Talk me off the ledge...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Talk me off the ledge...

Ok here it goes...

About three weeks ago I bought my 14 GT3 knowing it had a branded title on Carfax but the actual title was clear.

I finally got it all wrapped and started driving it.
It hit me this weekend that I might lose my a$$ on it down the road due to this issue unless I sell it private party to a Porsche guy who actually understands it was part of the whole fiasco with Porsche.

I started communications with a few dealers and have always wondered what it would be like to own a GT-R... the last couple of years (14, 15 and 16) the car had been flawless with no TSB's or recalls and Nissan had dialed it in.
Outside of the fact that I would have to take it in to a Nissan dealer for warranty and repairs, I like the car itself. I am used to BMW and Porsche for the last decade so service is top notch.

I am at a predicament to trade the GT3 at a 14K loss and get the GT-R brand new title in hand and walk away. Would you guys advise me against it or to go for it?

I know this is a P forum, but I see you guys do write up on other cars (ACR, GT 350...) I figured in the light of the spirit i would actually ask you for an opinion here and I welcome all your comments.

Kino
Old 08-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTR is impressive but is a toad. Great on street but meh on track. And if you are wrapped around axle on what if I sell instead of enjoying the now you are destined for eternal frustration. And the GTR is mighty long in tooth and will tank if Nissan re-vamps it as is past due.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:36 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I owned a 2009 GTR for 3 years and a 2012 for 3 years....I sold my White '12 for the GT3 and it was by far the best trade I've made to date on any car....and that was with the fact I paid in essence $9K over 3 years to drive the car....the earlier models at the lower MSRP really held their value.....

there is no comparison to the driving experience between the 2....the Porsche brings out an emotional side the Nissan just can't....and honestly the way the MSRP on the Nissan's have climbed with very little
In the way of changes you have he less depreciating car IMO....enjoy it and don't look back....

And the $14K loss on the Nissan will come mighty quick when new cars sit and Nissan offers a manufacturer rebate in the range of $10K like they've done in years past.

Enjoy the GT3
Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

3 weeks?

That's how long you've owned the GT3?

I would wait maybe 3 months before deciding whether the GT3 is worth having for you, even with the branded title.

That said, I don't think it's ever a good idea to buy or sell a car based on its predicted value, resale or otherwise, down the road.

Good luck with your decision. If you get the GT-R come back and let us know how you like it.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:23 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

GT3 to GT-R
Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really think you need to give the GT3 a bit more time, atleast a bit more than 3 weeks. You might just regret it if you trade it in.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:54 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

It's a toy. I never keep a toy that I don't like. I would sell it yourself. Everyone that knows much about Porsche GT cars knows all the 14's had an engine change. So what.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:55 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not comfortable owning the GT3 you should sell it while the demand is there. Use the proceeds to purchase a car you are happy owning and does not make you uncomfortable owning it. You will lose your shirt trading it on a GT-R.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

You are the only one that can make such decision. Personally I would not trade. That said do whatever gives you peace of mind.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:07 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

I want to make sure I at least make something known; I have no issues with the GT3 and it is not about if or if I don't like the car. I do like it quite a bit and never have owned a GT-R.
I posted the thread in here with the title the way it is...
My concern is only due to the fact I trade cars often. I was just trying to unload it before it takes a bigger hit, nothing more.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Honestly- you should of never bought this car if after 3 weeks you are trying to unload to save a few $$$ later. Cars depreciate unless you get a little lucky or have the money to store some potential unicorns.

Now- I would trade it because you would not of posted this unless it was torturing you. Time to move on to the next torture.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:35 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The way things are going you and a not insignificant number of others may well end up with another engine. People that know the car know the issues. There's always someone that will pay for a well documented car. Keep up with the maintenance and records. However, if you have the itch for a GTR and want to pay to scratch go for it.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:50 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Honestly- you should of never bought this car if after 3 weeks you are trying to unload to save a few $$$ later. Cars depreciate unless you get a little lucky or have the money to store some potential unicorns. Now- I would trade it because you would not of posted this unless it was torturing you. Time to move on to the next torture.
Torture? No. It's a toy like a couple have said.
I'm just being realistic and again, asking for you guys' opinions. So far I'm taking everyone's post into consideration.

Some of the guys that track their cars know more about track worthy vehicles, I don't. I won't sit here behind my "keyboard" and pretend I know about something if I don't.
From the few reviews, the GT-R will lose more.
I looked over on cars.com to see what they are selling for used, went back to 2012 because the MSRP has changed, I believe it took a good hike in 14... And they seem to lose marginally similar to a TT would percentage wise and I saw more miles riven on those cars than P cars.

I tried to buy more warranty from Porsche on my car for the peace of mind and was told that on the GT3's there aren't any, go figure. They offered me an outside source warranty but they wouldn't cover any damages if I tracked the car...
Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I owned a '14 with clear title but carfax showed as buyback. Traded it for my RS allocation. Wouldn't have let it go otherwise. It was a special machine. It's not going to be worth more than 14k less than a similar gt3 just because of the carfax thing in my opinion. As others have said, people that know gt cars will understand the history. Just keep it well documented, as all of us I'm sure will do. If it's a toy, keep it or sell it based on your enjoyment of it. You are not going to take a huge bath relative to others with '14 gt3's.

My 2c
Old 08-21-2016, 01:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I won't admonish you or try to second guess the rationale you're using to consider making this swap, although I do agree with others who believe that selling your car based on resale concerns is a mistake. But you asked to be "talked off the ledge" so I will just say that, with all due respect to the performance of the Nissan, there is no way in hell I would ever consider trading my GT3 for a GT-R. They are not comparable in any way that is meaningful....at least to me.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge...