Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really starting to like Chin - Happy Hour!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:15 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Really starting to like Chin - Happy Hour!

I've done three events now with Chin, two at TWS and one at MSRH. Other than a long driver's meeting (bring a chair), I have to admit I'm really growing fond of the format and adult attitude of the event. Instructor load is good and there seems to be just the right mix of socializing and track time.

I'd heard of Chin on RL long before they came out to Texas and heard of the "Happy Hour" at the end of the event where everybody can go on track at the same time (all run groups). Passing is allowed anywhere with a point, but does not have to be in turns to accommodate the newbies.

The one at MSRH last weekend was a hoot. After finishing off my student's paperwork, I managed to get out for the last half of Happy Hour. Coming out of the gate I spied Rennlister SierraLima about a 1/2 dozen cars up in a white Spec Miata. She got by me earlier in the day, so I had my rabbit, albeit with a lot of traffic:

Talk about the "perfect" DE session. Lots of cars on the track, all skill levels, no drama and not a train in sight. Bagged SL at 15:04 , however she kept me honest for the rest of the session . Texas_RS makes a brief appearance at 7:44 - well driven and holy **** that car has legs. A couple more Rennlisters are out there as well.

Oh, it was 103 degrees, but at least it was a moist heat . I got in a crapton of track time and my student did as well .

-Mike

PS: VR - Come out to one of the PCA MSRH events. The M3 suspension dynamics in the "Rhythm Section" between the Bus Stop and Launch is just freaking perfect as is the way it digs out of Diamond's Edge.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

I'd love to...but not in August...
Old 07-27-2016, 01:51 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Chin events are great. The long drivers meeting is a feature, not a bug, IMO. Assuming it was Mark or Jack, they really set the tone for the day in that meeting.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:43 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

SierraLima was on 25+ heat cycle tires, had a jacked up RF alignment from hitting the gators in the bus stop and is down on power with 16% leak down on #2. She wants a rematch.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:52 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to my first Chin event at Summit Point this weekend.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

The long drivers meeting is not a plus. Everything could be said in half the time
Old 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by surlynkid
SierraLima was on 25+ heat cycle tires, had a jacked up RF alignment from hitting the gators in the bus stop and is down on power with 16% leak down on #2. She wants a rematch.

Well I had old, used up Maxxis Victor Racers up front and NT-01s on the back. Maybe she shouldn't run over the gators . As as her mechanic, maybe you should do something about that motor?

In all seriousness, I see you guys about once every two months and every time she has gotten better. The only place I was really catching her Saturday was Diamond's Edge and that's why it took 15 minutes to run her down. If it wasn't for power, she would be faster than me at TWS .

I would very much enjoy a rematch.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2016, 03:23 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Chin events are great. The long drivers meeting is a feature, not a bug, IMO. Assuming it was Mark or Jack, they really set the tone for the day in that meeting.
Perhaps, as I certainly can't argue the results especially as I've never attended one of their events as a student.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I was out there in the morning in my grey E46 M3. I got by you in the 9:00 am session. I thought there might have been something going on with your car because I saw you come out of hot pits a few laps later.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:57 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I was out there in the morning in my grey E46 M3. I got by you in the 9:00 am session. I thought there might have been something going on with your car because I saw you come out of hot pits a few laps later.
I remember that. No problem, just dropping off my student. He wanted to go out in the session with me, but I needed him to go to class, so I gave him a hand full of laps, pulled off the track, stopped in front of the classroom and gave him a Terminator-esk "Get Out!", and went back on track.

Maybe it was the tires, but I really sucked on the big carousel. Seemed like *everybody* was faster than me there. The grey Miata I easily got around at 10:09 was over my *** so much in the carousel that I thought somebody else snuck up on me and I gave him a point - then got by him again after Diamond's Edge.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 07-27-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:28 PM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's was me in the silver miata! Good to meet you, mike. The ole mx5 didn't have enough powa to keep up. Time for headers and a tune. She kept up pretty good in the corners for being on 200tw street tires.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
As as her mechanic, maybe you should do something about that motor? Mike
I have the new head and the gasket set here ready to go. I wanted to wait till after Chin. I just needed it done before the NASA race Labor Day weekend. I will do it this weekend.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

How many cars did you have at the event?

I'll be with Chin at Summit Point this weekend and it looks like we have close to 80 cars on the roster. Happy Hour will be interesting if close to everyone gets on the track.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:05 PM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
How many cars did you have at the event?

I'll be with Chin at Summit Point this weekend and it looks like we have close to 80 cars on the roster. Happy Hour will be interesting if close to everyone gets on the track.
About the same, but this is my second chin event and you never get all the cars in the happy hour.

The novice session leads up to the happy hour and plenty of people have had enough by the end of the day. Especially in the two day events.

Chin has this HPDE format nailed. Their events flow so much better than others. Only 3 run groups allows for so much more track time.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I remember that. No problem, just dropping off my student. He wanted to go out in the session with me, but I needed him to go to class, so I gave him a hand full of laps, pulled off the track, stopped in front of the classroom and gave him a Terminator-esk "Get Out!", and went back on track.

Maybe it was the tires, but I really sucked on the big carousel. Seemed like *everybody* was faster than me there. The grey Miata I easily got around at 10:09 was over my *** so much in the carousel that I thought somebody else snuck up on me and I gave him a point - then got by him again after Diamond's Edge.

-Mike
Tires make a big difference on carousel (and sweeper). I am able to stay in mid to high 80's through there on Hoosiers. I can probably go through sugar and spice faster but the wall is full of paint from others that have tried before me.

I started Chin as solo driver so have never received their instruction on passing per se though I know most of the instructors from other organizations. But passing is Chin is better than any other group I have run with. You very rarely lose speed passing or get caught up in a train. Folks are super predictable and everything just flows well. You see that in your video.

Quick Reply: Really starting to like Chin - Happy Hour!