Sponsored by:

Trying to understand Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 PM
frankee4u
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to understand Porsche!

Maybe I'm new to Porsche but I don't understand why I feel shafted before my RS arrives

GT3 991.1 amazing and love mine

GT3RS 991.1 - amazing - pushed hard and finally got an allocation for the 4L 500 hp arriving in 3 months

911 R - a dream that was reserved for super VIP and 918 VIP program. No luck

GT3 991.2 - the perfect blend of 911 R/GT3RS. A manual 4L 500 hp pops up making me rethink the RS - spend less, get the same power, maybe last GT NA car, and it's a manual.

I'm super excited for all the people getting the GT3.2 in manual - this is a buzzkill for my RS.1 that hasn't arrived and the manual 997 collector/owners/enthusiast.

feeling a little disappointed about the pace in which they are cannibalizing previous models/gens.

Does anyone feel this way?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

There have been hints, spy shots and speculations but I would wait until the new car is presented. If .2 is NA and manual then all the VIP that bought the 911R are gonna get pissed, is Porsche going to do that intentionally?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can relate. Similar situation, with mine just having arrived. But for me it's more about making the engine more bulletproof. If the 991.2 gt3 comes out with same horsepower, manual, AND oiling "fix", it will affect my happiness with the car to some extent, especially if I have to pay down the line to apply fixes. But I really do love these cars, and the RS is special, longevity issues or not.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

nothing new here. only difference is Porsche is correcting lack of manual choice in 991.1 GT3 and this has been well telegraphed for almost a year. otherwise it's the same progression we've seen with prior GT3 series. enjoy what you have now.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 505 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by frankee4u
Maybe I'm new to Porsche but I don't understand why I feel shafted before my RS arrives

GT3 991.1 amazing and love mine

GT3RS 991.1 - amazing - pushed hard and finally got an allocation for the 4L 500 hp arriving in 3 months

911 R - a dream that was reserved for super VIP and 918 VIP program. No luck

GT3 991.2 - the perfect blend of 911 R/GT3RS. A manual 4L 500 hp pops up making me rethink the RS - spend less, get the same power, maybe last GT NA car, and it's a manual.

I'm super excited for all the people getting the GT3.2 in manual - this is a buzzkill for my RS.1 that hasn't arrived and the manual 997 collector/owners/enthusiast.

feeling a little disappointed about the pace in which they are cannibalizing previous models/gens.

Does anyone feel this way?
I said this earlier this week, an RS will ALWAYS be a more special car than the standard car. ALWAYS. Both cars on the track will easy your pain in a hurry. And the RS badge is still the king...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpacione
I can relate. Similar situation, with mine just having arrived. But for me it's more about making the engine more bulletproof. If the 991.2 gt3 comes out with same horsepower, manual, AND oiling "fix", it will affect my happiness with the car to some extent, especially if I have to pay down the line to apply fixes. But I really do love these cars, and the RS is special, longevity issues or not.
I also can relate to this as I feel the same way about my 991.1 GT3. I am on the list for a 991.2 GT3 RS which I hear is 4.2L and I want another PDK but that may change between now and ordering time.
As far as the R goes it's still a limited production car that Porsche will tout, whether the market responds with higher values remains to be seen. I think not.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:09 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I said this earlier this week, an RS will ALWAYS be a more special car than the standard car. ALWAYS. Both cars on the track will easy your pain in a hurry. And the RS badge is still the king...
Agreed. There is always been a natural progression. Even if the .2 has a mt and 500 hp it will still not be an RS nor have the wide body, cf panels, vents, magnesium roof, special engine internals etc...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 AM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Even if the .2 has a mt and 500 hp it will still not be an RS nor have the wide body, cf panels, vents, magnesium roof, special engine internals etc...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheer up man. Only Porsche knows the spec for .2GT3. Don't think we will see the new RS until 2019 and hope it's not TT by then.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

It's just progress.

Don't think too hard about it. Just the way things work, not just with Porsche, but with the world.

Just be happy with what you have. Worry about what's coming when it gets here.

Enjoy your RS.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waxer
Agreed. There is always been a natural progression. Even if the .2 has a mt and 500 hp it will still not be an RS nor have the wide body, cf panels, vents, magnesium roof, special engine internals etc...
Engine will be a copy paste or even better but with detune HP to not make the RS posers mad, no difference in internal parts

the car's body will not be complicated as the RS and will not get all the expensive parts and exotic material.

It will not be an RS but it will be faster than 3RS.1
then 3RS.2 will set a new benchmark.

but still no 9000rpm
Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the exact same thoughts this morning and have asked my dealer to sign me up for a 991.2 GT3 if it's coming in manual with a 4.0L engine. True the RS will always be that step higher on the food chain but I'm after the whole experience and as you say, it's quite a bit cheaper ($100k cheaper in Aus)

But what if the RS was the last NA GT RS car? Then you'd be glad you're getting a 911.1 RS surely...
Old 07-28-2016, 03:25 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think being able to build an RS to my spec means more to me than what's coming at this point. Just feel grateful to have one. Ipse's advise is wise - just enjoy what you have. Easy to get caught up in the game and that's just a revolving door.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Guys do not try to play "invest my nest egg to drive it AND THEN flip it" games.

Just stop.

The real Flippers are connected, dad's dealership, uncle is on the board, mom's the cleaning lady etc. and they have to flip 10 cars to keep one.

Just drive what you have- but if you drive it and love it- just buy the next one and don't sell.

Instead of flipping one for the other, don't buy anything until you can afford to keep this and the one you own already. Be more thoughtful in your purchases and eventually you'll have a real collection. If you have to pass on the .1 for the .2 every time, you'd have a 2011, a 2018/19, a 2025, etc. you can 1000% afford to buy and keep them all if you spread them out like that.

You don't need to keep a 07 GT3, 08RS 10GT3,11RS, 15GT3, 16RS that is too redundant for a "regular dude".

I'd rather spend half of those cars and roll into a CGT, or 993 RS etc.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there has been a difference in philosophy as to what GT means for Porsche and the consumer. As you all know this has changed with the 991. The consumer would have wanted a natural evolution of the 997 RS 4.0, while Porsche is thinking 'how can we up the game dramatically'. The natural evolution of a 997 RS 4.0 would be basically the same car, but new Aluminium chassis, and the new DFI. Consumer would have been happy. Porsche thought let's throw all these gubbins (PTV, RWS, PDK, EPS...) into the new GT car and they will lap it up (which is exactly what's happening). Porsche is now realizing that there are a few more of the consumer philosophy out there than they expected. Porsche has a natural tendency to react to the market by moving the progression of the GT line "to be fastest on the race track." Moving forward, they are trying to marry the two philosophies together by including a manual 911 R (and down the line most likely a manual 991.2 manual GT3). It's part of natural progression to have the newer car faster than the old, and as history dictates, Vanilla GT3 has always been a faster, better car, than the previous RS. Porsche will truck forward with their GT philosophy from here on, and will cater to some of the consumer philosophy in the future, just not how we might like it 100%.

Quick Reply: Trying to understand Porsche!