Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER first Porsche purchase buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 PM
himmelfrhat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER first Porsche purchase buy

I have really been looking for a 2009 or newer Cayman S (I am a paranoid individual and the IMS problems terrifies me) however on the way home from work the other day I spotted a Cayman S in the lot of a very small, run-down looking dealership. I got out and checked the car out and it looks to be in great shape. It is a 2007 Cayman S manual and they are asking $25k and it only has 23k miles on it.

This seems like a great deal given they are asking $25k (so I assume I could get it for even less) I called and spoke to the dealer and he says it was his friends car and he is selling it for him and that he has the paperwork from where a dealership has already done a PPI and shows it is good to go (I would still get my own just to be sure it isnt a sham). Would you guys attempt to go forward with this deal, or would holding out for a 2009+ be the better option? Not only will I not have to worry about the IMS on a 2009 but I would also have a more up to date entertainment system.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:09 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

How much is your peace of mind worth?

I went with a '09 Cayman (versus a 987.1 CS) even though it was a large premium. I sleep well at night, at least with regard to my Porsche. Everything else? Not so much.

You might also look at an '09+ Cayman (non-S). The performance difference is negligible between a 987.1 CS and a 987.2 Base unless you are going to make your living on how fast your car is.

Good luck,

Eddie
Old 09-27-2016, 04:02 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
How much is your peace of mind worth?

I went with a '09 Cayman (versus a 987.1 CS) even though it was a large premium. I sleep well at night, at least with regard to my Porsche. Everything else? Not so much.

You might also look at an '09+ Cayman (non-S). The performance difference is negligible between a 987.1 CS and a 987.2 Base unless you are going to make your living on how fast your car is.

Good luck,

Eddie
Or, here are some slightly different opinions.....
IMS problems in 987.1s are very very rare. I own both a 987.1 (a Cayman S) and a 987.2 (a base Boxster) and I sleep well not worrying about either one. We bought the 987.2 because my wife wanted the PDK trans which first came out in 2009 in the 987.2 cars.
Having no IMS bearing to worry about is certainly a plus for 987.2 cars, but I trust statistics and the law of averages a lot in my daily life and so I tend to trust the 987.1 cars.

Also, the difference between a 987.1 S (with the 3.4 engine) and a 987.2 base (with the 2.9 engine) is most definitely noticeable to me. The PDK that I have on my 987.2 helps the 2.9 to stay up in revs and helps minimize the horsepower gap, but the difference in torque is what is most apparent. Torque is what a person feels or notices first in day-to-day traffic driving, and that is what, to me, is most noticeable between the two.
This is not to say that the base car is not fun. I have come to understand that it can be more enjoyable at times to drive a lesser HP 987 because the handling and balance of the mid-engine design seems to be more apparent somehow. And the base engine has enough HP and torque to be plenty zippy around town and it will only take a second or two longer to reach illegal speeds compared to the "S" when the road opens up.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER first Porsche purchase buy