mobil M1-107.

* What are the options and alternatives? Size, flowrate

* What should be considered when choosing the right filter: i.e. see that some spin-on filters still have a bypass

My oil change interval is in between 7.5-10k so that should not be a concern!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:52 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Silk
For those of you who have the spin on oil filter adapter installed. Which filters do you use?

When I ordered my adapter online with design911 in the UK I checked the box for an additional filter to be supplied. No type was mentioned when ordering. It turned out to be a K&N spin-on filter (if I remember correctly it was the HP-1007 Gold)

Now my Indy saw that I had it installed and for some reason he is not so keen on K&N for oil filters. It seemed they had some issues over the past, such as filters leaking, even coming completely loose etc. When looking on the internet I come across some issues with motorbikes some years ago. He made a statement that K&N should stick with making air filters and not oil filters

So far so good, his experience and his opinion. Since I am not so knowledgeable in all this matters I am willing to follow his advice on swapping the filter for a brand with a better name with respect to manufacturing oil filters.

* So I was curious on what fellow rennlisters are using on their cars?
A quick search revealed Napa, I came also accross Mobil M1-107.

* What are the options and alternatives? Size, flowrate

* What should be considered when choosing the right filter: i.e. see that some spin-on filters still have a bypass

My oil change interval is in between 7.5-10k so that should not be a concern!
From the IMS Solution guys:

The filter used is a Napa Gold 1348, which crosses over to filters manufactured by Mobil 1, K&N, Mahle, Mann, and other quality filters worldwide, making oil changes quick and clean. The supplied filter uses a similar bypass valve to the factory filter cartridge arrangement, but at a higher bypass pressure. The supplied Napa Gold 1348 uses a superior resin impregnated media to capture more contaminants than an OE filter. The size of filter used provides a safe ground clearance without sacrificing function or performance.
The following users liked this post:
sierra73 (02-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 108 Posts

Napa Gold 1042. I'll buy a half dozen at a time and always check/swap it after track days. I do miss the ease of checking the cartridge filters but have found using a dremel to cut these open at the base works pretty well.
sierra73 (02-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

"My oil change interval is in between 7.5-10k so that should not be a concern!"

Napa Gold 1042 (?) - go to the LN website and do a search (it's not the same filter as used for the "Solution" IMSB btw). Also, reduce your oil change interval to 4-5k miles or 6 months - whichever comes first. Good luck
Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 696 Posts

99 C2 @138K+ DD - change oil <5K, use M1-107....drive on and not second guessing choice
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Silk
Pro

Ok thanks ... you guys are superfast in giving advice!

I am changing oil 2 to 3 times per year, So no problem. I see I had my km/mls conversion a little off. I rechecked it, I am doing 5-6k change intervals. Driving the 996 16-17k per year

If I want the Napa I will have to source a dozen ... Here in Europe they do not sell Napa. So I will need to order overseas in the US and get them shipped.

Or there has to be an an equal alternative from another respected manufacturer which is available here?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
[B] go to the LN website and do a search (it's not the same filter as used for the "Solution" IMSB btw).
I was just going to point that out.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Or there has to be an an equal alternative from another respected manufacturer which is available here?
It might help if you specify where HERE is
HINT: Edit your avatar so my question will not be asked again
Old 10-04-2016, 10:10 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks ... you guys are superfast in giving advice!

I am changing oil 2 to 3 times per year, So no problem. I see I had my km/mls conversion a little off. I rechecked it, I am doing 5-6k change intervals. Driving the 996 16-17k per year

If I want the Napa I will have to source a dozen ... Here in Europe they do not sell Napa. So I will need to order overseas in the US and get them shipped.

It looks like "here" is somewhere in Europe... In any case, do a "cross reference" on the Napa Gold filters, and you'll get a list of the same filters (or nearly the same) filters with different branding...
Old 10-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Silk
Pro

Yes somewhere in Europe is good enough for me to source the parts as there is no customs and extra taxes involved when goods are bought and shipped within Europe. Mostly the shipping fees are very reasonable too if not at all free from a certain value onwards.

BTW I am located in The Netherlands ... maybe should adapt my avatar yes!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Silk
Pro

Still wondering where K&N got this so called bad name ... Searching it I only encounter issues that bikers were reporting back in 2012 with leaking oil filters from K&N.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:34 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Still wondering where K&N got this so called bad name ... Searching it I only encounter issues that bikers were reporting back in 2012 with leaking oil filters from K&N.
He probably heard it from a friends sisters brother in-law who was a "really good Porsche mechanic"...
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Silk
Pro

Should be something like that!
Old 10-04-2016, 12:53 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the number of hand but I use a standard WIX filter. There is zero need for anything else unless you like spending money.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The only benefit that the K&N has is a stronger filter body.

When developing these components we found that the sweet spot wasn't just with filtration, but also with oil volume and pressure at various RPM points, and oil temperatures/ viscosity. Often times the best filter from a filtration stand point, is not the best from a flow perspective.

Forget the ratings that you see published, don't even look at those.
peku800 (04-26-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spin on oil filter - alternatives